1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hypothetical society situation- what if you could choose who you have a crush on?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Canterpiece, Oct 14, 2016.

1. Canterpiece

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Ok, so I was having a discussion with someone before about what the world would be like if we could choose who we fell in love with. In the situation that I came up with, everyone in the world carries around a device/ a machine of sorts and it would work like this:

On each device there is a button which you could press that would make you fall in love with someone else, and it would send a request to the other person's device- which they can either accept or decline. If they accept and also press the button for that person, they both fall in love. If the other person declines then it'll tell the other person but the other person would cease to have feelings for the other instantly.

So basically, everyone would be asexual aromantic until someone's request got accepted. Then they'd feel feelings for only their partner. There would be options on this device to break up with the other person,and only one person is required to be able to use the break up option- and once someone pressed that option, the other in the relationship would cease to have feelings for the other as well. They'd just go back to being friends, or enemies if they so choose.

Now, I can see there would be some potential problems with this system,like accidentally clicking the button, and someone else doing the same, and people getting together that really shouldn't (possible inbreeding leading to problems, ect).

But in this scenario, let's say that we all start of living in the world we do now, and one day we are given the opportunity to live in a parallel universe where these devices exist (and everything is the same except for the things stated above). There are no side effects to switching to this dimension, besides losing any orientation you had before (unless you were already asexual aromantic, then in which case it'd be the same) and not being able to return back to our current universe (so once you go into the alternative reality, there's no turning back) and you are only able to have monogamous relationships in this universe (no offense to poly people, but I thought this would make for an interesting scenario).

Now, you have a choice. You either stay in this universe, and things stay the same as they are now, or you leave to join the other universe where you can't go back once you're there. You still get to keep your memories of our universe, but you can't return to it.

Would you stay or go there? What consequences could said hypothetical situation hold? Why would you stay/ why would you go? What do you like and dislike about this situation? Would you tweak the devices/ change the situation slightly? If so, how? I'm in a speculative mood today.

And let's go! :eusa_danc

2. MulticoloredSox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    This is a really interesting idea. However, I'd choose to stay here for 2 reasons

1. Is there an exact replica of everyone from this universe in the other universe cause that would be confusing. I think it would weird me out to see all the people from this universe in the parallel one cause they wouldn't be the same people even if they act the same. And if the other universe had no people in it besides the ones who chose to go there then I wouldn't go because I'd have to leave people behind.

2. Even if I did end up there I feel like love would become really fake. As in you don't feel anything and then when someone presses a button you do. It seems sort of like everyone is being controlled by weird robots or something. I dont know, I mean it sucks when you get your heart broken but at the same time being able to gain and lose romantic feelings with the press of a button doesn't make it as "special" or sentimental.

I don't think I would switch universes for love to work differently because I like the way it works here. idk maybe that's just me though.:slight_smile:

3. Cinis

Cinis Guest

I think one major question would be wether what happens there could be considered"love" by our societies standards.

I like the idea itself because in theory it could bring people to look at their own relationships more logically and make them able to choose a partner that is compatible to themselves as well as encourage them to leave unhealthy or abusive relationships. Although I doubt that people would actually handle it this way.