1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What are your opinions on Target's new bathroom policies?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Spoopy Monster, Sep 25, 2016.

?

For it or against it? (in general/overall)

1. Yes, I support it.

35 vote(s)
    100.0%
  2. No, I do not support it.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. Spoopy Monster

Now that Target's new bathroom policy is permanently in place and being widely attacked and defended, I'm generally curious to see what you guys (generally anyone on here) have to say about it.

What do you think of it?

2. HappyGirlLucky

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You didn't mention what the bathroom policy was actually about so I tried to look it up. Is this about trans people being allowed to use the restroom which matches their gender? If so, I would really hope all LGBT people would support that.

It seems ridiculous that any of this is even a thing, to be honest, and I am totally baffled that a law banning trans people from bathrooms can actually get through the government and be legal in 2016. I am a proponent of gendered bathrooms because the women's room is a good place to relax for a bit and I like that we have a tiny space with only women and no men to bother you. It's also a great place to escape to at the club or bar when some annoying guy won't take a hint. That said, it would be great if there were at least one non-gendered bathroom everywhere other than the bathroom for disabled people (who may need it at that time too).

It is totally legal for trans people to use the bathroom which matches their gender here, and I have never seen a man enter under false pretenses just because of that. I have seen some walk in by accident and get totally embarrassed though! Why would they want to come in and smell our poop and watch women fix their makeup anyway? It's not like we pee with the bathroom door open... So what exactly would they get out of it? Also aren't we gay and bi women a total threat in there too? :lol:

I am just really amazed that people get this up in arms over something so ridiculous. Don't we have more important things to focus on?

#2 HappyGirlLucky, Sep 25, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2016
  3. Cinis

Cinis Guest

The question is rather how they would stop People from using their bathrooms anyway...I mean the majority of trans people is stealth so no one would even notice anything unless you would ask everyone for a Body inspection before they are allowed to enter...

4. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes I support it.

5. baconpox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Of course. The only issue about being so vocal is that people might look for trans people more in Target then they would in a place who hadn't commented on it, but people should definitely be allowed to use whatever bathroom.

6. Lightsaberpearl

Out Status:
    Some people
    This is very well said.

I'd really love gender neutral bathrooms that don't take up disabled spaces because I get treated poorly in both the women's and men's and it gives me pretty bad dysphoria going into gendered places. Also if a binary trans person felt unsafe in the women's and the men's restroom then the gender neutral bathroom would also be helpful

7. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There is not one legitimate reason to ban trans people from restrooms. End of story.

I wholeheartedly agree with HappyGirlLucky's post.

8. Geek

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I may not be trans but I could really care less.

9. BrookeVL

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    As someone who may benefit one day, I agree with it.

10. Wolfwing

Really the only opinion I have on it is that you should use your desired defender's bathroom if you pass as that gender and preferably if you've also gotten the bottom surgery because the only reason we have gendered bathrooms is to accommodate the needs of the different sexes and their respective genitals, for example only male bathrooms have urinals because males are able and prefer to pee standing up unlike women who are unable to in most cases.

11. Matto_Corvo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Except that there is so much attention on trans people and gender neutral bathrooms that we now feel unsafe using them as well.I've been given some looks going into a few. And a teacher at school makes sure that everyone knows the gender neutral bathrooms are "unsafe" and should be left to the men.

12. Kira

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    It's rather pragmatic, considering they're one of the few places in the US to not force women in the men's bathroom and men in the women's they're preventing a lot of crimes related to archaic stigma. Here neutral bathrooms aren't common because of the outdated mindsets that are forcefully passed down.

I like it. I don't know about you, but I'd hate to be the one girl in a bathroom full of men with obsolete and violent minds. Such scenarios wouldn't be a thing if the country worked on de-stigmatizing neutral restrooms and updating construction setups, and the doctrines that define them.

(The fact that the US is still so eagerly trying to pass bills like HB2 shows the common people don't want equality, they want to be "above" everyone else. The irony is their efforts only drag them lower...)