1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Longest distance you've walked

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by olides84, Mar 18, 2009.

1. olides84

So I was listening to the song '500 miles' and it got me to thinking...

What is the longest distance you've walked in a day?
    What was the situation - were you hiking, doing some event, car broke down, hopelessly lost?

[YOUTUBE]ZeuNxMY_5Uo[/YOUTUBE]

2. Shevanel

LOL that's a great song! 90s memories :slight_smile: once i walked from a town near the border in southern upstate NY across the border to Connecticut. it was like in the forest and it was to a awesome waterfall and stuff. SO sweet. Called BishBash falls. probably not the farthest i walked, but it was pretty far. :slight_smile: also anywhere around Manhattan, LOTTA walking around there, so fun :slight_smile:

3. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Probably would have been on school camps, where we hiked for hours. Back then nobody believed that I actually had a disability, so the hikes just about killed me and everyone thought I was just being lazy.

4. cjtom

cjtom Guest

I dunno if its the furthest I have walked to but I walked something like 17 miles, to the city centre and back, which took me just over 2 hours both ways. My feet hurt after that :frowning2: (however I did do Duke of Edinburgh which was also a whole days hiking...can't remember how far that was though!)

5. Owen

In Loving Memory Full Member

I usually take walks that are a bit longer than an hour and a half whenever I have the time. That's about five miles if we use the statistic that the average walking speed for men is 3.5 mile per hour. It's quite a workout, but its satisfying to know that I can do it.

6. Umm when I first got to school I wandered around the state of Rhode Island for like 8 hours. I was completely lost in the woods but it took me a good few hours to get back to where I started.

7. Just Adam

prob about 16 miles i was fitter then id pass out if i tried that now ( needs gym) lol

8. Absentminded

Over the summer, I walked 5 miles to see if the girl I liked was home (she had no cell service, and I didn't know her home number), and it turned out she wasn't home. I had to walk most of the way back. So...about 8 miles.

9. Apocalypte

I've actually run further than I've walked, and that would be 8 miles.

10. biisme

Wow. Where did you walk?

11. Greggers

I walked ALL of Amsterdam when i was in the Netherlands last. Basically i did a circle around, then walked all the way across it. I got to see alot, but it was like...walking...the entire day....

12. J Schuelke

When I was spending a summer vacation in Upper Michigan at Porcupine Mountains, I hiked 37 miles in a day while hiking to lake of the clouds from the cabin we had rented out.

It kind of sucked though because according to the map, the trip should have been about 17 miles, so we thought, " ahh that shouldn't be too bad." Long story short, we were dragging by the time we got back, and slightly infuriated when we found out that we almost walked double what we should have.

But the scenery was good, and I took some good pictures, so I guess it paid off.

13. Nodnarb

I would guess that it was the day I spent wandering around downtown Chicago with a group of friends. That day was a lot of fun, but my feet were killing me that night.

14. Haha I was down in Kingston, and that area of the state is all trees and farmland. So I was like lost in the woods for hours. It was a good time lol.

15. biisme

Oh....I see. :slight_smile:

This reminds me of the time my dad thought it was a brilliant idea to walk along the bike path from one town to the other along this river. Yea...may have worked except that they hadn't yet been connected. So, at one point we just walk right off the path and the next thing we know we're trekking through the woods, sliding down huge hills, crossing various other rivers and walking under highways bridges (still in the woods). All of this right after a huuuuuuuge meal. Ugh. Never again. Took us hours and hours to walk a relatively small distance.

16. VanceA

In August of last year My roommate and I went on a Hike that went 32 km and 1.5 Km's up and down. It ended up taking us 8 hours and i was nearly delusional at the end. The worst part was that it snowed the entire way and there were icicles all over the top of the mountain....

This one to be exact.
    [​IMG]

17. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

Tbh I'm not entirely sure, but I would say about 5 miles...not that impressive lol.

18. Derek the Wolf

Almost every day over the summer I walked 5-10 miles every day. So I'm not really sure, but it's probably somewhere around 12-15 miles.

19. Adelric

I once walked around our cabin's block... Took about an hour and a half to get down each road, about seven hours in total. So much pain afterwards. D:

20. SlickyPants

When I read the title of the thread I thought I would have had all of you beat but it seems I'm not even close. The longest distance I have walked was 16 km. I can be very frugal at times and I hate paying for cabs so one night I decided to walk home from the bar. The bar is downtown and I live on the edge of the city. It took me about 3 hours and it is about half-way from east-to-west across the city. It went by fairly quickly because I had an mp3 player on me to keep me company. For the record, cab-fare is usually about $30 from that bar to my house.

I'm very impressed with some of the other distances people have walked here.