1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What are your three biggest fictional influences?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Kodo, Oct 1, 2016.

1. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you had to say what three works of fiction influenced you the most profoundly, what would they be?

The fiction could be a book, film, show, video game, et cetera.

2. Quem

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Is it bad that I honestly cannot think of anything..? Do you mean, influenced your character, views on the word and so on? Those kind of changes?

Most of my views get changed by (scientific) papers and videos. Or by people around me, debates on the internet (whether in written form or in videos).

3. Kodo

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It doesn't have to be a paradigm shift in worldview as the result of fiction. Any kind of influence great or small that is attributed to a work of fiction is what I mean. Something that is meaningful to you.

4. Deinna

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Lord of the Rings (Movies, I have only read the first one) introduced me to fantasy many years ago, and the trilogy are still close to my heart.

TV show called The 100. It has taught me a lot about humanity and challenged me with many moral dilemmas, while being extremely good show.

There is probably a third one, but I don't really know one now.

#4 Deinna, Oct 1, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2016
  5. peter goose

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hmm, I love Homer. And while Herodotus was a early historian he wrote really well "in peace sons bury fathers,in war fathers bury son's". There are various translations of these old classics.
    Flashman by George MacDonald Fraser is awesome!

6. Kira

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    That is a tough one. As far as fictional goes, mine are more so design influences than anything else as my moral influences tend to be based on observation on how not to be.

I'd say R-Type and it's series for it's elegant designs of sci-fi craft. You really don't see designs like theirs anywhere else and someday I wish for my designs to feel the same way. Not many people seem to know of it, though.

As practice in 3d modeling and building simulators, I tend to attempt a POW-Armor replica as a means of both practice and a use for my love for it. Doing it several times over and there are still intricate details I miss in it's seemingly simplistic design.

[​IMG]

Secondly, Star Wars for similar reasons. I have a slight obsession with robotics and intricate/advanced technology. I'd often wonder to what extent the droids could reason, I used to have heavy mental debates on it as a child. I could never function in a universe like that, as I'd practically be a Jawa. Star Wars was the first sci-fi film I had ever watched growing up before the double digits and has still failed to lose my interest. The views of the cities and aircraft flying above them were perfection in my eyes, and still are.

I'd be that one nerd who would attempt to relocate an entire derelict droid army into a carrier and take them home for "research". Since then I've been really interested in real AI and wishing I were born a few centuries later. Not an AI, but Grievous was an interesting childhood role model in terms of appearance and capabilities.

Lastly, Portal. I know, I know. "But Kira, it's all non-existent machinery!" as I'm drawn to that sort of thing despite being uninterested in modern technology like cars and planes. It wasn't just the impressive designs that caught my eye here however, as I feel it has not only expertly designed characters and settings but as well fantastic development and gameplay that really makes you think. I tend to start the games up every now and then when I'm feeling incapable, and it often gets the gears turning again.

Not only is it beautiful and puzzling but there's also a lot of cryptic underlying sections of it's story, many of which can be answered by sneaking off into hidden corridors and vents. And when you need a little comic relief the humor is pretty spot-on. I won't spoil that though, for those who haven't played it yet.

7. bookreader

Out Status:
    Some people
    Mario Kart DS, Connor Stevens, and Harry Potter series

8. I AM MEOW

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Lord of the Rings is and always will be one of my favorite works of fiction. The fact that someone could create such an elaborate fictional world is just amazing.
    Batman (60's-70's), specifically the Joker from Batman. Although he is absolutely evil, the fact that he enjoys himself so much with everything he does is great, he's entirely inspired by his idea of fun (at least that's the enterpretation 5-9 year old me had).
    The manga and anime works of the group CLAMP. I discovered their works in my preteen and early teen years, when my family was still ultra conservative Christians. It was kinda my introduction to the world outside the hetero-cis normative world I grew up in. They only have maybe five canon straight couples, but I can't even begin to count the canon gay/lesbian couples that they have written (they also tend to stay away from the anime trope that being gay is just a phase). Is can also be debated that there are also several poly characters as well. They also have a work where the majority of the characters don't have any concept of gender. Not to mention the immense universe they created where most of their works are different worlds in their "multiverse". They also wrote/are still writing my two all-time favorite manga titles.

#8 I AM MEOW, Oct 1, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2016
  9. Jellyfish Clear

The anime and manga Space brothers. As it really taught be to dream and is really inspirational.
    The anime Yowamushi pedal. A sports show hasn't influenced me (a really lazy person) to actually really want to.do a sport before.
    The musical Touken ranbu Atsushiyama ibun as it really helped me when school wasn't going well and my mind wasn't in the best of places.

10. Opheliac

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Watership Down. The first Dungeon Keeper game. Peter and the Wolf.

11. ForNarnia

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Harry Potter, Corpse Bride and Borderlands.

Harry Potter taught acceptance and determination.
    Corpse Bride taught me to always be cautious, and that it's better to let things go than to let them define you.
    Borderlands taught me the importance of freedom and badassery :wink:

12. Bubbletea

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Currently any book by Neil Stephenson but the book witch it all started with was Diamond Age. If you love steampunk/future/fantasy with a REALLLYYY good story, go pick it up. Its only 600 pages so a good introduction into the magic mind of Neil. Ive read almost all of his other books and that has been an enormous influence in my inspiration and motivation in the last 5 years of my extreme depression. Ive sent him so many thank you mail too haha.

Also, the Mass Effect series (game) has been an enormous influence on me these last 5 years. At first it just looks like a regular game but it heavily supports on the decisions you make going from small things like go left or right to enormous things like deciding weither you let Earth be destroyed or save a council. It is designed in a way that you emotionally become friends (Im not kidding, it is 1000% true) with your crew members and it turns out to be 1 big set up to die. Because the game is about indoctrination and the makers actually start indoctrinating you as a real person without you knowing it and ultimately influence your final decisions. Its sooooooooooooo good. Omg.

And final, Id say any manga or anime. I watched/read quite a few so Im not gonna pick one hehe.

13. baconpox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not sure about 3, but Captain America was always a big role model for me. So much of my personality stems from loving that character, I've probably become a lot more altruistic and willing to stand up for my beliefs because of him.

14. peter goose

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay

CLAMP stuff is pretty goodgood xxxholic was great.

15. Libra Neko

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Anne Rice's Mayfair Witches novels
    Rurouni Kenshin manga
    Sailor Moon anime

16. oh my god I

1. Lord of the rings was one of my consistent escapes from my bad childhood, both the books and movies
    2. Many many Disney movies (but Cinderella & Tangled are 2 good examples) helped me have faith in something better out there beyond my restrictive home life
    3. NANA helped me cope with and reminded me of the beauty of life in one of my darkest time periods when I was finally out on my own in the big world.

17. baconpox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Also X-Men helped me to accept being trans.

18. Hushhh

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I love harry potter!
    Never ending story, and django unchained.

But if you refer to the influence on my Sexuality, I guess the book "passions wild and free"
    The Brit coronation street, I've been following sophie, sian, and kate for a while now.
    Hmmm what else... Ah! It might be shallow but I like olivia in "she's the man" starring amanda bynes. :icon_redf:slight_smile::slight_smile::slight_smile::slight_smile::slight_smile::slight_smile:
    Oh may I add, I love SMALLVILLE and all main characters. Equally Hot Clark Kent and Lois Lane!!!

19. AmyBee

The Blossom Culp books, New Mutants comic, Nana.