1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Deleting your Facebook, yay or nay?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by ConnectedToWall, Sep 30, 2016.

1. ConnectedToWall

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I almost never go on Facebook, and pretty much never post. It just seems like a waste of time to me, and I would rather spend my time actually talking to people or doing other things. That being said, if I do delete, I feel as if I will be cutting ties with a lot of people--who I guess really aren't in my life that much anymore anyway--more permanently.
    What do you guys think?
    To delete or not to delete?

2. Sealgirl19

Facebook is great for networking and finding out info in your local area. If you feel that you don't need to do that you can't delete it. Currently I'm logged off of my account I'm taking a break from them for a while to notice the world around me.

3. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Most people seem to be getting bored of Facebook and I know many who have deleted their accounts. To me Facebook is turning into the next MySpace and will most likely be gone by 2020. Also I think it's really annoying when people say if you don't forward this you don't love your mom. Or when they say type 'amen' I find that very offensive as an atheist. Or when they have those stupid pokes. I agree though it is retarted and I have considered deactivating my account.

4. RedEyeFlash

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not a lover of social media. I refuse to own a cell phone and I'm still in the same boat. I've given serious thought to deleting Facebook. The only thing that keeps me there is the pictures. Nobody trades pictures in person anymore. As for the people. If they're that important to you, you'll find a way to keep them in your life. We didn't have social media back in the day and we still kept networks of friends just fine. I say delete er.

5. SkyWinter

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I would say it's not a bother to have it even if you don't use it. Just view it as a resource to be used when you need it.

6. justin88

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Yay. I deleted my FB years ago and I don't miss it at all!

7. Xochipilli

Maybe yay? I don't see the harm in letting it be if it doesn't really bother you.
    I deleted my Facebook account once I graduated high school. It was baggage I felt like I needed to clean up. I also hated high school/middle school and Facebook was a reminder of that. :dry:

I have a new account now, but it's strictly family. When coworkers ask if I'm on Facebook I lie and say no. :lol:

8. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
  9. Shorthaul

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I know a few people who don't have one at all. I pretty much just use it to check on a few friends and family that are out of state.

10. Spot

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'd say delete it, I deleted mine for the same reason. I was worried about losing some people but we didn't speak too much by that point anyway. If you don't really talk to the people that you'd be cutting ties with, then I'd just delete it. I guess they could find some other way to talk, if they wanted to keep in contact afterwards :slight_smile:

11. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's your right to delete it, of course, and if you don't use it and people don't really bother contacting you, it's no big deal, but I wouldn't offer the same advice to people who are quite active on Facebook. If you suddenly delete your profile you may cause people to worry about you. If you intend to delete your Facebook profile, just think about how you will do it.

12. Darthsam

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've stop using Facebook as well I'm over it so much stupid stuff on I never really used it anyway I like ec better

13. Joelouis

I rarely use the site much, but I'll keep my account active as I could always contact people on there if I needed to. I think most young people are into Instagram or Snapchat now anyway. Or am I even further from the modern world now?

14. Flowey

I have my facebook messenger friends so I can't really delete it.

15. SHACH

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    It's useful for the events function and Facebook group chats etc. Just organising large groups of people. Thats the main reason I keep it. Most people can't be bothered to post regularly any more.

16. Quem

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It's quite clear to me that you don't need FB.. Even if it feels you'd be cutting ties, you rarely go to it anyway. =) Deleting FB doesn't seem like a bad idea in your case.

I go to FB a lot to talk to people who live far away. Moreover, I'm in several study groups and FB is the way to keep each other updated. =) Those are my primary reasons to use Facebook. For you, this is not the case. If I were in your shoes, I would actually delete my FB. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

17. Kira

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I used it for like a week back when it was everywhere so I could keep tabs on a few individuals, but the site itself bored me and family started monitoring it like vultures.

I pretty much just use art websites and forums these days, going under an alias/username really works to keep family off my tracks. Plus I can ignore people, and I'm not so pressured to put pictures up because I hate my current look.

Didn't really get it, don't miss it. I didn't know how to delete it but I forgot the password practically a century ago. I was an idiot back then, so hopefully nothing is still there.

18. europeanguy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    id probably delete mine, as i never use it, but my parents post alot of stuff and would probably be annoyed if i deleted it, as then where else would i get sent stupid articles and really really outdated memes?

19. Opheliac

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    This.

It's different if you're addicted to it and you delete it to curb that, but if you don't use it anyway then there's no harm in keeping it just in case.

20. faustian1

^^^Yes, this is quite true, that V-bulletin-based forums are far better than facebook. I am active on several of them, but the only facebook presence I have is an account under a fake name, so I can read some of the local community group news. The design of facebook intentionally mimics triggers that snare addictive or insecure people into an awful cycle of dependence. In my case, I'm sure it would be simply awful to have a real account there.

The forums, on the other hand, can be very positive as they usually are issue-based or focus on a narrow subject area, such as EC does. The people on such forums already have many things in common, and it can make for very productive interactions.

Anyway, for the OP, it seems to me that you're not susceptible to the usual facebook traps, so it seems to me you could just keep your presence on there as a subtle little placeholder in the social media world. And for the rest who predict that facebook is becoming the next myspace, I genuinely hope you're right! Social media are making it even harder to connect in real life with people, because so many substitute mindless social media banter for real interactions with others.