1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Do couples call each other by name?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Worgen2, Aug 28, 2016.

1. Worgen2

Worgen2 Guest

Do most couples doesn't matter gay or straight call each other by there name or they say like hun, babe, baby, dear, etc?

2. SHIELDAgentAlex

I think it just depends on the couple. My female friends who're dating call each other by name; I called my ex babe.

3. Worgen2

Worgen2 Guest

So it isn't weird if my bf always calls me by my name and I always say hun or hunny or baby, etc? Or is he just too young and doesn't know how to say those things. He never had a bf before in his life though.

4. SHIELDAgentAlex

No, maybe it's just not a thing he does. Some people don't do the whole "babe" thing, some do.

5. Worgen2

Worgen2 Guest

Well I can say that it took around 6 months before he started to say "you too" back to me when I say I love you. I told he needed to say that and now his been doing it most of the time. Sometimes he forgets if I don't remind him so I thought maybe in the future he will say hun, dear, babe, etc? He is 22 now almost 23 and I' am 31 almost 32. We are pretty much exactly 9 years age apart.

6. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't think it has to do with age or relationship length. I have been with my girlfriend for 7 years and I call her by her name. Occasionally I will call her honey or girlfriend but generally her name.

7. YaSabesQuien

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    My parents are very affectionate towards each other and have nick names for each other. I've never heard my mother call my father by his first name.
    They call each other "amor" which means love in English.

8. thepandaboss

Think it depends. Like with my (abusive) ex, he actually got mad at me one time because I called him by his first name instead of using one of the pet names he invented for himself. My parents would alternate with names and pet names.

9. iiimee

Personally, I REALLY like pet names- I give everyone nicknames, regardless of if we're just acquaintances or what. XD However, if my partner was REALLY adamant I didn't use them, I probably wouldn't... Most of the time I usually drop the "friend" nickname I gave someone when we were friends though, and instead call them something more simple and cute when we're dating... I remember I had a whole list of things that I called one ex I had before we dated, but during the relationship she was always "Babe" or just "Katie"...

10. Brytaleith

No, of course not! What sort of question is that? It's a well-known fact that couples call each other by anything but their real names. Couples call each other honey, or babe, or darling, or another whole host sweet syrup-y words dripping with the faint, cloying scent of romance, and when they run out of conventional pet names, they start getting creative. Creative like Angel Eyes and Dumpling *gasp*.

Okay so I'm joking. It's definitely up to the couple what they want to call each other. Some people use words to express their affection, others may use gifts or touch or something. It depends on the person, you know?

11. Mlpguy88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My bf likes to reference Scary Movie 2 and always calls me Child. Since he is older than me I call him Geezer. We are stupid like that

12. myheartincheck

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I usually call small children "sweetie" and my fiance "baby" or "honey." When I'm being sarcastic towards him I call him "dear." LoL

As for your partner, maybe he just isn't ready to say those things yet. I don't know him well enough to say though, since it took my fiance and I quite awhile before we started using pet names and some people just don't like using them.

13. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I always call whoever I'm dating by name. I can't stand cheesy pet names. Ugh.

#13 Creativemind, Aug 28, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2016
  14. ThinWhiteDuke

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You shouldn't force people to say "I love you" my ex did that and he's my ex for a reason.

15. Darsch Hielle

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My partner and I both use each other's names... Kind of. We met online so we have a habit of calling each other by our usernames from that site...
    But we've never used "babe" or "baby" or "hun" or anything.

#15 Darsch Hielle, Aug 28, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2016
  16. RainbowGreen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't see myself using pet names at all. I call everyone by their name or their nickname. I think things like ''honey'', ''darling'' and all the others are cheesy :S

17. EleanorHunter

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Depends. I had one girlfriend that I referred to a lot as "bella" (with the Italian accent) or "love". My most recent relationship, there weren't any pet names. That was kind of sad for me, because I like using them every now and then at least.

It sounds like something entirely different with your relationship though. Talk to your parent about his feelings and talk about pet names and such (if they're something you enjoy using, let him know!).

18. Shorthaul

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I only hear my name when I am in trouble lol

It depends on the situation on what we call each other. She has a pet name, but I don't.

19. AgenderMoose

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I do both. I'm the kind of person who will do something like "(name), (name), (name), (name), babe, babe, babe, doll, hon, baby, dear, babe, babe, babe" and so on.

20. Worgen2

Worgen2 Guest

Ya for me too I only use the name Kent when his in trouble or I am worried or upset. Other than that I always say hunny or hey baby and stuff. But Kent for some reason said he doesn't know if he would ever say hey baby or stuff like that. He might he said in the future but now seems like it's hard for him. But as you know we been 113 miles away from each other so mostly we talk on the phone so is that why? I can say he has always not been a phone talker ether he prefers talking in person he said he isn't good a phone calls. Maybe once he lives closer to me which he is planning to move only 13 miles away from me then we would be able to see each other more and he would get use to calling me hunny or so?

Do you guys think that he will get use to calling me in romantic way in the future rather than like we are just friends? All I can say is that it takes time for him to learn seems like since having a relationship is new to him. Although I remember when I had my first bf I did call him baby and stuff so maybe for him it takes longer. He did take a class for social skills since he was soo bad in school days that he didn't have any friends. When I mean bad he didn't know how to make friends.

---------- Post added 28th Aug 2016 at 09:34 PM ----------

I can say with Kent he has never even once called me baby or hun, etc so far. He said he doesn't know if he will ever but he might he said in the future.

---------- Post added 28th Aug 2016 at 09:45 PM ----------

I just hope that he will in the future since to me it doesn't feel right if he calls me like we are just friends even we are more than that. Also I noticed a lot about him is that he acts like we are best friends but he loves me and loves to have sex with me and stuff so kinda weird. But at least now he says you too back to me when I say I love you at ends of calls so that's one big step but sometimes he forgets though. If I say I love you then most of the time he remembers to say you too back but if I don't say I love you he most of the time forgets. I think it might be part of the missing social skills since he said to me he still doesn't have enough social skills like most even he took a class in school for it. It did help a lot since he can make friends now but still not like normal.

#20 Worgen2, Aug 28, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 28, 2016