1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Some of my coming out advice.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Eligh, Jul 5, 2005.

1. Eligh

Okay, some people are saying that this place is for support, but all the posts pryor to this one I still stick to. And I have proof to back them up. But anyway, the best coming out advice I have for everybody is to just tell. I dont care how right wing or unaccepting your parents are, if they truely love you they wont shut you out of their lives because you are gay. And if they do, then you dont need them. They're sick people if they throw you out in the streets because you are LGBT. I tell everybody " I'm gay, get over it, your wasting your time trying to change me, because I was born that way, so get over it or fuck yourself ". I know that that may be a little extreme, but what can I say, I am an extreme person. When I see someone getting teased because of who or what they are, I get up in that persons face and I sometimes start some fights. I dont always win, but I sure as hell make that person leave the victim alone. But yeah, just tell them, and they will get over it, and if they dont, then like I already said, you dont need them.

2. goratrix

It takes courage to do that, courage most of us don't have.

Anyway, with a few exceptions that's they way I tell people: I'm gay, and I don't give you room to be uncomfortable with that, if it's a problem for you, then we cannont be friends any more. And I tend to ignore people who are not my friends...

Anyway... I hope it's as easy as you make it sound... I haven't told many people yet, but they all took it all right... so... I don't know... I know that eventually I'll come across someone who isn't so open, and that will hit me real hard.... I just hope it's not AC.

3. confusedkid

confusedkid Guest

Like Goratrix said... not THAT simple...
    Do I smell just a tad of hypocrisy here? YOU might not care how unaccepting a person's parents are... but I guarantee that many other people do. And you're saying that parents should love their children unconditionally, which I agree with. But shouldn't you be equally accepting of your parents and love them just as much, or doesn't it work in reverse? I can't say for everybody, but I DO need my parents, or at least want to be there and a part of the family. And when you say that they're "sick"... they probably think exactly the same thing. It's probably best not to cut them off but try to work things out instead.
    Maybe if you took a less confrontational tone, people would be more willing to listen to what LGBT people are saying instead of seeing us as militant radicals.
    Well, I'm not sure about actually getting into physical fights with people... that doesn't really solve much, IMO. But I definitely stick up for people. It's kinda funny now that I'm older (and bigger) that when I volunteer sometimes with kids and see them harrassing someone, it's now so funny how much authority I carry...usually it's good enough to get kids to stop teasing.

-CK

4. Eligh

You people handle things differentely than myself I guess. But I dont consider myslef militant, I just am a little harsh. I take myself seriously, and protect who I am. And about the hypocracy thing, sure I may have a little bit of it, but them not understanding me gets my engines flared, and I go on the offense, I get in thier face, and make my point, even if it takes a little bit of brutality. Im sorry, but it makes me voulnerable to be so gentle about things, I cant let people get to me. I have a hard exterior, but my inner workings can be easily hurt if you get to them. So if I come off as a psycotic bitch, then I guess that you and I are just a little bit different. But that is just who I am, and I protect myself and my loved ones.

5. hawkeye

eeh, violence. All it does is make people avoid you. If you dont want to be bothered, then go ahead and look like the big guy, but if you want to change their mindset on gays, there is no path in violence.

Also, dont try to impose your views on people. when you force an opinion, people only like you less. this could very well be why you get into fights. Yes it is better for all of us if everyone was out. But saying that everyone should come out for that reason is selfish. Sure it'd be better for us, but in many cases it is unreasonable for kids to be open. it doesnt really matter if many people are open to gays, but i know that with many of my relationships, I do not want anything to be able to change them. There is no way that I'm going to tell someone right now unless i am sure that it will not effect our relationship, and heck, if the person allows everyone to know, then there may be many oppertunities that some people (those sick people you mentioned that are militant against gays) well close on me. Do I want to jump out of Boy Scouts at a moments notice? heck no! but i know it will happen when everyone gets to know i'm gay. and just me coming out will not change the Boy Scouts opinion on gays.

6. goratrix

<MODE hyper-ultra-nerd && harsh>Golan Trevize, Foundation, Isaac Assimov: Violence is the last resort of the incompetent</MODE>

Even though I am sure I can beat just about anyone (and those I exclude are people with a high knowledge of Martial Arts, 4th levels and up), I don't think that getting into a fight is wise, or makes a point other than I am an idiot. Thus, I never fight, I never even lay a finger on others out of anger. (exception: naked wrestling... XD)

Anyway, I won't tell you how to live your life.

I will, however, and only because I can't stop myself, advice you to work things out with your parents... life is so much better with your parent's support...

7. slansky

At the risk of sounding "stereotypic," Eligh lives in Northeast Oklahoma. I've lived there myself. Unless the area has significantly changed (which I doubt) he HAS to take that kind of approach in that part of the country. Don't be too hard on him. :eusa_ange :eusa_ange