1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

BSG (Battlestar Galactica)

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by gazwkd, Mar 26, 2009.

1. gazwkd

gazwkd Guest

Having just completed watching the full series including the finale' I'm just curious to other peoples thoughts on the series as a whole.
    Who liked it, who didn't and the reasons why?

I loved it, following the characters through the different adversaties they faced.
    Watching the choices some of them made. Acouple of scenes were quite harrowing as well such as the cylon prisoner on the pegasus who had obviously been raped and generally degraded.
    The mutiny on Galactica was also a favourite.
    The final episode was in my opinion brilliant, it didn't answer all the questions i had. Although I'm happy with that I like things that leave me thinking.
    There was one scene that was pretty emotional in the final episode - If you've watched it I'm sure you'll have an idea of which one I'm on about.
    And one final point from me.. the music to the series is absolutely fantastic.. my fave has to be this track which is linked to the Roslin/Adama characters...

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HG-Js_rMEV4[/YOUTUBE]

2. SlickyPants

I also love the series and the final episode as well. A lot of people I know thought it wasn't that great but I found it to be very satisfying.

Sure they left a few loose ends but that isn't necessarily a bad thing. It just offers up a chance to interpret the conclusion the way you want. Explaining and answering every little question might ruin that.

3. inTheAttic

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    BATTLESTAR GALACTICA!!!!!!!!!! :love: My favorite show on TV, period. Although i'm very sad it's over now, I'm also extremely happy it ended so well.

I personally agree that it was a very satisfying finale. I was sooo worried that they were going to leave them out in space, bringing closure to the characters, but STILL in space. (small spoiler warning) But they didn't.

I really can't think of anything else they could have done to make it better. Yes, there was still a bit of mystery hanging in the air (cough....starbuck....cough), but it was good mystery. Just enough that you could come up with a satisfying explanation on your own.

And I couldn't agree more gazwkd - the music to the series is phenomenal. I have to say my favorite "theme" used in the show has to be the opera house theme; on the soundtrack as "The Shape of Things to Come" in season 1, and "Allergo" in season 2, but used many times throughout the whole series.
    That, and I absolutely love how they took the arrangement of "All Along the Watchtower", and used bits and pieces of it throughout season 4 with the final 5 cylons. Especially when Starbuck started playing it on the piano; I thought that was brilliant.

A wholly phenomenal series - I think it's going to be a while before something like it comes along again.

4. StrataScribe

Haha, BSG!!
    <-- Can you tell I was a fan?

And I mean WAS. After the finale I am glad is it over - well, not completely, but still....BSG was the BEST thing on tv...until the finale when, in my opinion, the producers ruined it. I think that last hour was an insult to the series and the fans. Sure this was a character driven show but it also shined the brightest during its intense battle scenes (first hour of the finale, anyone?) and I feel that last hour where everyone walked into the sunset was a little cliched and way too drawn out. Did we really need 45mins of them walking aimlessly around? Roslin's final scene was the only memorable (and heartfelt) moment I actually liked, and I hated HATED Starbuck's sudden revelation - or should I say lack thereof. Seriously, I have read numerous interviews, reports, blah, blah, blah that state the producers (their names escape me) had NO clue how to end Starbuck's storyline and they only brought her back in S3 for shock value. Boring. If you can't write a semi-believeable story, don't string us along for two years and admit to the fans you had no idea how to explain Starbuck. It kinda takes the excitement and suspense out of it. And don't get me started on the 'poetic' ending with Head Six and Baltar walking down a NY street! Really!? And in case you didn't notice, that guy reading the magazine was one the producers, the guy who actually got this re-envisioned version of BSG on its feet. That alone made the ENTIRE hour a joke. I guess I was just looking for some kind of big :eek:MFG moment to close the series - and that's why I'm so ticked.

Urgh, sorry. End of rant. :slight_smile:

But yeah, aside from the finale, BSG was the best thing on TV. And the music definitely was what made it so good. I have all the available soundtracks, haha. Top of my playlist. So beautiful. And chaotic. I have to agree with inTheAttic, "The Shape of Things to Come" and "All Along the Watchtower" are my two all time favs.

#4 StrataScribe, Mar 27, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 27, 2009
  5. fulofbul

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    BSG is frakking awesome.

This week is the first week since the last ep and i am already missing it. To be perfectly honest, the first hour of the finale was sooooo good - Cavil(need i say more!). But the second hour and how it ended was a bit too anticlimactic for me. However, in saying that, in most series finales, die hard fans like me might have too high expectations and expect more and more right up till the end. Thinking of it, i think the finale was not all that bad. Certainly could have been better.

But i really hated the ending that they did for Starbuck and Gaius......( dont want to spoil it for the people who haven't watched it)

All in all, BSG is the best TV series i have ever watched(not including cartoons/animes) and there will probably be very few/ none that can top it!

P.S. Does anyone still use the word "Frak" ? I frakking love it. Frak Frak Frak