1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

College Roomie??

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Bryan, Mar 19, 2009.

1. Bryan

Hi-

Ok, So I am a bit of a predicament. I am going to be a freshmen at a fairly gay friendly college next year... and I was doing my housing application today.

I cant decide whether I should room blind or attempt to find a gay/gay friendly roommate.

What do you guys think?? And what experiences have you had with this?

Thanks.:icon_bigg
    bryan

2. Gerry

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would probably say go for a gay/gay room mate situation. It might be easier on everyone and you guys would have more in common. Straight guys can be jerky sometimes. But as you said, it's a gay friendly college. That's my opinion. Do what you think will work out best. Good luck. :slight_smile:

3. It can depend on your tolerance of what people say to you.
    My roommate was kinda ignorant and an asshole. But a nice asshole! (that sounds really gay....:eusa_doh:slight_smile: he made comments, but he asked every now and then if they bothered me. i told him they really didnt and if he knew it was a bad day, he usually kept it down.
    Just remember that no matter who you get, be as considerate of them as you want them to be to you and even more so. (IE: dont bring boys home if you arent sure if hes ok with it....especially if hes gone on vacation):eusa_naug:eusa_doh:
    Good luck in college!

4. s5m1

Do they actually give you the option of asking for a gay roommate?

5. pokeypanda

Do you have some people in mind that you wouldn't mind rooming with?

6. Kirakishou

Gay guys can be assholes too, you know.:shrug:

7. Wired106

I would definately choose to be roomed with someone that is gay or is okay with you being gay, because going all the way to college is going to be hard as is, and if you room with a straight guy who doesn't accept you then, it will make even living there harder. So you pretty much won't have a place to turn, which is why you should definately consider rooming with someone that is gay.

8. jangel

I mean if you can find a friend great but if not who cares....they can move out if they want...then you are usually left with a single double for free until you or the college can find you one. Just be honest and like anything else set ROOMATE RULES it is really important I have had some really crummy roomates LOL in my experience the geekyier the better !!!! They are quiet, clean, and study LOL Best of luck I'm sure it will work out everyone is nervous about the roomate situation.

9. sdc91

Do whatever you want. I have a straight roommate, and he's completely fine with it. You'll discover that at first guys will be homophobic to assert their masculinity, then they'll drop it and no one will care. At my school there are two guys rooming together who are obviously gay, and no one really cares.

If you're more comfortable with a gay roommate, go for it. But, the matching process can work wonders, too. I'd rather get matched with a straight guy with the same interests than a gay guy who isn't into anything I'm into.

10. Derek the Wolf

I'd go into it blind personally. If you get a gay roomie then it's no big deal. If you get a straight roomie who's open-minded then it's no big deal. If you get a bigot for a roommate then you'll have a chance to change someone's way of looking at gay people. I'd just leave it up to chance and see what happens. If you really think you'd be more compatible/comfortable with a gay roommate then go ahead and request one. ^.^

11. Hoppip

I'd make an effort to get a gay-friendly roommate, but not a gay roommate. It could be really weird having a gay roommate, because there could be a sense of competition or uneasy/unrequited attraction.

However, if I were you, I'd make an effort to find a gay-friendly roommate for sure. Why? Because then you could be sure that they were okay with you. You'd have the best college experience not being afraid or hating going to your dorm--your whole college experience will be ruined if you're hating going to bed every night. It'll make life hell, and that's one thing you don't need added onto your itinerary when dealing with the normal stresses of college life.

The effort you put in now will pay off when you don't have to deal with some closed-minded kid who's gonna be awkward about everything. It'll be a great weight off of yours AND his shoulders. I wouldn't recommend blind rooming because it's very unexpected the type of personality you'll get. The chances of you getting someone your type will be completely ramped up if you at least make an effort to filter out the ones you don't want. :')

Anyway, I wish you good luck and I hope you get an awesome roommate! :')

12. Greggers

Id rather have a gay-friendly asshole than a non gay-friendly asshole :slight_smile:

got for it!

13. Bryan

Thanks for the advice guys!

I am probably going to end up rooming blind, so we'll see.

14. littledinosaurs

i would see if you could ask for someone who is open minded, but not gay.
    i would hate to have a gay roommate...which sounds odd but w.e.

15. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I went blind. And I got a rich, stuck-up guy from a privledged home with whom I had nothing in common.

...we're still friends. :slight_smile:

Lex