1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Injured Cicada?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Kira, Aug 21, 2016.

1. Kira

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm not quite sure if this is the right area?

But anyway, I tend to go outside a lot more during the night because it's colder. Tonight, I found a cicada with in inward-bent exoskeleton and a broken wing. It's only moving two of it's legs to hobble around slowly.

I felt really bad for it and brought it inside, it was just a sitting duck for the ants out there. Is there anything I can do for it? I'm not exactly an entomologist or anything and I doubt a vet would see it.

2. PrettyinPunk

That's very kind of you to take the little guy in. Can you take a picture of it? If it's not too bad an injury you could try taking care of it temporarily and release it if it gets better. It's possible it's a self inflicted injury due to the molting process. In that case it may not be something that can be healed. If released it would likely die before it could mate.

If you want to take care of it you'll need some kind of container to keep it in. Doesn't have to be big but needs a lid and small holes for air. You can put leaves, grass, flowers but you'll need tree bark and or a tree branch with sap in it. Also make sure the container is in a shaded place and that it doesn't get too dry. Captive cicadas don't tend to live long but it'd be better than being eaten alive by ants imo.

Good luck!

3. Kira

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Alright, I went and got a picture. The dent is pretty bad, and the little guy really isn't moving too much. falls on it's back a lot and can't get up so I keep an eye peeled.

Kinda large picture:
    [​IMG]

4. PrettyinPunk

Poor thing.:icon_sad: It's hard for me to make it out completely but it could be from something putting pressure on him as he was molting. Either way he needs to be able to feed, so be off his back. You can try setting him up on his feet (very gently) onto a tree branch or if you couldn't find one a damp paper towel, so he can get some moisture.

At this point that's probably the best you can do for him.

5. FoxSong

Hmm, I'd probably humanely euthanize him at this point. Freezer would do the trick. He wouldn't survive normally anyway, and as there isn't another molt in his future, there's no chance to repair the Eco-skeletal damage.

6. Awesome

In college in Massachusetts, from Pennsylvania
    Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think that quickly stabbing him through the head would be a lot more humane than letting him slowly freeze to death.

However, if there is hope, you should try to give him food and water. According to google, they eat tree sap.

7. Kira

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah, I tried to see if the poor guy would last through the night. Sadly wasn't moving at all when I got up to check... Feel like I could have done a little better even with the shape I found it in.

I don't know, it's got me a little upset. Thanks though, for responding and all.

8. GayBatman

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I'm sorry for your loss. You seem like a very compassionate person. That's a strength, not a weakness. Don't let anybody tell you otherwise. I wish I could feel compassion, empathy, and sympathy.

#8 GayBatman, Aug 22, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 22, 2016
  9. timo

That insect is proper creepy. Props to you for bringing it in, I'm too much of a pussy when it comes to insects, would have left it outside.

Sorry to hear he didn't make it :frowning2:

10. Ryu

Ryu

Probably a stupid question but...
    Where the hell do you find a cicada? I've never seen one!

11. Kira

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    They hang around on trees here in the hotter climates during summer and spring, you can still find their molted "baby" shells on the trees a little while after they mature.

They aren't a super common sight but have been around more recently, I assume due to climate change. If you've never seen one, the local temperature is probably too low?

Anyways yeah, thanks everyone. Still no movement at all today, I think I got there a little too late. At least I'm a bit better educated, should it happen again...