1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Misgendered Presents?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by GayPugs, Aug 29, 2016.

1. GayPugs

Ever gotten a present that was clearly intended for the wrong gender?

I guess this is mostly intended for trans* people but I could see this happening to someone who's cisgender, too.

Here's my story:

I'm still not out to my grandparents. (Although, I'm out to my dad so I kind of expected that he would tell my grandparents, which I would personally not have a problem with.) I don't feel like coming out to them is important. They make my life hell for over 10 days a year and when I have to spend a week with them in SUMMER it sucks but I really don't have to see them too often. But, my birthday was a week or two ago so I just got their present now. At first I was excited cuz cool...a present! But, then I remembered that my grandparents are extremely sexist and probably got me a Barbie doll. I took one look at the bag it was in and was convinced: it's a Barbie. The bag was bright pink with the words "Birthday Girl" on it. I took out the present and the card, which had barely legible handwriting probably from my grandmother. I opened the presents and two things went through my mind:
    1) Yay books! (!)
    2) F**k they're pink.

Yeah, pink notebooks. I know, I know, I know, this is super dumb because I'm not even out to them but they KNOW I hate the color pink, I have CLEARLY STATED to them MULTIPLE times that pink is my most despised color! It just sucks that I have to keep getting these gifts every year that say "special little girl", "birthday girl", "it's a girl" reminding me of how I'll never be a real boy.

Ok, well, this was longer than I meant it to be, basically, anyone else ever gotten a present that was clearly not intended for their gender?

2. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Special little girl is definitely annoying, but that's the unfortunate implications of not being out.

Pink isn't really a gendered thing though IMO, considering I'm cis but I don't like pink or super girly stuff. I actually had to ask my grandparents and aunts/uncles to stop sending me pink/super girly cards and gifts since I despise them. So you're definitely not alone there.

3. thepandaboss

It is though, especially these days. It shouldn't be. I mean, it's literally just a color, but there's no denying that time and time again, pink's often associated as a "girly" color.

Honestly, "girl toys" and gifts are often so generic and boring. At least stereotypical boys toys have more than one color.

But used to get this all the time as a kid cause, of course, I wasn't out, I was femme-presenting and very self-conscious about being open and acknowledging I wanted to be a boy, etc.

So...childhood full of Barbies, Polly pockets, etc. Luckily when I came out (I was 18), things got a little more gender neutral, even with people who had trouble accepting me (thankfully few).

And thankfully when I was a teenager, the people who knew me the best usually stuck to things like books and nice notebooks, which are gender neutral for the most part. Except for when I'd get teen YA romance.

4. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    All I'm saying is it shouldn't be. Cis women can hate pink. Cis men can like pink. Trans men can like pink. Trans women can hate pink. Non-binary people can do whatever. And I know people in all four categories.

I understand what you're saying in that society genders it to an extent that "You're a girl, you like pink" and so they may gift it because of sexist stereotypes, but I feel when society progresses, this will change. I'm uncomfortable using stuff like this to portray gender though as it invalidates the gender of not only many cis people, but also trans people who don't follow gender stereotypes, but feel "forced" to for validation.

#4 Creativemind, Aug 29, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 29, 2016
  5. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yeah, I've gotten presents "clearly intended for the wrong gender".

But I was a gendery-bendery kid and surprised my parents didn't seem to care.

#5 HM03, Aug 29, 2016
  6. Bobsleigh1

Bobsleigh1 Guest

I've never gotten a misgendered present.
    I pick out all my gifts personally (i tend to get anime figures or gaming merch or YAY NERDY DRAGON ORNAMENTS for the collection anyway).
    Even the ones from my grandparents and other relatives are picked out by me, purchased by my relatives, and handed to me by my parents when the day comes.
    And when my parents do buy me surprise gifts, they know my general tastes anyway (unless of course it's one of those rare and kind of strange moments where they decide to buy me and my sister some kind of 'bathing kit' thingy with, like, flowers and sh*t printed on the box that they know neither of us have any use for anyway, but that's kind of just them being random and not knowing what the heck to buy us when the merch is too expensive but they have left over money).

But, to be a lil' more relevant to the thread finally, birthday cards are a nightmare, even from my parents.
    They buy my brother cards with like cars and comedy and sh*t on them but i'm stuck with bloody 'Me-To-You Bears' doing cute things and high heels and cupcakes on my cards with some kind of 'To our beautiful, cute, adorable, f*cking fabulous, totally toootaally feminine af, like, for suuure, a FEMALE, [grand]daughter/niece who, just to clarify, is most certainly FEMALE' printed all over them...
    Then the cards sit all over the house, bein all pink and sh*t, just... mocking meee...
    I mean, like... i also don't particularly want cars and sh*t either... i like snazzy-lookin' vehicles as much as the next whoever but...
    Nyuueehhhhhhhhhhhhh just no more of this boring gendered crap pleeeaze??...
    It can have some pink on it, pink isn't a gender or a sex nor is blue, but just don't geeennderrr me that wayy with the words and such uuuurrrfff....
    It's... not enjoyable... nah.
    And, DAMN, this was loooong.

