1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Would you date someone if they wanted to keep it a secret / remain closeted?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Greggers, Mar 23, 2009.

?

Yes or No?

1. Yes: They wanted to keep secret / keep closeted

86 vote(s)
    82.7%
  2. No: They wanted to keep secret / keep closeted

14 vote(s)
    13.5%
  3. Yes: They wanted to keep secret / keep you closeted

34 vote(s)
    32.7%
  4. No: They wanted to keep secret / keep you closeted

33 vote(s)
    31.7%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Greggers

I guess this question only goes for people who are out, atleast somewhat, or people who want to come out soon.

Im wondering if you would date someone if they...

Wanted to keep it a secret AND...
    - Wanted to stay closeted themselves
    - Wanted YOU to keep closeted

The poll is TWO questions, you can select an answer for both :slight_smile:

#1 Greggers, Mar 23, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 23, 2009
  2. The Enigma

The Enigma Guest

Yes.
    This should be a poll.

3. Tom

Tom Guest

I would date them, if the relationship needed to stay closeted then yeah it would be way more difficult to get the time alone together to get to know eachother aswell as in an open relationship but it could still work and I would definetly not say no to someone just because it had to stay a secret.

4. Amy

Amy

Lover, did you just read Keeping You A Secret? :confused:

Honestly, it would just depend on how much I cared about her and why she wanted to remain closeted.

5. Shevanel

It depends entirely on the person I think. I don't know. Like the person i was to date, I'd do it sure :slight_smile:

6. James

7. AzThRg0

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'm fine with them being closeted but not if they wanted to make me stay closeted

8. Greggers

I would find it hard, personally, to date someone who wanted to stay closeted. Next to impossible. If they were willing to accept my help and slowly come out, i would do it then i guess. I just dont want to have to keep my relationship a secret because i am so out now. Its one of the reasons i came out, so that if i find someone i truly love and care about i can be there for him 24/7 without worry about whos watching or who knows.

However, if i met someone i really really fell in love with who was closeted, im sure i would sacrifice my happiness to be with him >_<

9. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Yeah, I wouldn't mind a secret relationship. In fact, a secret one would probably be better since being open about it during school would likely mean lots of shunning and insulting.

10. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yes, I would date someone who wants to remain in the closet. It would be a bit hard, because this would mean I would not be able to brag about it to my friends that I'm seeing someone, but I would go for it. :slight_smile:

11. rocking23

Is that what you're school is like? That sucks! I'm sorry!
    When word got out that I was gay, all the straight guys where like "Yeah It takes courage to come out, he rocks for doing it" Right now, everyone practically knows I'm gay and I have never heard something mean said about me for being gay. In fact, while at a party, my friend was like "You have got to be one of the most popular people at school. Being popular means everyone likes you and I never hear a mean thing about you." That just made me feel really happy, that I am in such an accepting school.

As for the relationship, I wouldn't mind if it was kept secret because he was gay, but only for a certain period of time. Then it would either be, come out and be open or I'm going to have to leave. And like it was said above, if they want me to be closeted... not going to happen.

12. Alyosha

Alyosha Guest

Yes. In fact, that's my current situation. While my boyfriend has come out to his parents and the majority of his friends, I have told no one but him and one other friend. My relationship with him is totally secret... it's difficult, but there's no way we could be open about it at the school we attend :frowning2:

13. LornTehViking

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    If I saw a reason to do so. As in, if I really liked her or if she was willing to work on it.

Not if I was barely interested or there was no chance of working on it enough to get it to be at least semi-open.

14. xequar

Absolutely not.

If you're not confident enough in yourself to be out and open about who you are, and if you don't love me enough to want to shout it from the rooftops, then I'm sorry, you are not the one for me, plain and simple.

15. Just Adam

i voted for yes if they wanted to remain closeted its not for me to force someone to come out they have to do that when theyre ready that doesent stop them loving you and secret romance can be exciting

16. Alex19

i would, but id eventually help them along to tell ppl when their ready- keeping a secret relationship cant last forever. id tell them that too.

17. Just Adam

i agree it cant last forever but it can take time

18. KeithJ108

Yes, but not if they were planning on staying closeted forever

19. Just Adam

is that possible? wouldent it make your life misserable

20. Alyosha

Alyosha Guest

I think you misunderstand the situation of some people who want a relationship but don't want it to be open and known-about by others. In my case, I really do love by boyfriend as much as you described. I want to tell everyone how much I love him and how happy I am. The problem is at my school if word got around that I am a homosexual I'd be harassed and attacked, verbally and probably physically. So too would I (and my bf) be ostracised, alienated, and disapproved of by all. Therefore I can only be 'out' to those who I trust to not say a thing to anyone else, because I can't afford the risk of my secret being leaked. When we finish school in six months our relationship will become open; just not now in the fucked-up environment of a conservative private school.