1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is there actually a difference between bisexual and pansexual?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by reny, Sep 23, 2016.

1. reny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Is there actually a difference between bisexual and pansexual? Aren't they both kind of the same thing?:dry:

2. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In my opinion, they are pretty much the same thing.

The only difference is that some people say that pansexuals include non-binary genders while bisexuals don't, but there are also people saying bisexuals include everyone (defining bi as attraction to both the same and opposite genders).

Then there are people saying that pan people date trans people while bi people date cis people, but we shouldn't assume that either.

3. ForNarnia

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Bisexual - More than one (usually male + female, possibly non-binary/trans inclusive)

Pansexual - All, no exceptions.

It's not a huge difference, but it is a difference.

4. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It depends on your personal interpretation.

I consider myself bisexual, but I can be attracted to anyone regardless of gender.

Some people would say I'm pansexual. I just don't think there is a good reason to use two different labels, as we can simply explain the difference between each person when needed. I think that creating labels for small differences is inefficient and unnecessarily complicated.

Of course, I mean no offense to those who use one label or the other. I just think it is easier to use "bisexual" I'm any case, as it is easier to explain. The details of each one's preferences can be detailed without the use of another label.

5. 108

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The term bisexual implies binaries, and there are attractions that fall between that not necessarily all bisexual share.

6. BrookeVL

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This. But to be honest, I prefer bisexual because it's such a small difference, why bother? My sexuality is probably better categorized as "pansexual" but I don't really feel like explaining it, especially since most people will be like "oh, so you're bi then?"

#6 BrookeVL, Sep 23, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2016
  7. Browncoat

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    A small minority of people labeling themselves as bisexual refuse to date trans people. For most bisexuals though, no, there is no difference.

8. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I basically agree with all of this. In my mind, however, and I certainly could be misguided, I see pansexuals as constantly being open to a relationship regardless of gender, whereas most bisexuals tend to be looking for/have stronger preference for/have urges for one gender or the other at a time and that can fluidly change over time. Maybe a pansexual is a non-fluid (or almost non-fluid) bisexual who is very equally attracted to either gender (and therefore, gender is not an issue)?

I dunno. Just a thought.:slight_smile:

#8 Quantumreality, Sep 23, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 23, 2016
  9. Blood Elf

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have always considered them the same thing. I don't have a problem with anyone who identifies as either, it's their choice.

Cis-Women = Women
    Cis-Men = Men
    Trans-Women = Woman
    Trans-Men = Man

Attraction: Man + Woman = Bisexual.

But, that's just how I look at it. Either one is fine with me, they are both words.
    I guess pansexual can also extend to genderfluid people?

10. ForNarnia

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Some Pansexuals have equal attraction, but most do have a preference for a certain gender. Bisexual is the umbrella term, I guess you could say, as all Pansexuals fit the definition of Bisexual, but not all Bisexuals fit the definition of Pansexual. It's just that every Pansexual is attracted to non-binary people, whilst some Bisexual people might not be attracted to non-binary people.

I tend to tell people I'm Pansexual, but I don't mind if people call me Bisexual, because I fit that definition too :slight_smile:

---------- Post added 23rd Sep 2016 at 04:48 PM ----------

Yep, that's pretty much the only difference :slight_smile:

11. ABeautifulMind

Bi ==> attraction to him and her...

Pan ==> attraction to him and her and them...

So yes all pans are bisexual, not all bisexuals are pans...

Personally it is all pronouns to me, but I am sticking with bi because frankly, I live in a piss poor LGBT area, and saying I am bi will simply be easier than trying explain a term most around here have never even heard of....

12. Cinis

Cinis Guest

A lot of Bi people...scratch that the majority of Bi people would actually define themselves the way pansexual is usually defined ie. including trans and nb people

I've seen some people make a distinction between being attracted more towards physical things vs being attracted to personality but that definition isn't really widespread

I'd say that the two are the same only that some people do not like the word bi that implies only two genders in it.

See it like this: the sexuality of a homosexual person can differ greatly from that of another homosexual person of the same sex and gender, the same goes for heterosexual attraction and sexuality....if we do not draw such fine distinctions there why should we with bi/pansexuality?

13. Darsch Hielle

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    No, even though I identify as pansexual, I agree, there isn't really a difference. I mean, I use pansexual because it feels more inclusive, but when I explain my sexuality to people, I tend to just say "I'm pan but just pretend I'm bi so you don't get confused."

14. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    A person who is pansexual in virtually all contexts is functionally bisexual. A bisexual person may very well be attracted to someone who doesn't ascribe to a binary gender and as a result might technically be pansexual but might not be bothered to identify as such given it's not particularly commonplace to need to make a distinction.

Though I would make the point that a person who identifies as genderfluid but still appears to be of a binary gender doesn't automatically make a bisexual a pansexual. Sexuality isn't about recognition of others' personal identities.

For the most part, this is a highly semantic question, if we're going to be honest.

15. Gunsmoke

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Technically bisexuality means attraction to two genders (typically male and female, and yes that does include binary trans people because let's be real, if you won't date somebody just because they're trans then congratulations, you're probably a dickhead), whilst pansexuality means attraction to all genders.

However, a lot of bisexuals are attracted to all genders, so they would technically be pansexual, but they continue to use the term bisexual... For some reason. I guess it's about preference?

#15 Gunsmoke, Sep 26, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2016
  16. Halfwayout

Out Status:
    All but family
    I think there technically is, which is what a fair few of the others have said 'pan' includes all genders including non-binary/genderqueer etc, whereas I think bi. refers to attraction to two genders.

I think there's so many different labels to describe where on the scale you fit if you're not fully straight or fully gay to choose from, that its confusing! I honestly don't really know what to describe myself as aha. But if a certain label makes you feel more happy and comfortable identifying yourself, or not having one at all, as long as you're happy that's all that should matter :slight_smile:

17. Libra Neko

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I consider myself more bi, but if attraction to cartoon characters would make me pan, then I'm pan.

18. dreamcatcher

I personally think there is no difference. They mean the exact same thing. All that it boils down to is preference. Some people prefer to use pansexual because it feels more inclusive and others prefer bisexual because it's more commonly used.

19. Geek

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    All but family
    bi = two or twice.

Therefore bisexual = male and female.

Bisexuality technically doesn't include genderqueer individuals. Although I would guess that a lot of bisexuals are actually pansexual. I myself don't know if I could see myself dating someone that is genderqueer - it's not that I don't like transpeople but they're just simply not my type. Therefore I label myself as bisexual.

But yes I would guess bisexuality is just a more common label which is why it's used. You can also be technically biromantic and homo or heterosexual but still identify as bisexual.

20. AyaseKishimoto

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    This is the question of the decade :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: ... Well I don't like labels on my sexualitty, I guess I'm fine with anyone as long as I'm in love, perhaps are that I prefer girls (cis/trans there's no difference).

For me bisexual means that you only like binary genders..
    Pansexual means that you like both non binary and binary genders...