1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Didn't manage to meet anyone at University- am I doomed?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Ryan5154, Sep 7, 2016.

1. Ryan5154

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hi everyone!

So this might sound kind of petty, and maybe it is. I came out when I was in my first year of University (or college for any Americans here :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: ).

I have been on multiple dates over my time at University, and never had any luck. It worries me because at University you are supposed to be in your prime. It's when you have the most active social life, the most amount of free time, partying etc. And they say most people at University meet the love of their life there. However, if I was never able to get past the the 2nd or 3rd date at University, when I am young, not working full time and it should be the ideal time to meet someone, does this mean maybe it's just not for me.

I am not usually a negative person but after University people will be much more busy with their jobs, settling down, and the dating scene will certainly not be as active as it is at University.

So yes, does this mean there must be something I'm doing wrong? I just don't know what to think.

Sorry for the rant!

2. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't think you're doomed. I just think you haven't found what you're looking for.

3. Quem

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey there! =)

First of all, there are plenty of places where you can meet people.. It's not just limited to universities. You shouldn't feel bad about not meeting "the one" (or someone you'd really like).

It may very well be possible that you meet someone while working, or that you meet someone in a club / sports centre / other place you can go to. =]

And no, you're not doing anything "wrong". That implies that it is normal/good to meet someone you really like at university.. I know lots of people in their final year who are not in a relationship, I really don't think it's much of an issue.

Take care! (*hug*)

4. Klutz

I kinda feel like people who marry and settle down with their college love are like the previous generation marrying their high school sweethearts. It is cute, you hope it works, but both people have never been let loose in the wide world {of sports} to figure out who they are as adults.

It is a very different scene after graduation and starting to be an independent, unsheltered adult. I like it better, personally. I wasn't into the college party thing. I have a much better social network now that I've graduated. Don't worry about not finding the love of your life right now. It sounds like you are figuring out who you are (something I wish I'd done at your age). You are accomplishing so much already!

5. mangotree

(assuming you're in your early 20s)

You're certainly not doomed.

Along with "the most active social life, the most amount of free time, partying etc", your 20s are when you are learning about yourself, about how the world works, about your place in the world, and about making a lot of (glorious) mistakes.

"the most active social life, the most amount of free time, partying etc" also suggests that it's NOT the best time to settle down because you're only just starting to unwind and untangle yourself from your childhood.

College might have been the marriage setter-upper last century, but I don't think it is any more.

A quick google search tells me "Although the average age at (first) marriage for men in England and Wales is just over 32, the most common age-group by frequency to get married is 25-29 for both men and women."
    I know you didn't say "marriage" specifically, but just pointing out that you've still got a lot of time.

#5 mangotree, Sep 8, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 8, 2016
  6. midwestgirl89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    No you're not doomed. Most of my (college) friends didn't seriously date someone until after college. There's not a timeline to go by. Just go with the flow. Most people are just getting jobs and trying to make it day to day after college so there's not as much pressure to do the whole serious dating thing.

#6 midwestgirl89, Sep 9, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Sep 9, 2016