1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is Harry Potter too heteronormative?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Robert, Sep 4, 2016.

1. Robert

Robert Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Read more here: The Harry Potter universe still can't translate its gay subtext to text. It's a problem. - Vox

2. Capricorn98

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    why is this such an issue? Jesus Christ

3. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I wouldn't say so. Of course there are going to be more heterosexual characters - that's the case in society. It was also 1998-1991 [I think] when Harry Potter was in school, even if there were more LGBT students, they might fear coming out - and anyway, why do we need to know[?]. I do not need to have a "X person is gay" to be satisfied with the work, since nobody says "X person is straight", and like I already said, it's none of my business [unless they're a known character and there's a relationship wanted/taking place in the plot line].

Also, whilst Darry is cute in headshot [fan made work], I don't think it would work in the HP universe based on their previous encounters. Also, if they got together, Albus and Scorpius couldn't, and I think they're a much better fit.

--
    Going off on one so feel free to skip, but as a writer, I'm not going to make diversity for the sake of it. Reason being is that people complain when there's no representation of a particular characteristic, but then complain when there's tokenism. Since there are so many characteristics out there, for diversity to work, there must be tokenism. So since I'm never going to satisfy both, I'll just write what I want - it's not like I'm publishing for a major audience anyway.

#3 Secrets5, Sep 4, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2016
  4. iiimee

Robert, is this a joke? Seriously, heteronormativity? Yes, Harry is not gay in the least. Neither is Hermione, Ron, or Snape as far as we know. Does this mean there's something wrong with the story? No, because not everything in this world is about LGBT+ people, and it doesn't need to be. Seriously, Harry Potter is a children's fantasy story that promotes the general statement of "accept everyone". It doesn't need openly gay chars in order to promote that. -_-

5. Capricorn98

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Too heteronormative? Being heterosexual is the norm. why does it matter anyway? It's such a stupid word

you can't always have equal representation of everything. that doesn't make something bad. I couldn't care less whether a series has a gay character in it. as long as its good. if people don't like something because it doesn't have 'modern progressive representation' then they're idiots.
    then if something has one of every group people would probably say they're just tokens like a token black guy. there's no winning

and why does dumbledore need to be gay? if he doesn't have a love interest then what's the point? also there are loads of programmes with gay characters and other minorities in.

6. ForNarnia

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Dean and Seamus were a couple. Like Dumbledore's sexuality, she didn't write it in for fear of detracting from the story of the trio. Agreed, those are the only LGBT+ characters of which I know, but that's not to say they don't exist. Things have become much more accepting as of late, but I doubt gay marriage was even legal here in the UK when she began writing.

7. Totesgaybrah

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hold up, where did you get this from? As far as I know they are good friends in the books but idk about a couple. Dean and Ginny are a couple for a period of time.

8. blightedsight

A lotta gay boys go through that denial phase:stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
    But yeah, I didn't know about that relationship.

What I don't understand is why, on a forum that helps promote positive LGBT+ issues, the notion that a book and film franchise, adored by millions, should do a bit more to support, promote and highlight a substantial portion of society, a lot of whom could gain strength and acceptance from the characters, has such a dismissive attitude from some members.
    True, not everything is about LGBT+ issues, but until everyone on this forum is treated equally, whereever they go, then there is a responsibility of people who make popular content like the Potter world to give fair representation of all groups.

9. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ugh, seriously, this is just people whining about the fact that everyone isn't gay.

I'm a writer.
    I'm also a lesbian.
    And 97% of my characters are heterosexual. All of my couples except for three of them are heterosexual. Simply because hetero people are the norm and I like writing about straight couples too.

My MC is bisexual and she has a girlfriend, she also has a friend who is a gay guy. But most of the other characters are straight and straight paired. In my second story, there is zero romance whatsoever, aside from some of the characters' parents (straight paired). It would make no sense to interject representation in that story since it isn't about romance to begin with.

This isn't about me simply not caring about LGBT people and their representation. I am complaining about this as a lesbian, my sexuality doesn't take over my entire life and I am not offended if most people's characters are straight. Similarily, I have asperger's, and while Asperger representation would be nice, I will not complain if a story has only neurotypical characters. It's more off putting to stick it in there for no reason or development.

I want to write about what I want to write about. If LGBT characters are included, fine, if they're not, also fine. But I don't stick things in nilly willy to please others, I do it so the story makes logical sense. Adding diversity of every group in the world just for the sake of it is also tokenism. I would not read a story about lesbians if people added them in to be ~accepting/representative~ as I find that offensive. Though It's not to say that lesbian characters are bad or that I wouldn't read about them, I would just prefer if you added them for the reasons of interesting character development/story rather than tokenism to please people.

