1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Volunteering

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by boxinggirl87, Oct 27, 2016.

1. boxinggirl87

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I know the holidays are upon us and this is the time most people do their volunteer work. Right now my mind is on volunteer to keep me occupied.

There's two different projects I would like to do. One is making care packages for the homeless and passing out as many as I/we can. I have some friends that are into helping out as long as I lead it.

The other was something silly like filling holiday mugs or mini treat boxes with wrapped candy and handing them out to random people on the streets.

Have any of you done something similar or have any suggestions?

2. DawarSubram

I think volunteering is a good thing

3. boxinggirl87

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yea, I'm trying to find the best way to do things. The advice I've seen the most is to do things in large groups. And although i have a few friends that would help, I don't belong to a church or any other group. It's a bit discouraging but I'll find a way.

4. KSatt

Those are great ideas. The past couple of years I've worked with a small group of teenagers to mail Christmas cards to the elderly and shut-ins in the community. It's a great way to help those who may be overlooked feel more connected to the community and like they are remembered and important. It's also a great way to introduce the kids I work with to volunteering and serving others.

5. boxinggirl87

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    How would one go about doing that KSatt?

6. JonSomebody

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I volunteer in my neighborhood for quite a while now. What I do is give away food baskets to the homeless at the Community Center in my neighborhood and I also conduct every weekend hot meals every Saturday as well. Around the holidays...we give out Turkey Baskets that consist of a turkey with all the fixings that are made up from food that is delivered to the center from wholesale food companies as donations. We also serve a hot Thanksgiving meal earlier within that week also. We do the same thing for Christmas and for Halloween...we host a Halloween party which ends with everyone receiving a plastic pumpkin consisting of candy.

This is something that originated when I was homeless and I volunteered helping out in the food kitchen at a local church in order to keep my mind off my problems. From there...I promised myself that if I once I overcome the situation at hand that I will give back by starting the above mentioned. Therefore, you should look into volunteering at a local church or Community Center around this time of the year because a majority of them do look for volunteers to help out with distributing food for the homeless or underprivileged.

7. YermanTom

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When I was in my late teens I volunteered at a homeless shelter. It was both hard work and good fun. You will meet interesting people and find the experience rewarding.
    At the moment I volunteer at an information service - providing information on people's rights.

Volunteering for any cause is very rewarding. I have found that my experience has helped me deal with life, with all it's up's and downs. You will also get to meet loads of great people who volunteer.
    (*hug*)

8. KSatt

I made the connection with the kids who participated mostly because I'm friends with their parents. Some of them got their friends to participate as well. Then we made a list of elderly and shut-in people we each knew. The fact that I'm in a small community made it a little easier simply because it allowed us to have a greater awareness of who lives within the area. Some schools require community service projects, so that might be another way to go about seeking participation if you're interested in involving teens in community service.

9. boxinggirl87

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

Thanks for the great suggestions!

10. Geek

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    All but family
    For the past 6 years, i've collected funds to purchase gifts for kids in the local community. I average around 100 gifts a year.

11. AlexanderDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I used to go to a senior home with my classmates and read books to the residents.

12. boxinggirl87

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    In my research I've found some great sights that do bulk orders on gloves and feminine hygiene products. So that's a positive start. I'm also trying to think of the best way to ask my job if they would like to get involve. My company does a lot of charity work I'm just not sure how to ask.

13. JonSomebody

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    You can go to the Human Resource Dept. and present your request to volunteer for charity work that the company provides or if you don't want to face them directly then send an email to a HR Representative saying the same thing and see what happens. I'm sure you will be contacted. Good Luck!!!

:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:eusa_clap:thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

---------- Post added 28th Oct 2016 at 10:17 AM ----------

You are so welcome..:smilewave

#13 JonSomebody, Oct 28, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2016
  14. boxinggirl87

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks for the advice and kind words. My biggest concern is actually speaking with the HR. I have anxiety issues but I'm on medication that might help curb that a bit.

15. YermanTom

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Just be yourself and everything will be great!:thumbsup:
    (*hug*)

16. boxinggirl87

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My hr has one of those personalities that you never know what you are going to get. The by the book hr or the nice caring hr. The only thing that plays in my favor at the moment is they like to keep track of volunteer hours.

17. JonSomebody

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Then would you be okay with emailing them your request? or submitting a video of you speaking about it in a comfortable setting that suits and then submitting it to HR. What do you think???