1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Opinion article

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Lychee, Mar 18, 2009.

1. Lychee

For our first ever student-run school newsletter I've been assigned an opinion piece on anything. However, I'm not allowed to do anything too controversial, as the principal of my (Christian) school will be reading the newsletter first.

I'm hoping I can do gay marriage, but don't know if they'll let me. Instead of getting a straight out no, I decided to write an article and then get that read, because it might look better if I do that, and be less likely to be killed. (The article, not me)

The problem is, I have never written an opinion piece before, let alone one on gay rights. Anyone got any ideas?

2. Just Adam

an opinion piece is just that your opinion lychee. if you want to do gay rights and why not :slight_smile: allthough some would see it as controversial all u need do is write down your views what you think its about what its for why its important to you and the lgbt community it just has to be insightfull maybe do a search for statistics like the other topics on here on same sex parenting 54444and maybe include a list of lgbt people who contributed to the world just a thought im sure youll do a smashiing job and i dont see how the principal would want to scrap it as its allowing people to express views and if people have a problem they should write into the school paper and debate them and im not sure how he can scrap it as im sure it would be discrimination lol and has noone heard freedom of the press lol

3. gazwkd

gazwkd Guest

I think you'd be best placed to keep your opinion's low key. Keep to less controversial subjects for the first few then you can gradually move onto the more controversial.

4. The Enigma

The Enigma Guest

*ahem

I feel this must be said.

Are you :***: crazy?

Let me reread this for good measure. "I'm not allowed to do anything too controversial as the principal of my (christian) school will be reading the newsletter first."

Not going to happen. You ARE going to get controversy. It's unavoidable if you want to put an opinion or even facts in a Christian schools newsletter. You're most likely going to be thrown to the wolves. If you're not out, you certainly will probably be suspected. And even then, many people will probably think less of you and certainly talk about you.

Just be aware of those facts. I'm not saying to not do it but you definitely need to be aware of the consequences before hand of what may and may not happen. :slight_smile:

5. silas99

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Whats the point in having an opinion piece if you cannot discuss controversial issues. Your school should be promoting the flood of ideas and should support healthy discussion. Gay marriage is a very controversial issue, so if you want to start big then go for it girl. If you have a well written piece then I dont see why your principle will reject it. He would have no grounds....I doubt he wants to educate discrimination in his school (christian or not).

Obviously because its an opinion piece I would assume you're going to be voicing one side of an argument. Dont preach it though. You should structure your argument and back it up with evidence. For example if you are going to discuss marriage, then you could bring up the statistics of heterosexual marriage (1/3 end in divorce) and the number of civil partnerships/gay marriages that have occurred in other parts of the world. Discuss equality and how it is a given human right. Maybe you could mention a case study to make it more personal.....like that story about the gay ex-military men who have been together for 50 years, yet still arent married. (thats somewhere on this forum).

Thats how I'd go about doing it. You're a brave girl. Good luck with your article.xxx

6. gazwkd

gazwkd Guest

Yes but if it is the first time then why try to write a controversial article that may very well get rejected and get you replaced by someone else. Far better to lull them into a false sense of security and gradually work more controversial subjects in.
    I don't see the good in going straight for the jugular.

I'm not saying don't do it, in fact I encourage anyone to. But it's best to be a bit clever about these things especially where your school is concerned :wink:

7. Lychee

I don't anticipate the consequences to be as drastic as you've mentioned. Even though my school is Christian, it's not Catholic or anything.

I know I'm going to get controversy. I just want to write a piece that gets people talking, y'know? I highly doubt people are going to think less of me. Everyone at my school knows I'm a firm supporter of gay rights, probably due to the "support gay marriage" badge I wear on my school uniform :slight_smile:

Yeah, I reckon they're just gonna kill the article :frowning2: Grr

The reason I wanted to start in the deep end, is to make the newsletter noticed and talked about. I doubt people are going to you know, talk about the creative writing pieces in detail, so I thought this could make the newsletter seem interesting to read. Plus, we may be swapping roles, so I want to right about the issue closest to my heart while I have the chance

Are you allowed to use first person in an opinion piece?