1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Future Teacher and LGBT Can I get a Job

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by hptrek314, Oct 7, 2016.

1. hptrek314

So, I am a junior in college and was just accepted into the social studies education major (I'M SO EXCITED AHHH (!) ) at my school. I've been wanting to be a teacher since I was a kid, but now my new reality hits: Will I have problems getting a job if I am open about my sexuality? And how can I use my sexuality to help guide the high school students I plan to teach someday? I want to be a role model for my future students, I want to be out and proud, but my problem is, I live in Georgia, I love living here and I don't want to move, but how can I be openly lesbian and teach in a southern high school?? :eek:This has been on my mind so much this past week..

2. Sealgirl19

As long as you're not putting sexy pics of yourself then you're good right lol. Seriously though I don't think it should be a problem for you to be an openly gay teacher you may have your occasional judgemental parent but as long as you're a good teacher and the kids are learning then there shouldn't be a problem.

3. 108

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I had a gay art teacher in middle school that I was oddly close to, which was the age I started noticing boys. I never confessed my attractions and his sexuality was never talked about. But, he was the first adult I encountered that made me feel like I wasn't alone, that there was not something wrong with me. He doesn't know how much him simply being open helped a young confused boy like me. You can definitely be open but it's a subject I would tread lightly unless approached by a student seeking help.

4. SHACH

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I would just say, would a straight teacher do this? Should be your filter phrase. Like, stright teachers are not out to flaunt their heterosexuality. But they do have the privelage of casually mentioning a partner without having to think twice about it. You could also perhaps mention if you read a really good tame sorta teen fiction lgbt book if you're feeling more bold. But there's no need to go on about it or try and develop an agenda. Keep it just as forward as a nice straight teacher would be, and you'll probably immensely helpful any lgbt kids and avoid too many complaints.

But you probably shouldn't take any advice from some random British girl, I mean, the South is pretty intense.

#4 SHACH, Oct 8, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 8, 2016
  5. CJliving

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I had plenty of out teachers in high school (and yeah, okay, not the US, but still). I don't know about laws in Georgia, but I'd look into if they can legally discriminate against you for being a lesbian. If they can't, then it won't be a problem. If they can... well hopefully that changes really soon.

I'm not out, but I don't change my presentation for school, so it's not particularly like I'm hiding, more that they assume and I don't correct them. I think most people I work with assume I'm a lesbian, and I know the students assume so (cause they ask, the little fuckers XD). Japan is very far behind in terms of gay rights, but no one has ever brought it up or made an issue. I think you'll be okay!

6. hptrek314

So I looked up Georgia laws, apparently Georgia is one of the states that has no law protecting people in the LGBT community against discrimination in the workplace, meaning if I am discriminated against for my sexuality, not much I can do about it, anyone have any more insight on this?

7. Kasey

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Not all states have anti discrimination laws against lgbt. Up until recently Massachusetts had no protection for trans people. As one of my colleagues said to me about being a non tenured teacher, they could fire you over your haircut if they wanted.

New teachers before tenure have to walk on eggshells, sorry to say you are in a precarious position in Georgia as far as I can figure out.

8. 3n

3n Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    The music teacher at my school is openly gay, and he's had no problems; then again, I'm in a different state but best of luck to ya either way :grin: