1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

is there someone you consider as 'your one that got away'?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Blinko, Oct 17, 2016.

1. Blinko

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Well, mine was a lady that we met at a resettlement project for squatters at the coast. She had just graduated from the uni and was starting off as a surveyor and i had already spent a month at the site. The minute i laid my eyes on her i prayed that she be assigned to my group...guess it was a huge crush from the start.My prayers were answered and I tried so hard to focus on work and not show how nervous i was around her. Luckily enough, she grew fond of me and almost all my colleagues knew about it. Maybe this was because i had defended her from some homophobic a**holes at the site earning myself extra points lol. I was also more patient with her as a new member of the group. The weekend before everyone went back to their towns our supervisor organised a big bash with drinks and lots of food. She didn't wanna come because most people didn't like her but i promised to be by her side so she won't be alone and socially isolated..we had lots of fun...spent the night together and the next day ran across the beach like little children while drinking ourselves silly and sharing stories while splashing water on each other like little children...i fear swimming in the ocean but she convinced me to submerge my body while screaming like a lunatic...i never wanted that feeling to end....anyways...it was the last day of our time at the coast...we rode the bus together back to the capital as she lay her head on my shoulder and it was an awkward byebye. I stayed at the capital resuming work while she had to travel to a border town 8 hours away...she was my one that got away...:tears:
    please share your stories...lol

2. ForNarnia

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    That sounds so sweet :slight_smile:

As for me, it's less 'the one that got away', and more like 'the one who I never had a chance with'. :wink:
    So, I had been through a lot of crap during my time at secondary school. Things eventually straightened out, and I ended up joining this huge group of friends. I joined because of this girl who I'm gonna call Niña (because if she ever found this, I'd die).

She is the best and strangest person I've ever known, because she outright refuses to let anyone take any shit.
    Normally, people just get kind of awkward and ignore it when things screw up, but she made me embrace it.

My 'friends' before were not so great for me. They often bossed me around and were mean to me. I'm sure they meant it in a playful way at the time, but I was incredibly depressed, and it was only making my life worse.
    One day, they told me that if I didn't take their bags to the table for them, I couldn't sit with them. And Niña saw me on my way across.
    She stopped me, and scolded me, as though she were my mother. She just said "No, if you don't want to do that, you don't have to, you can come sit with us instead. You don't need friends who treat you the way they do."

And I dunno, maybe it was because nobody had ever told me the truth so bluntly before (it was all 'they only bully you because they're jealous' blah blah blah bullshit.'), but I listened to her.
    And because of her, I got away from those assholes and made myself some real friends.

At the time, I didn't realise what it was about her that captivated me. It didn't feel like a friend crush, it felt like more than that, but I wasn't gay... right?

Wrong, totally fell for her.

I knew she was really into RuPaul's Drag Race, and she sent me some links to a few movies. (Another Gay Movie, etc.) And she was really for gay rights. I know you shouldn't assume, but I did. I was so sure she was gay, but I asked just in case, shortly after I came out to her.

Bam. Turns out, she was straight. Heart = Shattered. I still talk to her, but it hurts to think I'm just 'that gay friend she hasn't seen in a while.'

(This is so specific, if Niña ever sees it, she'll know it's her, regardless of the name change.)

She's even tried to set me up with her friends on several occasions. I don't even know. That really hurts.

I just want to see her again. If all she wants from me is friendship, then I'll be a damned good friend to her. Now, I care too much about her to tell her the truth. So I'm stuck being a depressing sack, still hung up on someone I haven't seen in a whole year, who I only communicate with through messenger.

God, that sounds so sad and lonely haha :grin:

3. faustian1

^^^Haha, yes it's that way. Mine was someone who I think at first was interested in me. Haven't talked to him in years. At this point, wouldn't want to. In the beginning just like most of the crush threads here on EC. Dreadful. Won't let that happen again. Took years and years to get to the point where I don't give a crap anymore about it, except to remember not to ever do it again.

He got married. Still is. Pretty sure he's in the closet still. Life went on. Turned out different than expected.

4. mangotree

Yeah, I did 3 or 4 years of traveling and several times I met someone really nice just before I was due to leave. So I guess it was more that I was the one that 'got away'.

5. Boudicca

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I had a huge crush on this one girl, but I always assumed she was straight. After she moved away, I learned she is gay. I'm an idiot.