1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone else having trouble with decisions?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by HuskyLover, Sep 23, 2016.

1. HuskyLover

I have it really difficult when it comes to making decisions of any kind. As soon as I have to decide about anything, whether it's what to eat, what I like, if I like it or not, keep it or throw it away, what to do about a specific thing etc, it's like my brain stops working and I don't know what do to. It feels like whatever I decide to do, is wrong. In the end it drives me crazy because I can't choose what to do. It's impossible.

I'm wondering if anyone else here share same/similar problem? Also if you have any tips on how to overcome it? (to "just do it" is not an option...)

2. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Same here, but my stuff is mostly a mental health and trauma thing.

If I'm really pressed on making a choice (and if there's no rush) I'll try to take a break from thinking about it and come back when I've calmed down. If I need to make a choice in that moment, I often just say "fuck it" and pick something if I don't have the time to stop myself from weighing the options and consequences.

3. 108

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have this issue. I obsess over decisions to the point it can cause episodes of depressive anxiety. It doesn't really happen with more mundane decisions though. Nice learned to mentally go through a "pro/con" lost in my brain when having those struggles, so that it makes the decision process very logical and black and white. It's the decisions where the list method is about even, or results of a decisions are not something within my control, that really cause me to have problems. For me, it could be more about control and fear of not being in command of everything around me, rather than about the simple decision itself.

4. HuskyLover

I almost always go through a pros/cons list in my head, but in the end I find myself going through the list over and over again, because what if I've missed out on some important detail or something?

5. kibou97

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This is me on a constant basis. I'll just be standing in a game/book store and just keep going back and forth for 20 minutes about which I should buy. I'm also terrible at deciding things like where to go eat and other people normally have to pick for me or else i'd sit for an hour just thinking about it.

6. BMC77

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I can't decide if I have trouble with decisions.

:lol:

Yes, I do...and I sometimes struggle with even the simplest decisions at the grocery store...

7. Secrets5

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yes, so I do it as quickly as I can or I won't do it [Where there is one thing I need/should/want to do and the question is "will I actually do this?"].

#7 Secrets5, Sep 24, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2016
  8. Gunsmoke

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I don't have massive problems because I tend to mentally work things out fairly quickly, but yeah, I definitely have them from time to time.

Like right now, I'm deciding whether I should go to a brick university or get a degree from an open university so I can keep working. Ugh...