1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Story about gay kid(s) in high school?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by reny, Oct 5, 2016.

1. reny

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Family only
    This is going to be super confusing, but I'll give it a shot. So. I'm writing a story about two best friends who are starting their first year of high school (which is going to be grade eight because that's how it works in my town). One of them is super nerdy but he's also athletic (let's call him Max, because why not?) The other doesn't have much of a personality yet, but he's not really into sports. They both join a leadership club despite it being the most uncool thing you can do. High school is kind of the place where you loose and make new friends, but the boys are determined to stay friends. I don't have a plot, which is why I need help. Should it take place in the early 2000's or current year? Who's POV should it be in? Are they both gay? A subplot? What else conflicts with their friendship? Maybe a girl? I don't know what I'm doing so any help would be appreciated.
    :thewave:

2. scanner007

reny,

well first, why did you want to write a story about two best friends to begin with? You've probably already thought about that a little. What is the story you want to tell?
    What is it you want to talk about to your reader? Yes, its enough if its just an entertaining story about two boys being friends. You might try beginning with an outline of the story.
    TITLE: Story about two gay kids in high school.
    Plot: The life and times of two boys coming of age and sharing a close personal friendship while attending high school.
    A: Act I - SETUP
    1a: subplot
    2a: subplot
    3a: subplot

B: Act II - Confrontation with a twist in the middle. Building of the action.
    1b, 2b, 3b, etc.

C: Act III - Climax and Resolution
    1c, 2c, 3c, etc.

The End : What is the final message you want to deliver? What happens to the characters after the story?

Ok ..so theres your outline. ..now you can start by plugging in the different story elements you want to include in your story and then simply keep expanding on it. Pretty Soon you'll have a complete story. As far as the creative parts go, thats ujp to you. I would tell a story that means something to YOU. Share some life experiences that you've lived yourself, but then of course being the writer you have license to fictionalize and embellish on those experiences and make them fit your story to convey the message you want.

Think of this story as your own little universe. You can create this universe however you like, and you make all the rules. Your story will be the most entertaining and the most fun for you if you imagine the power you have in creating something not only you can enjoy, but let others peek into your universe and see how they interpret what you've written.

Lastly, I cannot stress enough to make it personal and base it on your own experiences, wants and desires. Why do you want to write about two best friends? Make you don't have that and you want to imagine it. Maybe you do have that and you want to think about how it could be different if you were both gay. Don't be afraid to put some feeling into the book, because that is what will touch you and your reader.

GOOD LUCK,
    Scanner