#9 Creativemind, Sep 4, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 4, 2016
  10. AmyBee

Just a few months ago I saw someone ask Mark Hamill if Luke Skywalker was gay. Hamill replied something like, "He is if he is to you. He's whatever you need him to be." I mean, those aren't his words exactly, but he was supportive of any reading of the character you want. Luke was kind of into Leia but like someone above says, there's that "denial" phase. In the book universe, Luke seems het but in the movies other than the Leia thing which ends up as siblings, he's not really involved in romance at all, so you can imagine anything you want about his inner life or relationships off screen. He can represent you if you want him to and nothing in the text directly contradicts your reading.

How does this relate to Dumbledore and Harry Potter? Well, we do have some "onscreen" romances, and they're het. But Dumbledore as an example leads us to this idea that a lot of stuff happens that Rowling doesn't depict for whatever artistic reasons. If it's not explicit in the text that doesn't mean it's still not there. I'm not super familiar with the books having only read the first one and watched a few of the movies, but aren't there a number of characters who can support a LGBTQIA reading, one that isn't directly contradicted by material in the text?

I think it's great if it's explicit, but at the same time if we take a character who appears to have no romantic life at all in a story and just assume that character is het then we're the ones being too heteronormative. It's similar to taking a character whose physical appearance is only described in general terms and assuming they're white. I want more representation from authors. I think this IS important. But I'm not waiting around passively for it, either.

11. AKindOfMagic

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My sister has a book in which the character is gay. It sounds so forced, and really, it ruined the book. It is because people should write what they know, not try to write something just to make other people happy. For all we know a lot of characters in harry potter are gay, but that's not the focus of the books, all that magic stuff is.

12. Totesgaybrah

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I wasn't trying to be dismissive, I'm just a big fan of the books and movies and I never heard of this before. I looked it up and apparently JK Rowling considered making them a couple but decided not to so as to not take away from the main trio Harry, Ron and Hermione.

13. Anthemic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    No, it isn't. People need to stop making a fuss out of nothing.

14. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't know and I don't care.

15. Opheliac

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    It is heteronormative, of course. And while I do love any kind of art which puts the tiniest dent in the giant heteronormativity machine, Rowling, or any other writer, doesn't owe it to anyone to be progressive or inclusive. The Harry Potter universe is flawed, sure. Would I be happy if there were openly LGBT+ characters? Hell yes. But that doesn't stop me appreciating the series.

But these are discussions that do need to happen and shouldn't be shot down, like a lot of people in this thread are doing. Pointing out things like this in popular franchises is what inspires other people to make more inclusive art.

16. Jellal

If you want gay characters in stories, then read stories that have more gay characters in them.

Problem solved.

17. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Or write them yourself. Even if they're just for you and have no intention of publishing.

18. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I would have a problem with it if the story had prejudice on it (like, if it had a gay character and the other characters were constantly threatening, attacking and insulting him, or if the same thing happened with Lee Jordan or another black character, or something like that).

That isn't the case. In my opinion, Rowling is a very friendly writer and, even if i would like to see more diverse characters in HP world, i think it is totally unfair to start hunting things to call "prejudice" in there.

We have stories with real prejudice on them. Stories that clearly encourage prejudice. Why bother with Harry Potter?

As for putting more diverse characters, it must be done carefully. If properly done, it can enrich the story immensely. If not done properly, it may create shallow characters, harming the story and even encouraging stereotypes. Dumbledore being gay would be interesting, but, to me, it is simply not relevant to this story in particular.

These things happened, for example, on Baldur's Gate:

[YT]v=VSzZ9jIl7pY[/YT]

In resume: It is nice that the population is slowly starting to worry more about stories and movies, and asking the authors to include more diversity. However, be careful, or we are going to become so obsessed in the justice crusade that we are going to find problems were there aren't any. Harry Potter and Rowling aren't a problem.

19. rudysteiner

Exactly what I was thinking.

The closest this can be to the truth is that a fan tweeted JK an 'LGBT' tweet in relation to Hogwarts and that no one has to hide in the closet. If JK doesn't come out (excuse the pun) and say that Dean and Seamus were a couple, then officially they're not. But people do realise that she can, at any point, turn around and label any one of the characters as homosexual if she wants to, because there's no evidence in the books to suggest whether they are or aren't? She could say that Harry was in love with Dumbledore or that Draco was in love with Harry and people would believe it because as an author it's her job to be able to write (or talk, rather) in a way that can make us, the reader, believe anything she says. It's like magic.

#19 rudysteiner, Sep 5, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2016
  20. Reciprocal

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Of course it is far too heteronormative and we should all be very, very offended. I am painting my placard now and will be marching in London in the near future. It is vital to our survival that all books contain at least 5,000 gay characters and include a full discussion of the LGBT community.

(Sarcasm)