1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Why are there so few gay or trans people in the population?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by SkyWinter, Aug 23, 2016.

1. SkyWinter

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Even though I think the numbers are a little higher than what gets reported it's nowhere near being what many people think which is like 25% of the population. It's more like 5% -10% at most.

Unless these numbers are wrong?

So why are there so few? I was thinking about this today, and it kind of makes me sad. I think that's why a community like this is so important.

2. grizzleybear33

If the chances someone was gay was too high the species would die off. At this point we gays are a blessing in disguise for the earth since we sort of help the whole overpopulation problem.

3. RainbowGreen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I believe that it is higher than 10%, at least were I'm from, or gay people are drawn to each other on a subconscious level. I still believe it is closer to 15% to 20% than 5% to 10%.

Most of my close friends are gay or bisexual and I didn't even know it until years after meeting them.

As for why there's so few of us, exactly like said above, it's not really advantageous for a specie to be gay (though I do believe nature uses gay people to reduce population, in a less lethal way than sicknesses or predators).

4. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Because the biological purpose for most humans is to reproduce. That's not to say that being gay is bad or a mental disorder or anything, just that it wouldn't be practical for 90% of the population to be gay.

5. Opheliac

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I think there are two ways of looking at this, from biological and social standpoints.

As has already been said, it's not biologically advantageous for a species to have a homosexual majority. However, the social aspect comes in when you consider the fact that humans do not have sex for the sole purpose of procreating. It's my belief that a lot of straight cis people are more variant on the gender and orientation spectra than they really know. Maybe they don't express it or feel excluded because they are not uncomfortable with being where they are, but that doesn't mean they would necessarily be uncomfortable with other options either, as long as they knew they had support.

Im really not sure I am phrasing this well, I guess what I'm trying to say is that having defined lines between the labels we identify with may be restricting expression of people who do not fall into those exact categories, and often people who weren't uncomfortable to begin with will just stick to what they know and what is safe, i.e. heteronormativity.

(I really don't know if I'm being clear, I will respond again if I can think of a better way to phrase this)

6. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I'd imagine it would be counter-productive, on an evolutionary level...

7. notmyfault

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Eh. I don't know about the percentages of gay and/or trans people, but I do think a lot of people, most people even, are bisexual to some degree. Like 1-5 on the Kinsey scale.

8. GayBatman

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    The population growth/decline argument isn't valid. A gay man can still impregnate a lesbian woman if they so choose to. Nothing in our DNA that says we can't.

9. Reciprocal

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    They probably wouldn't choose to though. So the population argument is valid, because gay people are still much less likely to make babies, even though it is possible.

10. SkyWinter

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Basically what you're saying is "straight people" might not be quite as straight as they say but they are happy where they are and so don't challenge their own view of their straightness.

Is that what you meant?

It makes me wonder if the gay population will inevitably decline though as gay people don't end up in marriages with straight people and don't have kids anymore. Unless I guess gay people have biological kids through some other means? Or unless I'm missing something in terms of the way people are born gay through genes?

I wonder if the rates of trans people will be the same?