1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

At the risk of starting a political firestorm, I must say this:

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Firepit5, Oct 11, 2016.

1. Firepit5

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    My parents had 7 children and were married in 1945. My father passed away last year so they were married for 70 years. A more conservative, protestant, set of parents would be hard to find. Neither of my parents drank. No, we were not wealthy. My father was a coal-miner, the kind that came home with his coveralls covered with coal dust everyday.

Yet when one of my older brothers finally came out as gay during the 70's (!) both of my parents happily met his partner at the time and (although it was tacitly unspoken *yeah we kids spoke of it*) it was never a big deal.

This is all to say that in all of the political mess, some people like me are "conservative", whatever that means to you. I have been told that I am more libertarian than anything else. But keep in mind that there are those of us that are open-minded about a lot of things that someone of the supposed opposing side may not think.

2. Cinis

Cinis Guest

I think that you do have every right to make this post. Political opinions,religion and other such things are not an indicator of someone's capability to accept others as they are without judgement. One of the most open and accepting people I know happens to be a right wing catholic priest.

3. baconpox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah. I used to be more conservative (now I'm just Libertarian) and was always pro-LGBT. I know lots of conservative people who are pro-LGBT. I really dislike how people act like it's necessarily homophobic to be religious and right-wing/Republican/conservative.

4. Shorthaul

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think most people probably have a few topics their views don't completely match up with the majority of their stance. Somethings I like what one side says about it, and other things I think the other side is dumber than a box of rocks.

The world is not black and white, but lots and lots of grays.

5. Firepit5

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Thank you. Weirdly most of my friends are Roman Catholics. That has a lot to do with where I grew up and then went to college. But sometimes I wonder. My views are fairly often confusing to people that already have an opinion.

---------- Post added 11th Oct 2016 at 10:47 PM ----------

If the Libertarians had a more elective candidate, I would probably be Libertarian. Thank you for your agreement on something that is important to me.

---------- Post added 11th Oct 2016 at 10:49 PM ----------

You just said a mouthful. Yep, lots and lots and lots of grays.

6. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The word "conservative" means different things in different parts of the world. In Western Europe, many conservatives are socially liberal, supporting issues like LGBT rights, gender equality, fair access to abortion and birth control. Most post-war Conservative Prime Minsters in the UK (Thatcher excepted) have been of a liberal mind on social issues.

7. Aussie792

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My country is led by a pro-LGBT liberal-conservative. So are Britain, New Zealand and to a lesser extent Germany.

It should be no great controversy. But I guess in the US politics is incredibly polarised and uniformity is expected of members of political parties or those who identify with a side of politics - and there's pressure to identify as such.

#7 Aussie792, Oct 12, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2016
  8. AlamoCity

When it comes to LGBT folk who are conservative/Republican, I always stop and think of how they got to that choice. I am a firm believer that many LGBT Republicans fall into one of two camps: they were raised that way or they seek some sort of power/validation from a group that seems to be a bit more "rarefied" in its membership, especially to certain groups. Now, I was born and raised in Texas so I can certainly explain how many gay Texans could be Republican, but when someone form the bastions of liberalism says they are a Republican, I do raise my eyebrow and think to myself (because momma raised me right) how they got to that.

There isn't anything I find wrong with conservatism, per se, but as others have noted, in the United States we seem to have an interesting side of it. You have the "religious right," the "tea partiers" (interesting that they actually base their name on an event that was a classic case of destruction of private property), libertarians, etc. They may use different ideologies to defend a particular position, but it oftentimes is two sides of the same coin. For example, with gay marriage, you had the "religious right" who would basically say it was wrong because God. Then, you had some branches of conservatism say "states' rights" and how the matter was for the states to decide and not a federal issue and liberty and whatnot. Interestingly, the latter would oftentimes say gay marriage was a "state issue" and would also claim to love freedom and the right of contracts, but would oppose gay marriage at the state level for [insert whatever justification]. Talk about hypocrisy.

That said, US conservatism isn't a monolith. You have the religious man who is conservative but also believes the words of Jesus commands the government to take care of the less fortunate; you have the libertarian who is against federal laws regarding LGBT issues but is strongly for it at the state level. Unfortunately, in the US, there seems to be a lack of diversity of thought at the upper echelons of the conservative movement(s).

9. Firepit5

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight