1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Honestly, how do you feel about death?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by g013z, Aug 24, 2016.

1. g013z

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know this is pretty deep but hey it's midnight here, meaning it's my existential crisis time!!
    I am actually afraid of dying, mostly because of the pain I would feel the entire time, and I'd also feel like closing a videogame without saving first (that feeling, but stronger ofc); but I'm more curious about it. I mean, we don't know what's gonna happen next. Our senses could still be awake and we couldn't be able to move, maybe we're going to heaven or hell, maybe we all become ghosts (whoooo), and mostly I feel curious about what I would actually feel while dying,, mmmh...
    I hope you'll live a long and happy life tho (!) , don't think about this kind of stuff too much, enjoy life

2. PinkCarnation41

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It can't happen soon enough for me.

3. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Like a video game that you turn off without saving... That's a good anology.

Well, I am a Christian; I don't believe death is the end. To borrow an anology from Doctor Who, imagine if babies in the womb could communicate with one another. What do you think they'd say? How long do you think a "lifetime" lasted? Nine months. Nine months of swimming around in a warm womb until one day the trap door opens, the cord is cut, and they're gone. You never hear from those people again. Same way with life, maybe death isn't the end, per se, but the entry into the next phase.

It is interesting to think about, though I don't pretend to know anything for sure. Evidentially, there is very little one can concretely know about the afterlife. As for me, there is a combination of the fear of the unknown - like floating out in very deep water and not being able to fathom what may like below - mixed with ravenous curiosity, and finally, a deep seated hope and relief for another chapter.

And if I'm wrong and there is nothing, well, I don't think I'll care too much at that point.

4. Ryu

Ryu

Death is one of two inevetabillities in life along with birth. Everything will die in due course, but in the time between the two inevetabillities, you must make the most of your time alive.

So of course I spend all of it playing guitar, watching anime and writing on forums in my room.

Oh yeah, I don't care what happens after I die, I can think about that when I get there, I have more interesting things to be doing.

#4 Ryu, Aug 24, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 24, 2016
  5. PrettyinPunk

I think its normal for people to fear death. Its a natural instinct that I believe all complex living things share. No matter what you believe in as an afterlife I think most would agree that its very different than a physical existence.

Some people can find comfort in death with their beliefs of what comes next. I think thats something to think about. I dont think you should be overly worried about death. Its a part of life, no one escapes, and it can happen suddenly and without expectation. I think its much better time spent focusing on your life in the moment. Think of all the things you want to do both simple and great and have fun.

I don't fear death (I probably should) but that doesn't mean I'm ready to die. Far from it! I'm loving life and I've still got so much to do, so deaths gonna be waiting on me for awhile yet. I do understand the fragility of my own existence and thats why I'll live life how I want.

I believe in souls, after my body is gone the soul will exist but my life as it is now will be complete. And I'm ok with that, I've made peace with it as they say.

I'm sorry your having an existential crises but I won't lie, love deep topics like this. Try to take it easy if possible.:slight_smile:

6. YaSabesQuien

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It's just something that will happen in my opinion.
    I practice ancestor veneration and because of this I really don't fear death. I honor my ancestors by lighting candles and practicing other ancestral rites. Every November I make a shrine for them and offer them food and drink. This ritual is very common in Mexico and the gay community are some of the most ardent supporters of this tradition.

7. JonSomebody

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Initially, I had a lot of mixed feelings about death especially when my dad died when I was really young. He was pretty young when he passed as well and once I became an adult, I kind of figured that I would not live as long as I have thus far. However, while in college, I took a course that dealt with dealing with death and grieving as a whole which helped me a lot with understanding the process of it. Actually, when my partner died, I did not take it well at all and went into a severe depression. It wasn't until I took this course that I began to accept and embrace it all because at the end of the day, we all will pass on and therefore, I try not to deal with a lot of unnecessary negativity and stupid drama from people, I can completely disconnect myself from those individuals who bring it into my presence because life is not promised to none of us...live it to the fullest.

8. Jellal

It's pretty terrifying. Thinking about it too much makes life seem especially pointless. Moreso than usual, I mean.

9. SAYGEUR

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I don't know how to feel about death, sometimes I can be ok with it, but at other times it can hit hard, I think the worst bit about death is the permanent loss of communication with someone for good, or watching someone else try to cope with the loss.

I take that what happens after death is just nothing. While you can be remembered for the person you were, which for some people means you "still live on", I don't believe that you become a spirit or have an afterlife. I just think that theres nothing. Now, I don't know how to explain the nothing, but I can relate it to a physics concept of how the world started: once there was nothing, then there was something. Its hard to think about, since theres not really anything to compare "nothing" to, if you try to think of nothing, youre still thinking of something.

10. L0ser

Used to be frightening, but after some intense years questioning all of my beliefs and thoughts I've grown pretty okay with the idea of death. Most of my friends would call me a nihilist, while I would consider myself to be in line with absurdism; and more specifically the ideas of Albert Camus(in regards to how he viewed religion/spiritualism). One of the reasons I found out about this idea, is I wondered about how to view suicide, and the general idea of the philosophy gave me an answer I would agree with.

Basically, I don't think anything ultimately matters and there is no afterlife. Weirdly this can be depressing or optimistic in regards to death, depending on if you agree with this philosophy and how okay you are with it. I don't know if I'll always follow these specific ideals through life, but for literal years now I've been bouncing between things like nihilism, absurdism, and existentialism.

11. OGS

OGS

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As I get older I think more and more about it in terms of the people I will leave behind and trying to ease that transition. I've had four deaths in the family in the last four years and it's made me think quite a lot about it. My main thing is to make sure that my husband is alright if I go first--it can be awful being left behind.

12. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't take death well and I am scared to die and I don't think there is a heaven or a hell.

13. Morse Code

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I spend so much of my time depressed and miserable that I'd be okay with dying I think, but I suppose you have to really go through it to have that feeling you described, not having done everything or having unfinished business. I do wonder about the afterlife, if there is one (I think there is but who really knows?)

14. Anthemic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Sometimes I'm afraid, and sometimes I'm ok with it. I'm more afraid of what's after death.

15. Burnedcloset

It's the ultimate equalizer. I am sacred it's coming too soon for me though. The idea that everyone will eventually die is very peaceful to me and satisfying in a way.

16. Robert

Robert Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Do any of you remember what it was like for you before you were concieved? How did you feel? Did you see anything? Did you hear anything? Did you see nothingness? Could you see at all?
    There is nothing. Eternal nothingness awaits us all. No memories. No feelings. No thoughts. Not even darkness. There is nothing.

Death scares the shit out of me.

17. Brytaleith

I'd just like to pop in with a quote from Caesar (the William Shakespear version), which explains very succintly my view concerning death:
    "Of all the wonders that I yet have heard,
    It seems to me most strange that men should fear,
    Seeing that death, a necessary end,
    Will come when it will come."

I don't see a reason to fear death. It's a waste of time, if you will, especially since no one knows when they're going to die. Wouldn't it be better to focus on what you do when you're alive, rather than fretting about an unpredictable, inevitable end?

Sorry if this was absolutely no comfort at all. It works for me, but not many others.

18. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Same here. The sooner the better

19. DoriaN

Not afraid at all, it just means I get to see Daddy sooner! <3

If there was nothing past this life, I'm braindead and ignorant, so regardless of whatever else happens be it I die today or in 40 years it won't matter.

That said, I'm a follower of Christ Jesus so while I value my short time here I have a greater hope and expectation awaiting day by each passing day ^_^

As well, funerals and loved ones passing don't feel as hurtful, because really I just don't get to see them for a short while, and often they were in agony so I am thrilled to see them in well-being and glory.

---------- Post added 25th Aug 2016 at 02:19 AM ----------

I'm sorry to hear that, don't be scared! It will be okay.

20. Joelouis

I have a lot of animals that I see live and die literally on a weekly basis. Not one of them is afforded a soul and not much thought of them "passing on" to another place is considered. So why should I think we humans are any different?

I can still remember and recall past friends and family that have gone and it can be upsetting to think that their only animate existence is in those memories I still have of them. Dreams of those people can both cheer me up and hurt at the same time. They seem so alive and real but in my heart I know they're gone - just like we all will one day.

As soon as the last person to know you in the flesh dies, your very existence will be history as no one living will have any memory of you whatsoever.

Anyway.....I'm off to work.

Have a good day all!

#20 Joelouis, Aug 25, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 25, 2016