1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How does one define him/herself as bisexual?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Firepit5, Aug 29, 2016.

1. Firepit5

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I've been coming here for a while because of my 13 year old DD's coming out to me (first as bi) and then as a lesbian. Sexual orientation has always been a non-issue for me emotionally. Always knew one of my (many) brothers was gay, even as a young child before he came out and remember even at 4 or 5 thinking it was no big deal. Obviously it was a big deal for him in the 70's/80/s, etc. When I was growing up during that time, one of the worst insults anyone could hurl at you was to say you were gay. Seriously, boys would tell girls that they were F-------s. WTF?

So now my daughter comes out to me at age 11 and now at 13, my worry is her happiness and the fact that we live in a very small town (one of her friend's mothers has already disallowed her DD to come to our house). My daughter isn't even totally out yet but let's face it. If she's out on social media, she's out. She is basically my clone. Physically and mentally in so many ways. The differences stand out so much just because there aren't many.

This all comes back to ME. : ) Talking to her about her sexual orientation has made me be honest with myself and what I really believe. Now I realize that if I had been born when she was, I think I may have identified as bi. IMO sexual orientation is a spectrum. Don't know where I fit on the spectrum, but the older I get the more I think that I am somewhere more to the 50% of the spectrum than I had always assumed. If I had to assign a number, it would probably be 75% towards hetero. Its hard to describe. I am married to a man and definitely desire and prefer sex with a human that has a penis. : ) But I can see falling in love with who you fall in love with. I hope that makes sense.

2. TheChainedPegasus

Out Status:
    A few people
    Yes, this all makes sense.

I would say that you are bisexual, but simply more attracted to mens, just like me, even if I'm a guy XD

In fact, I don't really bother about naming the Questioning people, as they are way too much genders/sexual orientaions and stuff XD

I'd just ask something I didn't found out yet : What is "DD" ? XD

3. I'm_Danni_x

I agree ^ DD is an abbreviation for dear daughter.

4. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You might just be more open-minded. Maybe a 1 on the kinsey scale.

There are various degrees of sexuality. Someone can be straight/gay and be "exclusive", meaning that they are stone hard rigid and would never sleep with or date their non-preferred sex. The thought absolutely does not appeal at all. They would be either a 0 or 6 on the kinsey scale.

But there are also straight/gay people who are a bit more open-minded. They might date or sleep with their non-preferred sex, but it would be rare and more of an exception type of thing. Think of falling in love with one person but not that gender as a whole, or being open to experimentation but not feeling bi enough. This is a 1 or 5 on the scale.

Bisexuals vary as well. Some bisexuals prefer the opposite sex, some the same sex, and some don't care at all. This is between a 2-4 on the scale, depending on preference. And how strong the preference is is up to that person, but they are free to identify as bi if attraction to both sexes is there.

5. Firepit5

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    This makes a lot of sense. What I wonder is why so many straight people seem to be "exclusive". Or maybe its just that those are the people that are more vocal?

6. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    To be honest, I'm not sure. I think some of it may have to do with heterosexuality being the norm and enforced sexuality, especially in men. A lot of straight men are too afraid to admit any attraction to men at all. Of course, there are also people who are "exclusive" in a natural way as in the thought doesn't appeal at all no matter what, but I feel like they aren't as high as straight culture likes to believe.