1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Experience with *extremely* homophobic parents becoming accepting of their children?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by HuskyLover, Sep 7, 2016.

1. HuskyLover

My father is an extremely homophobic person, and in his younger days he and his friends used to beat them up as a joke (literally). He still talks shit about all gay and trans people, as if they're a disease that must be cured (but preferably killed), but I choose to ignore him every time.

I'm wondering if anyone here have had any experience with such homophobic parents becoming accepting of their LGBT+ children when they've found out about it?

I know they aren't to be bothered with, but I'd still like to know this.

2. Doughmaster

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Re: Experience with *extremely* homophobic parents becoming accepting of their childr

I don't but i just wanted to say hang in there, it must be hard

3. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Re: Experience with *extremely* homophobic parents becoming accepting of their childr

We had a member here some years ago who was adopted, and his adoptive parents were *extremely* homophobic. He was 13 at the time, and for various reasons, needed to come out to his parents.

We helped facilitate communication through his school's social worker, who broght the parents in, and helped him come out, and explained to them that this was normal and natural, and they needed to accept it.

They grumbled and were a bit unpleasant for a while... but eventually came around completely.

I know of a number of similar cases... they are actually more common than the opposite (never having parents accept you.) So there's hope and good possibility for a positive outcome.

4. HuskyLover

I've read some things about people becoming more accepting as soon as family is involved, but (in my case) we're still talking about people who grew up in an old-fashioned society where these kind of things were so forbidden and who don't think LGBT+ people are humans or even deserve any human rights. They have spent all their life on hating us, beating us up and some even killing us.

I keep telling myself that, luckily, the older generations are slowly dying out and that newer ones have become more and more accepting. However that doesn't change anything right now.

I'm still interested in other stories if there are any.

5. Klutz

I wanted to comment that in the USA, it seems like the World War II veterans were more accepting than their children. In my experience, the Greatest Generation (as they are called here) will be shocked, then just concerned that people are happy and ask a lot of questions to make sure they really have love in their lives. They grew up knowing that they protected people like us, but didn't see many (if any) openly out. Most of what I have heard and seen is them being like "but are you in love and happy"? Then moving on. I worry less about people over 70 than I do about the people in the 40-70 age group.

My dad has played the game "smear the queer" and I have heard about it a few times growing up. As I've grown, and he has grown, I'm sure he will support me. It is my mom, from north of the Mason-Dixon (official boarder between North and South US) who I am certain won't. I was also hoping for first hand stories... When I come out to them I promise I'll let you all know how it goes.

6. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

It's not completely unknown. Few parents want to be at war with their own kids and the prospect of losing all contact - forever, brings many to their senses. Doesn't necessarily happen overnight and it won't happen at all if we adopt a "fuck you" attitude towards them, but if we keep the communication channels open it's certainly possible. That's not to say you'll experience a complete turnaround in attitude, but you may achieve a truce.

Organisations like PFLAG/FFLAG do a good job in supporting parents and family members, so keep them in mind and check out their websites and book lists too.

7. ABeautifulMind

These are always the stories I am most interested in to give me hope as well... Coming from the gulf coast region is a bitch....

8. andimon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people

It's NEVER your job to educate your PARENTS. Just keep a low profile until you're on your feet, then do whatever you feel best for you.

Coming out... best case scenario they accept you. Worst case scenario? I believe you already have an answer to that.
    But maybe they won't kick you out, however don't expect to be treated with much dignity because chances are they won't regardless of how much they get around.

9. HuskyLover

I really don't think anyone would be able to convince my father that being gay is actually okay. He's extremely stubborn, you see. An example of that is that he refused to talk/be near a relative for many years just because he/she did something he didn't like and never apologized.

I don't know. It feels like I'll never come out to anyone in the family (with an excepetion of one of my siblings, which I think would react positively), but that doesn't really bother me. I've never felt like I belong in this family anyway, so leaving them and barely communicating with them is something I would do.

Anyways, this thread isn't about me coming out, I'm just looking for some other experiences with this as it could bring me hope in case I want to come out one day (and because it's an interesting topic to discuss!) :slight_smile:

#9 HuskyLover, Sep 9, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 9, 2016
  10. LogicNoSense

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

I haven't exactly 'formally' come out to my parents- I wrote it on a page that they have read, I'm pretty certain my father KNOWS, but I'm unsure. He's generally more accepting, so I'm not very concerned with him.

On the other hand, my mother was raised as a Catholic, and although she's pretty much a freethinker now, she's still a homophobic. (No idea why she volunteered at a LGBT event the other year...) She does glare at couples openly (there was once a very PDA-ing lesbian couple in the train; I was annoyed because they were so loud it was a public nuisance, but I think my mom was more focused on them being les, with how she glared at them) but she also makes jokes on sexuality when I'm around. It's terribly awkward.

In a way, she's...kinda accepted my sexuality? I think she read the page, too, so she probably knows, and by the way she makes jokes about sexuality in front of me...I suppose she's come around. Although I wouldn't come out to them until I'm financially stable, I do think that in the very least, she's accepted the fact that one of her daughters is bent. Hopefully.

Not sure if this was what you were looking for, but that's basically my story.

