1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Cruelty-Free Beauty

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by iiimee, Oct 11, 2016.

?

Is Cruelty-Free Makeup Important To You?

1. No, and I don't wear makeup.

27.3%
  2. No, and I wear makeup from companies that test on animals.

9.1%
  3. No, but I wear ONLY cruelty-free makeup.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  4. Yes, but I don't wear makeup.

57.6%
  5. Yes, but I wear makeup from companies that test on animals.

6.1%
  6. No, and I wear ONLY cruelty-free makeup.

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  1. iiimee

Hey, just curious guys... What companies do you get your beauty/makeup/cosmetic products from, and how important is cruelty-free beauty products to you?

Personally, I don't care if the company I get my makeup from is cruelty-free, which is probably pretty obvious since I mostly use MAC foundation, which sells to China... Still, I also use BareMinerals for my contour occasionally, and they're cruelty-free I believe... but yeah, personally I don't care that much, but I've noticed I'm a minority among my friends. XD Still, it doesn't surprise me- half my friends are vegans or vegetarians. I wanted to see how important it is to the average makeup user, since obviously my circle of friends has a giant bias to be cruelty-free.

EDIT: HOW DO I EDIT POLLS? XD I accidentally put "No" for the last one but meant yes.

#1 iiimee, Oct 11, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2016
  2. AlamoCity

I don't use makeup, but I'm not exactly anti animal cruelty. I would prefer it'd be tested on sensitive individuals and be "sensitive approved," since that's what usually gets me with lotions and skin products.

3. iiimee

The poll's about makeup, but I kind of made it a general discussion. Yeah... it might not be ethical, but I think testing on consenting humans might be better, so long as they get paid. :/ But yeah... from what I've heard, they put makeup in the animal's eyes sometimes to make sure it's not massively bad for that area, so maybe not...

#3 iiimee, Oct 11, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2016
  4. RainbowGreen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm not for animal testing since it is often inaccurate and, obviously, bad for the animals involved.

I really couldn't care less about makeup, but I think it's absurd to test it on animals. For medicine, you at least have the pretext of saving lives, even if most of the tests will be invalid due to massive difference between humans and the animals who have been tested. With makeup, you don't really need it either way, so why make innocent suffer for fashion?

Science is becoming more advanced now, so it's now becoming possible to test those things on artificially generated skin/organs. To me, that'd be the best solution because not only are your test more accurate, but you also save animals. Win-win.

5. Quem

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I share the same view as RainbowGreen, but I think to a more extreme extent. I'm really against testing cosmetics on animals, I just cannot wrap my mind around the fact that people think this is okay. Like RainbowGreen said, it's cosmetics we're talking about, not life-saving medicine. Not only do I find the testing on animals disgusting, I find people's indifference or lack of care towards testing on animals despicable as well.

6. killswitch0029

Testing unnecessary products on animals is pretty fucked up in my opinion. The rabbit or mouse or whatever did nothing to deserve being exposed to a shit ton of chemicals and other crap all in the name to see if we can make people look pretty.

7. ForNarnia

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'm against animal testing. I don't want people to test on animals, but I don't have the time, money, or energy to find out specific brands and where to buy them.
    I'd prefer my makeup to not be animal tested, but I won't go out of my way to make sure. If I see something I like, I'm gonna buy it.

---------------------
    I did a quick search, and apparently the makeup I usually buy is not animal tested, so I guess that worked out well.

#7 ForNarnia, Oct 12, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2016
  8. Opheliac

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I don't wear makeup outside of the stage (and when I wear it on stage it's usually someone else's, and there doesn't seem to be much point in trying to be super-righteous with someone else, over makeup they have already bought)

I feel like if I did wear makeup I would make it a point to ensure it was cruelty free. But I don't so I can't bring myself to care enough about it.

9. baconpox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I haven't worn makeup for over a year, but I always got cruelty-free. I'm not going to support animal cruelty to save a couple dollars.

10. CJliving

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I very, very rarely wear any make-up, I've never wore a lot, but I am 100% against testing cosmetics on animals. It's unnecessary, they know well enough about the chemicals they're using these days. There's no good reason (saving money is not a good reason) to not test on paid, consenting humans.

All my cosmetics (aka eyeliner) are cruelty-free and I only use LUSH soaps.

(Also, not vegan or vegetarian, and totally okay (read: estatic) that my dad went hunting and shot a moose last week. So it's not just "animals are friends; not food" types!)

11. Gunsmoke

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I feel bad about it, but honestly I just buy whichever make up a) suits my complexion, and b) isn't horrendously expensive. But I only buy bath products from Lush, if that counts. Actually, I literally just went there to pick up some bath bombs.

12. Gunsmoke

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    (Would just like to add that I'm not okay with animal testing. Obviously I'm against it so yeah, I'm not proud of the fact that I technically support the industry, I just buy whatever's cheapest. But I'm going to try to change that.)

13. Pneumaura

Why test products on animals when humans are going to be using the products?

And if there was the slightest thought that a product would harm or kill humans, why mess with it to begin with?

---------- Post added 13th Oct 2016 at 07:35 AM ----------

Well currently 85.9% of people who voted for your poll said they don't even wear makeup including me, lol. But I personally don't understand the concept of animals testing either way. It's going on HUMANS. So why put it on animals? :eusa_doh:

14. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If I had a choice between cosmetics and wasn't allergic to everything, I would probably care. My priority and trouble is finding cosmetics that don't cause allergy and won't make my acne worse, though.

If I didn't have a ton of food allergies too, I would probably care to be vegetarian. But I do have a lot of allergies, that specifically include meat and pea-like plants, so it's either me or them business.

But I agree that the methods of animal testing, especially cosmetics, are pointlessly cruel, and hey, why not test on people? I don't get it. Maybe people are too expensive?

15. ModernCat

ModernCat Guest

I've heard there IS an alternative to animal testing, so why don't makers opt for that. I would prefer it to be not tested on animals, but then how would people know that it's cruelty free unless it's stated on the package? The Body Shop does that though, but they're expensive so...

16. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    (I just realised that I wrote allergy to meat, but it was meant to be milk)

17. ModernCat

ModernCat Guest

I don't wear makeups, but you know animal testing is done for shampoos as well.

18. KayJay

I don't really care. Whatever is the best bang for my buck.