1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ideas for a GSA club in High School?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Ameryllis, Oct 12, 2016.

1. Ameryllis

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So at my GSA we really don't do a whole lot at all, aside from watching the occasional LGBT themed YouTube video, so does anyone have any ideas for things that we could do?

I'm planning on giving the GSA teacher a list with ideas if I can find some.

2. Cinis

Cinis Guest

Hi
    GSAs aren't a concept where I'm from but I've been to a group for young lesbians so maybe that's similar.
    One part is just normal activities like cooking karaoke or going to the cinema together.( one time even a drag workshop I couldn't attend to T.T)
    I think anything where you just do what normal youth groups do and have fun together is a good idea.
    The LGBT part was mostly discussing and talking about personal problems. Discussions could be specific topics like the situation of LGBT people in specific countries or just general things like sexism and equality.
    Hope there are some ideas for you here

3. midwestgirl89

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hey! I never had a GSA in high school because my school was super conservative but I was in a GSA in college for over 4 years. I can throw out some ideas.

• Watch an LGBT themed movie (You said YouTube so I didn't know if you guys watched a movie yet or not)
    • Volunteer in the community at an LGBT place (or even not LGBT related, volunteering is cool for a group to do together)
    • Walk in an AIDS Walk or other LGBT centered event.
    • (I liked Cinis idea of having group discussions about current LGBT events or things in your life. We had those in our GSA.)
    • You could have a panel of students to talk in front of the group about their coming out experiences or just about issues in the LGBT community in general.
    • You could have a presentation on the difference between gender & sexuality, a presentation to go into the different letters in the alphabet, a presentation on other important stuff.
    • Go to Pride next year together!
    • Fundraisers to help the club raise money
    • An LGBT Dance could be a long term goal I suppose. I have heard about those before but don't really know what they're like.
    • Art projects that are LGBT related

Other activities not LGBT themed like:
    Pizza party
    Bowling
    Game night (cards, board games, video games whatever you all like to do)
    Play a sport together like frisbee or basketball.. or idk lol.
    Laser tag

It's the holidays soon (Christmas, Hanukkah, etc) so you could have a Secret Santa.

Lmao sorry that was so long. I have more ideas for college GSAs but for high school GSAs I don't know as much.

#3 midwestgirl89, Oct 12, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 12, 2016