11. andimon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people

I'm in a similar situation with my parents, however their homophobia roots from their religiosity. I don't really know my dad's opinion but I recall hearing homophobic remarks from his side in the past. My mom, however, (as a doctor) thinks of homosexuality as a mental illness and that won't change anytime soon.

For me, coming out will result in the following: zero financial support whatsoever, frequent lectures and embarrassing conversations, attempts to "pray the gay away". I'll probably get to stay at home, but the general atmosphere will be tense and unfriendly, so I don't even think about coming out before graduating college.

#11 andimon, Sep 10, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2016
  12. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people

I have quite homophobic parents, and I can't say they have come around. They are very traditional, and that means what my dad says goes. When I came out to my mom(before my dad), she seemed quite supportive. However, the whole tone changed when I came out to my dad. I am convinced that my dad was molested by who he believes were "gay men" when he was a child. Back in the 50's and early 60's when he was hitting puberty, pedophiles were often equated to being homosexual. In his heart of hearts, I think he truly believes that most gay/bi men are pedophiles.

13. ScatteredEarth

My mother likes to put the facade on whenever the convo comes up, however her true feelings take to the surface when she thinks I'm not paying attention. Truth be told I will actually become aware of the conversation whenever I hear a keyword, but I try not to really care. Besides, if it comes down to it and she's upset with my choice, I'll get some sort of sick satisfaction knowing that she was lying through her teeth the whole time. My father doesn't even try though so I can't really be asked to care about his opinion. He gave me that standard "I'll love you no matter what" spiel but still continues to gay bash and get irritated whenever LGBT issues appear on the news. It's almost as if he feels like they have the audacity to make strides toward equality. I just blame ignorance and ignore him though. I'll always show my support whenever asked regardless of who I'm talking to (although depending on the person again, it's more from a faux outside looking in stance due to annoying Bible thumpers that happen to inhabit my family)

14. europeanguy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only

just want to weigh in here. my dads always been....strange. he makes offensive jokes all the time including homophobic ones, those more then others. when i came out, my dad was distraught, he blamed himself, he thought that all his jokes made me too scared to be honest with him, that he'd pushed me away. it was a very.....strange way to see him. he's a total dick about things most of the time but he seemed really human. my mother on the otherhand went nuts, she had the "boys" talk people usually have with their daughters ASAP haha warning me and such. im going to uni in 2 weeks and it will mark the beginning of me being able to be completely open about it, my mother never shuts up about how i should go to the gay bar there (yep, she found it not me.) haha that i should totally be able to find someone haha.

im saying this because my parents were both very much traditionalists, they always cringed at gay relationships, would shut off films with them in saying it was innapropriate, but would watch ones with straight relationships perfectly fine. you really got that kind of homophobic vibe from them, this was ontop of what i said about my dad. so it shows that things can flip and turn out positive. just maybe leave it till your financially independent or close to it, just in case

sorry if this comes out wonky, typing it using a 3ds haha.

#14 europeanguy, Sep 10, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2016
  15. HuskyLover

That must be really tough for you. We are atheists, but my father also believes that homosexuality is a mental illness, and that the only way of curing them is to kill them.

To be honest, it'd be the same for me basically. If I came out, I wouldn't be comfortable enough to show myself around my family. But I don't think they'd want me around anyway so wouldn't matter.

16. faustian1

Jesus Christ! That is completely barbaric. I am shocked.

It also is seriously challenging my stereotype of Scandinavia (where you show your location to be), as being socially progressive. I think I'm going to have to do some reading about homophobia in Scandinavia.

17. ABeautifulMind

18. HuskyLover

I think homophobia is still very common in my country amongst older people, as they were raised to think that homosexuality is a mental illness/sin. In general though, homophobia is much more common with (younger) guys I'd believe. Women seem to be more accepting for some reason.

I can say that I've never met anyone here who have commented on LGBT topics and been positive about it. However, I do believe that Scandinavia is far less homophobic compared to e.g. slavic countries.

19. faustian1

Thank you for that feedback. I'm going to look into this some more.

I do know in the United States, from the outside you would think that we've transformed ourselves, now with legally mandated access to same-sex marriage and all the "outness" on the internet. However, the traffic on this website (EC) and postings by young people from all over the country sometimes don't sound that much different--to me--than the 1960's. Also, the suicide rate among gay teens is as high as ever, which is another warning marker.

Also, I have been somewhat shocked by the writings of some of the Canadians here, which indicate a substantial amount of animus in many places in Canada, which has a longer legal tradition of tolerance and equality for homosexuals, than do some US states and the federal government.

Legal systems appear to be capable of becoming fairer, but social systems often lag substantially behind, I guess.

#19 faustian1, Sep 13, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 13, 2016
  20. HuskyLover

It doesn't matter how many lgbt friendly laws they make, there will always be people who think they're important enough to tell you how you should live your life. I think it'll take many decades before homosexuality is accepted socially too (if ever). In the end I believe it's all luck when it comes to if people around you are accepting or not... or so it feels like at least.

I wish all homophobic parents could see what they're doing to their gay children. I wonder if the parents of the people who replied above, who became accepting afterwards, feel any guilt or if they have bad consciousness because of the homophobic things they've said in front of them. I mean, hearing my dad say that people like me should be tortured to death isn't very fun (he says a lot of horrible things about us)...