1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

here we go again

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by tallship, Mar 26, 2009.

1. xadude

the really should stop doing that! its crazy and im sure it doesnt work...

2. EM68

I read the headline and stopped. These articles drive me crazy.

3. Eleanor Rigby

My husband show me that when I came back for lunch. That drive us crazy ! How long will we have to deal with that ? I just can't believe it !

4. Alex19

at least the ppl in that atricle say how it doesnt work. i cant believe that someone would try to cure another person of their sexuality. countless associations have said that its not a mental disorder and that its foolish to try to cure it seeing as it isnt something to be cured. not to mention it messes up the person even more.

5. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I read it on the BBC News website last night, and I could not believe it. Therapists who engage in these sorts of things should be stripped of their licenses. They are doing more harm than good.

6. Kirakishou

So being gay is an emotion now? It's better than choice, I guess.:rolleyes:

7. silas99

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I just had a read of the actual journal article which is online if anyone is interested:
    http://www.biomedcentral.com/1471-244X/9/11/abstract
    If you click PDF on the right hand column then you can view the whole article.

I'm not so keen on their wording of their questionnaires that they gave out to the Psych healthcare workers. But some of the actual quoted comments that people wrote on the answers made me laugh (from page 12 onwards). Have a read if you get a chance.

I think we should look at the positive side of this....it's only 4% that would help a homosexual change their orientation. Note the wording, these professionals agreed they would help the individual if they came to them with a specific request to change their sexuality. And thats counselling...none of the aversion treatments of the past. I very much doubt you would even get 0.1% that would agree to forcing someone to change their sexuality. In 5 years time that 4% will go down to 3% and then to 2%.....it just takes a bit of time. I dont honestly think this study has told us anything we didnt already know.

8. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    At least the article reported the facts. I find it shameful that these psychiatrists would try practices on their patients that they know to be dangerous and emotionally harmful because they "must serve their patient", when people confused or unhappy with their sexuality are obviously not the most objective and informed observers.

9. Just Adam

my mate told me about this today i just said it wont work.. i hate they way they think beeing gay must be a problem oh were sick were ill were messed up in the head :| no i just like what i like thats life deal with it, someone always has a bug up there arse and takes something they dont like and try to make a crusade cure our sickness repent.... it jsut gets me so down i really am starting to feel something must be wrong with me perhaps thats just in general.

10. Sexiross

Sexiross Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    its bs...and i think the people that need to rwealize that this is not a disease.... not an addiction...and definetely not a problem... guys there is nothing wrong with u to seek help from straight people.. its just a big eff you to everyone1!!!!

11. The Enigma

The Enigma Guest

I don't understand how they can back such ludicrous research. I mean, really...There's nothing to back it up.

12. I think it's only really bad when it's like in America where parents are forcing their kids to go against their will. If people are going there of their own free will, it's not like we can tell them to stop with any sort of authority over them.

13. Katherine

The land of rednecks and pine trees (Georgia)
    Seriously. Why can't people realize there's NOTHING wrong with being gay? Why is it a mental disease because we want to date a different gender to make us happy? We're perfectly happy that way and it doesn't affect anyone negatively at all. Get over it. I'm happy the way I am, and even though it's not the easiest life to live, I wouldn't want anyone to try to change me to someone different. Why would I?

14. Kirakishou

That's true, but these people who go on their own will likely only do so because they live in a community that views it as being wrong, which is why they believe they need to change it. What they need is counseling, comfort in their orientation, not what these guys are doing.

15. They probably view it as wrong themselves, if they're taking the time to go. I mean that's why I wanted to check it out.