1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A girl in the wrong but so-right clothes

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by MagicPine, Oct 19, 2016.

1. MagicPine

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    I did it!

I shopped in the mens department.

I hate wearing girls clothes; I find them uncomfortable and revealing and so incredibly girly.
    Now don't get me wrong, I'm not butch - not that there would be anything wrong with that -. I am actually pretty femme to be honest. But then again, what is it that defines femme?
    If femme is only defined by pretty clothes and makeup, well then yeah, maybe I am butch.
    But if butch is defined by short hair and tattoos.... I'm not that either.
    I guess I'm in-between

Anyway, back to the point. I really love how comfy clothes are from the mens section but I was just so afraid to do it. I'm not out and I was -am- afraid that being seen in mens clothes would make people assume. And I am soooo not ready for people to know. I am still coming to terms with it myself.
    So I figured if I brought my mom with me, who is one of the few people I am out to, it would look like we were just shopping for my dad or someone.
    So she agreed to come along and as we were walking around I could see all these other women shopping there too, who probably were actually shopping for the men in their lives. It suddenly clicked that I don't look out of place here. They are literally taking no notice of me, I thought to myself.
    After about ten minutes I was comfortable enough to go try things on in the dressing room. I felt less afraid. And I rocked the outfits if I do say so myself.

It was the best feeling coming home and putting on my new clothes and feeling so right. The next challenge is to wear them outside where people can see me.
    But shopping in the mens section.... definitely something I'm going to do more often! Hopefully it will get easier and easier.

Anyone else have any experiences shopping in the opposite section?

#1 MagicPine, Oct 19, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2016
  2. Shorthaul

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Haven't shopped in the opposite section, but good for you. I'm glad you did it and are happy with the out come.

3. PrettyinPunk

Congrats on venturing to the otherside!

I've been shopping in the guys section for so long I don't think about it anymore really. I've worn boys, girls, and unisex clothing since I was little but my first active shopping for guys clothing was when I was a young teenager in Hot Topic. There's stuff in there marked by gender but the store isnt really gender specific. If you know the store you'll know what I mean but that kind of think isn't a big deal. I guess that normalized it a lot for me too. There was this one time I was in a small name brand store at the mall. One of the ones where they have someone fit you. I wanted to get a pair of guys cargo shorts, which I did as discreetly as possible. Only it was my first time trying on guys pants and I got the wrong size. So I had to get the fitter to grab the next size up, was a tad bit embarrassing.

Most people will assume if your a girl in the men's clothing aisle, that your shopping for your bf, father, etc. Or more likely they don't even care. I sometimes wanna just tell people "see these boxer's, they're for me not my boyfriend!":grin:

4. Opheliac

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Ohhhhhh I remember my first day shopping in the men's section! I literally only bought one t-shirt but I was SO proud of myself!

It was one of the most exhilarating things I have ever done. I always buy my t-shirts and shirts from the men's section now. I have quite an athletic physique and I HATE the way clothes from the women's section fit me. They're not made for muscular arms or wide shoulders at all, all the sleeves are too small and tight, the shoulders are too narrow. And as you go up in size, the shirts don't seem to get any longer, they only get wider. So since I'm kind of tall, I find that a problem too.

The only "women's" clothes I wear (I put it in quotes because I don't believe that any clothes are inherently gendered, it's just the way that they fit different body shapes) are jeans at this point, and I've been considering switching that too, but I know I'd have to test out a lot with regards to size, it's way easier to find a t-shirt that fits than jeans that do. Which means taking "men's" jeans into trial rooms which could get awkward! But it's something I have been thinking about, maybe I'll manage it within a few months! Because I hate how ALL jeans from the women's section have to be figure-hugging. I bought a pair of "women's" plus-size jeans years ago to try and counter it, but the waist is way too wide and even with a belt it just sits weirdly on me. I do already wear "men's" shorts and track pants for casual wear and for training, so yeah, hopefully I can make the switch with jeans soon!

This post turned out way longer than I thought it would :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: oh well! I'm glad you managed to do it, and I hope you find it easier as time goes on. Well done and good luck!

5. Mihael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congrats :slight_smile: lol, men's clothing is warmer. Last winter has been the first I went only in jeans and a tshirt outside and didn't feel cold. It has really been a surprise to me that nobody ever questioned me about men's clothes. And I outright said that I'm shopping for me. I guess I just look like that kind of person...

Anyway . That's great :slight_smile:

6. Gunsmoke

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yesss, go you!
    I don't actually wear men's clothes myself because they always go loose and I do not look good in baggy clothing, but I hear that it's a lot more comfortable...

#6 Gunsmoke, Oct 20, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2016
  7. myheartincheck

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't really shop in the men's department, but I love wearing comfy clothes. I sometimes wear my fiance's shirts and I used to have a comfy pair of boxers. I wonder whatever happened to it...

Anyways, I'm proud of you! Your mom rocks, too! :grin:

#7 myheartincheck, Oct 20, 2016
  8. SHACH

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Well it's good you could take your mum. I went alone and was sort of judged when I came home. But it was great because I overcame that fear of shopping in men's and that's great because everything in the men's section is much more comfortable and much more me. My favourite things are boxers... They're really comfy and make me feel sort of sexy in the way lingerie probably should. Haven't ever owned proper lingerie so can't compare, but I think I'll stick to boxers since they are probably a lot comfier as a bonus. I also love men's jeans because they have real pockets which is just heavenly, and a greater choice of cuts (not just super skinny). And I just prefer the look and feel of a nice men's t shirt. Tbh I just love manly stuff, I even wear men's perfume now.

#8 SHACH, Oct 20, 2016
  9. Andrea7579

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I hope this is not out of place, but the comments reminded me so much of how I felt when I went out and bought my first feminine clothes. I loved the options of skirts and dresses rather than just trousers and felt totally at home buying lots of different types and colours of tights to make my outfits look nicer. I just love the way the clothes fit snugly and my only regret is that my figure is not curvier.