1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What is being married to someone of the same sex like?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by reny, Sep 30, 2016.

1. reny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Family only
    The title kind of explains it. What are the differences of being married to someone of the same sex than the opposite? What's the same? Just wondering what the married life is like (!)

2. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
  3. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There's a difference?

4. Embi

Embi Guest

I'm not married and never have been, but I don't think there's a difference. The only difference is how you might be treated from others. But when you ask about how it feels like, it doesn't matter. Every relationship is unique and feels different.

5. awesomeyodais

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    There's probably no constant toilet-seat-up-or-down argument, other than that probably just the same or different depending on the individuals.

6. faustian1

^^^Well, that one probably doesn't happen often, but as you noted most all of the other ones do. I close friend of mine (a guy), has been in a relationship with another guy for more than 20 years. When we talk, his description of issues and quirks sounds very similar to the same things one hears from heterosexual married couples. If they hired actors to read the comments to me, I wouldn't not be able to tell which ones came from the same sex couple and which didn't.

They have two kids (a surrogacy arrangement) together, and just like the straight couples there's the "softie" and the "hard-ass" and the kids play off the parents against each other the same exact way the straight peoples' kids do. Getting to know that family is what confirmed my previously intellectual belief that there should be no difference in how kids thrive in same sex households, into not just an intellectual concept but one that I know is true in real life.

I think the differences come in the area of dealing with outside people. It is here that straight people have it easy--as they are automatically considered "ordinary" and it's not a big deal. The same sex couple has to navigate social, commercial, and employment areas in a different way. That, I'm sure, is quite a bit different and much harder to do well.

#6 faustian1, Oct 1, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2016
  7. Firepit5

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Ok, this one made me laugh out loud for real. My husband pees sitting so there's that. I've never been married to a woman so I can't accurately answer your question. I can tell you that after 16 going on years and watching my parents be married for 70 years, being married is so many things that it describes a simple description.

Obviously it depends upon who you married. I don't think that is dependent upon the sex of the person you married. I am sure there are differences between same sex marriage and opposite sex marriage of which I am unaware and unable to speak. Hopefully someone will step up and fill in those gaps.

As the newlywed in my family (only 16 years) probably I should keep my mouth shut. But ok, here goes,

1) Marry the right person. This is super-important. (sounds tongue-in-cheek but actually is not)
    2) Make sure you are "compatible". I put compatible in quotation marks on purpose. Because it is important. There needs to be some discussion of real values before the actual vows. Do you want children? How many?
    3) Religion: Do you have one? Here's mine. Are we going to be compatible for the REST OF OUR LIVES.
    4) Do we agree on a lot of things? Or disagree? On what kinds of things? Concentrate on those things.
    5) What is your idea of commitment? This is so very important. My idea is that once we have kids we will never part (except for and unless you have an affair but that's another post). Kids cement the relationship. You are now family. Forever. It never ends. Period.

I say these things with a newlywed 16 years of experience. And also the knowledge that it doesn't matter at all whether you are hetero/gay/lesbian. All marriages require a huge level of commitment.

8. Firepit5

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Can't find a way to edit that and its driving my crazy. When I said "being married is so many things that it describes a simple description" I meant to say "proscribes" not describes.

"

9. gravechild

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
  10. XpumpkinspiceX

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Well, we aren't married yet, but my boyfriend and I have lived together for quite a while now. What I can tell you so far is that it's pretty similar to a heterosexual relationship... We argue about things like doing the dishes, cleaning the apartment, etc.
    We grocery shop and pay bills and sit on the couch and watch tv. There's really nothing unique or strange. (We don't however, ever argue about putting the toilet seat down. It pretty much always stays up lol)

11. happydavid

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm guessing it's the same as a normal marriage but you can't have kids in the same way