1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Would you rather be rich and lonely or with little money and the love of your life?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by lovetoomuch, Aug 21, 2016.

1. lovetoomuch

So, I have put a lot of thought into this question. We can say rich is "living extremely comfortable and having the ability to live very lavishly." Little money can be "struggling paycheck to paycheck and constantly short on money."

And let's say you are stuck in these situations the rest of your life
    - so if you choose to be rich, you will never find the love of your life (but could possibly have hookups). If you choose to have little money, you will always be struggling with your partner financially.

^ The only reason I stated the above circumstance is I know people would say, "I'll be with the love of my life and try to better our financial situation."

I guess this is more of a question of money or love. So, would you rather be rich but never in a serious relationship OR struggling with money but accompanied by the love of your life (in other words, your "perfect match")

---------- Post added 21st Aug 2016 at 02:46 PM ----------

To answer the question personally, I actually really struggled with the question. At first glance, I would of course want to be with the love of my life and we would deal with the financial struggles together.

However, then I thought about it and being short on money would probably cause numerous fights... since he would be my perfect match though, we should be able to work out any fights or arguments.
    I guess a perk of being rich and never in a serious relationship is no one is going to marry you your money - lol.

Nevertheless, I would still go with the love of my life and little money. To me, being rich doesn't seem very appealing if I don't have a significant other to share it. I think being lonely would bother me a lot more than having little money.

If the option was "with the love of my life and homeless," I really don't know which one I would choose.

2. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Re: Would you rather be rich and lonely or with little money and the love of your lif

Ideally, one would pick people over things. Thus being poor, but with a love of one's life.

That said...at this point, I'd vote for "Rich." Part of this is colored by the fact that I am in a very bad place for cash flow, and I'm tired of poverty. As I told my therapist last week, it's tiresome hoping that a roll of paper towels will last so that I can put off that 59 cent investment.

I guess I've also sort of thought that there is a real chance that I'll be single for the duration.

While money can't buy happiness, it certainly can help make one's life easier. And it could buy opportunities that one would never have when poor. A chance to travel, for example (and not just Hawaii, but also places that could broaden one's horizons). One could also use the money to try and help make the world a better place, which could give huge satisfaction.

#2 BMC77, Aug 21, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 21, 2016
  3. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Re: Would you rather be rich and lonely or with little money and the love of your lif

I'd probably go with the love of my life option. Being lonely sucks, especially when it's that I'm so lonely even though I'm surrounded by people type of lonely.

I'd go with the poor option either way, but how poor are we talking? Like never go on vacation and ride the bus everywhere? Or not being able to cover your physical well-being? And my family isn't rich and I don't have any really rich friends, but I'm willing to bet some rich couples fight over money too - "What? You bought that $2 000 purse? Blah blah blah" :lol:

4. AgenderMoose

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people

Little money and the love of my life. I've already lived with financial struggles, so I know what that's like. And despite financial struggles, I still lived. And my family and friend have always been kind to me, so I know it was all okay. Being with the love of my life seems the better situation, even if it means we'll struggle financially.

5. kibou97

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people

Personally, poor but with my love. I've thought about this before and while it may fix some things, I'd never want to win the lottery. Sure, winning a few thousand would help but I feel that if I end up with an incredibly large amount of money, i'd turn into basically a selfish monster which isn't who I want to be. I love my friends and family and I desperately want to fall in love with somebody at some point so while having loads of money may make life easier, money can be replaceable, even if it may be difficult to come by at times, but true meaningful relationships are never replaceable.

#5 kibou97, Aug 21, 2016
  6. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

I'd pick the money, assuming that it's not necessarily something vulgar like a lottery but the rewards of a successful career or the good management of assets. And assuming that 'loneliness' is limited to the romantic sphere rather than reducing one to a Citizen Kane level of opulent isolation.

Being single, one can still have a very rewarding life. Being desperately poor entails a stressful and miserable existence and I'd rather not go through that than have someone to share it with.

Wealth is not sin and it's delusional to think one should willingly choose poverty - I think there's a bit of a myth of the happy and morally pure indigent that belies both common sense and the entire purpose of social democracy and development.

7. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Rich but lonely.

I don't mind being lonely or single. In fact, I'm turning 26 this year and still haven't had any romantic or sexual experiences but haven't felt depressed over it. I have one close best friend and dislike most social outings. Not all of us even want to be in a relationship, myself included.

But I grew up in a household where we were poor and struggled with financial difficulties. I still, at my age, never went to college, never moved out from my parents place, never even got my own car, and all for one reason only: We can't afford it. The financial difficulties are tearing my parents apart. They might 'love' each other, but the arguments are more intense, and so is the misery knowing they cannot provide happy lives for their own children.

#7 Creativemind, Aug 21, 2016
  8. Brytaleith

Love of your life? Perfect match? Wow, can this get any easier? (Laughs a disenchanted, aromantic asexual)

Obviously, I'm choosing the money, don't be ridiculous.

1. I don't believe in the "perfect match".
    2. I wouldn't suffer from the loss of that love.
    3. Money would make a tremendous difference in my life
    4. Money would make a whole lot of difference in everyone else's life
    5. You know, giving out money for free? To people who need it? Like, donations and research funding and improving the education system?

So when y'all lovers run out of cash come find me, yeah? :slight_smile:

9. killswitch0029

Rich. I'm naturally a pretty solitary person so being lonely wouldn't be an issue for me.

10. Reciprocal

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Rich and lonely. I don't need a "love of my life". I would, however, appreciate a load of money.

11. Lawrence

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Rich and lonely. It almost physically hurts to imagine never enjoying crazy high levels of emotional connection again. However, I could learn to cope if I were allowed to keep friends. Plus a metric fuckton of money would obviously be fun and useful!

I don't think I'd be able to deal with being dirt poor

12. lukeluvznicki13

Rich and lonely.

I could use my money to invest in social responsibility projects and be able to be actively involved in politics.

13. Ryu

Ryu

Rich and lonley. I want a Gretsch with the letters 'CS' on the back of the headstock!

Also, da money brings in mad pussy.
    And D.

Innit fam.

#13 Ryu, Aug 22, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2016
  14. sonnentanz

Supposing we have enough to eat and keep our home, but nothing extra, I'd rather be poor with love. Money matters but ultimately human connection matters most. Otherwise I'd go with rich and single, and focus on other things. Basic needs matter more.

15. timo

I'm gonna pick the rich-and-forever-alone option. I've been single all my life and I'm not sure if I want to change that :grin: Plus, never struggling with money again seems very appealing. I'm very bad when it comes to being responsible with money so having enough of it forever sounds good :lol:

16. Calf

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Definitely poor and in love.

This was a real life conundrum for me not so long ago. What is the true value of wealth and material positions? What is the value of love and companionship?
    The answer is probably very different for each person but for me the need for companionship is an inner desire, the lust for wealth is an external pressure ingrained from living in a capitalist society.
    In other words, it's me that wants to be in love and everyone else that expects me to be a slave to capitalism.

Luckily for me, I'm already in love and well on my way to being poor :icon_wink

17. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people

Poor and with the love of my life. Being lonely sucks.

18. Xeno

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

I'd rather be poor and be with the love of my life, because while money would be nice, the money would probably disappear more quickly than my love would (hopefully).

19. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Call me old fashioned, but I can imagine a poorman's life growing old with my beloved husband or wife. While being a rich bachelor would come in handy, I don't think I'd be very fulfilled in it.

#19 Kodo, Aug 22, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2016
  20. AmyBee

I'm already poor with the love of my life.