1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Joined the LGBT club

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Matto_Corvo, Sep 24, 2016.

1. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Joined the LGBT club at my school but kinda feel terrified to go. Being LGB is one thing but when you are T part of it you not sure what to expect.
    I have no idea how to come out to them as trans and all that.

2. iiimee

It's fine- Some LGB people are not cool with trans people, but most younger ones at the very least understand... trans people have always sort of been to the side of the LGBT community though, so it's not like even older people are likely to judge you for it, though ofc not everyone can understand... I go to a super, super liberal high school, so coming out as trans, even outside of the GSA is like "Oh, okay." There's a zero tolerance for bullying, so I feel fairly safe at my school... Still, I imagine most GSAs wouldn't be transphobic.

3. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Apparently this is our colleges first LGBT club in its 52 years of being.

4. kibou97

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think it kind of makes sense for anyone to be worried or have a certain fear of going but despite my inexperience in this, i feel like a majority of GSA's/LGBT clubs would try to be inclusive of trans people and supportive. I'm not sure how it is at other GSAs but at the one at my college, one of the very first things everyone established was what pronouns they use. Aside from then, anybody who's trans has just casually mentioned it. I'm not trans but I don't think any of the trans people in my college's GSA seemed nervous after the first meeting. I would just give it a try and go to a meeting or two so you can get a general feel for the club and people in it and then decide for sure whether you want to continue going. Actually, there are more trans people in my colleges GSA than lgb people.