1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to stop habitual lying.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by GayBatman, Aug 20, 2016.

1. GayBatman

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Does anybody else enjoy lying? I find it thrilling and somewhat arousing when I lie. Especially when I get away with it. I've done it so much it's almost like second nature. I could be going to get a Slurpee and when asked I say some bullshit like "I'm heading to Walmart". In person that is, I never lie online. I want to stop but I sincerely can't. Should I tell my psychiatrist? Anybody else like this?

2. thrashgal

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    do u kno that ur doing it BEFORE you do it, and if so have u tried judt being honest? or do u do it then realize u did it?

3. GayBatman

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I usually realize it after I've lied. And when people catch me lying I am as shocked as they are.

4. beckling

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    i'd definitely bring it up to your psychiatrist, maybe they can help you with it. i'd suggest training yourself to think more when you speak, but that might not be an option.

good luck to you, though!

5. wolf of fire

I do the same thing, mostly with my parents, they ask me something and my mouth responds without me telling it to. It is fun and a sort of thrill, I know I trust someone when I can't see the point in lying to them.

6. thrashgal

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    yea it sounds like compulsive lying..i agree with beckling, definitely do bring it up to ur psychiatrist..it could be the result of an underlying issue..but if u chose to just deal with it (which i do not recommend) then try to train yourself to tell the truth instead as to where that becomes habit..as soon as sumbody asks u sumthing tell yourself to not respond right away like stop yourself from talking and just think....then respond with the truth...keep doing this and see if it helps

7. GayBatman

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Thanks everybody for the wonderful advice?

8. SkyWinter

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Why do you want to stop?

9. Guff

May very well be my favorite comment I've ever read on any post LOL 10/10

10. SkyWinter

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thanks. :lol: Though I actually am legitimately curious to know why someone who enjoys lying so much would want to stop.

11. PatrickUK

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Perhaps you need to ask yourself at what point you would stop lying. The example you offered seemed like a fairly small and insignificant lie, but what happens when other people are hurt and wounded by your lies? What happens if you keep chasing the thrill and graduate to very deceptive behaviour that could lose you a job, relationship or family? Would it be so thrilling and arousing to you then?

Do not imagine for one moment that lying is without consequences and that you will always get away with it. Neither of these things are true.

If you have ever been lied to yourself, you will know how bad it feels. You will understand how it damages your trust in the person who lied to you, and it really is one of the shittiest things you can imagine. If the lie is very serious, you can begin to hate the person who deceived you. Would you want to be hated? Hold onto these feelings and use it to change your behaviour - and do it now before things get serious.

If you can't do it yourself, ask for help.