1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Frustration

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by MusicalsFanLuke, Sep 18, 2016.

1. MusicalsFanLuke

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's getting to the point where I just wanna scream at everyone "NOT A GODDAMN GIRL" every time they refer to me as such. But I'm so nervous that I don't even politely correct them.

Like... earlier I was talking to these two guys who live in the same building as me. I can't remember what we were discussing, but one of them praised me by saying "smart girl", and even though my gender may not even come up again with him, I still wanted to tell him "yeah, not a girl". I still sorta wanna correct him next time I see him, but I'm not stupid. I missed my chance, and it'd just be random now.

Something else that bugs me is that everyone keeps saying "don't correct them" and "just leave it" and "let it slide". But I don't want to let it slide. I want people to know they're misgendering me, even if they react badly to me being trans.

I just hate this.

2. 108

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    absolutely don't let it slide. put your food down and immediately correct someone when they misgender you. be polite and understanding of the mistake, but do not allow people to do that to you.

3. MusicalsFanLuke

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think I'm gonna start doing this. I've done it a couple or times already, and each time I kinda have to explain the whole transgender thing, which can get frustrating in and of itself. I swear the moment you say you're trans people have a million and one questions to ask. Sometimes I wish it was as simple as:

Them: "What's your name?"
    Me: "Luke."
    Them: "Oh, ok, hey Luke, how's it going?"

I mean, I get if they have a moment of pause, because I am currently presenting as female. But it's when they start interrogating me that it starts to bother me.

4. LaEsmeralda

:lol: Nice typo.

PeculiarNerd : I think it's pretty cheeky of them to refer to you by girl OR boy! It's pretty patronising. Tell them, "Excuse me I have a name, it's X" and then they should understand that they're mis-gendering you AND that they're being rude.

5. MusicalsFanLuke

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    See, the weird thing is that I don't think I'd mind if they called me boy. It wouldn't feel that patronising to me unless their tone was very obviously condescending. It's just the whole wrong pronoun thing that gets to me.