#6 Bobsleigh1, Aug 29, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 29, 2016
  7. AlamoCity

Not really. I usually got "boy" toys, or educational kinds of toys. I never really got anything girly. I did get Beanie Babies when I went through a phase (more as a collector that person that played with them).

8. AgenderMoose

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I got a hair straightener once.
    Not exactly a misgendered one but...one that was clearly implying that my grandma wanted me to grow my hair out as my hair is very short.

I also once asked for a Zelda game from my dad and got Just Dance instead. Which is more of a...misinterpretation of interest? Similar thing happened when I asked for a pokemon game except I just...didn't...get it.

And I'm not really out to my extended family, so I always get cards and stuff that are like "my sweet little granddaughter" y'know. I don't really expect that to change despite my dislike for it.

#8 AgenderMoose, Aug 29, 2016
  9. Formality

I once got a pink barbie house as a kid, and I hated it. I actually started crying when I got it. I remember when my mom bought it and I asked her who it was for, but she didn't tell me. It was for me apparently..? I don't know what the story was behind the pink barbie house. I didn't wish for it so why did she buy it? I'll have to ask her what was up with that, if she remembers it.

10. Robert

Robert Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Seems like she was hoping to introduce you to the 'correct' type of toys.

My parents took my doll away from me as I was "getting too old for it". I was 3 years old or something.

11. Reciprocal

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My dad's parents barely know me, so I always seem to get "girly" things from them, like bright pink secret diaries and plastic jewellery. They also buy me hoodies; I've no idea why because I never wear hoodies. My relatives who know me better used to get me toy cars, pens and notepads, books, etc. Nowadays they know I like maths so I have millions of calculators :/

12. Lawrence

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I received a barbie doll and cooked it

Ever since then, I give away unwanted presents (usually things such as 'bath gift sets'), so they don't gather dust

13. Robert

Robert Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    :eek: Send me some of those bath gift sets! I love them :lol: Especially bath bombs!! :slight_smile::slight_smile:

14. GayPugs

My dad told me this story once about my older brother. He said that when my mom became pregnant, when my brother was, about, 3 and a half years old (meh, something like that xD I don't keep track of ages), my mom and dad gave him a baby doll so that he'd see what it was like to have a baby sister. He really liked the baby doll but eventually grandma (my dad's mom) complained because, nope, that toy is too girly! So, dad took it away. That's how the story goes.

Sometimes I wonder how my parents didn't see me being trans* coming. Like, ever since I was little I had a fascination with big trucks. I always liked to look at any, I loved the noise of them, and for my birthday I always asked for toy trucks and Nerf guns that I saw on TV. Yeah, I could have just been a tomboy, but that was some serious tomboyness. I think my grandma saw it coming cuz she ignored anything I ACTUALLY wanted and instead got me Barbies. And then one year I finally complained because I really hate Barbies and she was like, "Oh, gee, sorry! I thought you LIKED them!" Really, grandma? The disappointed look on my face every Christmas when I got a Barbie instead of a truck meant that I actually LIKED them? Oh, gee, never woulda known. And, of course, the ONE time she DOES get me something even close to my taste...it turns out that the card was wrong and it's actually for my brother, who doesn't even play with toys anymore.

#14 GayPugs, Aug 30, 2016
    Last edited: Aug 30, 2016
  15. Lawrence

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'd give some bath gift sets to you if you were one of the first people I saw after receiving them lol

As a side note, I collect some plush animals. They're amazingly soft, so I don't care if people think that is 'girly' or 'childish'!

16. Aberrance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh man, the amount I've god damn had is unbelievable. It really pissed me off because I was always been a tomboy and people couldn't think for 2 seconds about something I might actually like. They'd just get some shitty body lotion or nail polish and I'd have to sit there and pretend to be grateful. I'm glad that now I'm out I'm not going to have to deal with that anymore.

17. Opheliac

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I don't know if this counts but I've been given makeup countless times, which I don't use and never have. Also my aunts insist on giving me these really "girly" shirts, the kind with strap necks and sparkly things on, which I have never been comfortable in.

I've only recently started identifying as slightly gender nonconforming but I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have liked these kind of things even so.

18. soulcatcher

So is there a particular present that would be appropriate for all gender-fluid people?

Perhaps, next time you should tell people what kind of things you like, so they could get you an appropriate present.

19. ScatteredEarth

Well technically nothing that doesn't specifically state it's intention toward a gender is associated wit that gender. On a social level yes, but anyone can have an affinity or attraction to toys/presents of all kind.

20. wolf of fire

Bath and grooming sets that say on them "for men" and try to shriek masculinity and it's just no.