1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Fitness nuts!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by boxinggirl87, Oct 28, 2016.

1. boxinggirl87

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't mean for that to come off sounding bad. I'm trying to get in better shape and I'm finding it to be rather hard. I don't drink sodas. I stay away from caffeine and artificial sweeteners because of medication reasons. I try to work out (granted some weeks are easier to get motivated then others) I'm even taking boxing classes. My eating habits are really bad.

Either way I am trying really hard to lose 50+ pounds, and yes this is needed not a high number and I'm struggling with it. Anyone else out there trying. Or anyone out there have those great motivational stories. Or just know what the heck they are doing in terms of health?

2. YermanTom

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My advice is to find a sport you enjoy and work hard at it. Eating healthy food helps.
    I run! I can do a 10k in about 44 minutes. This has kept my waist size the same as when I was 18 (I'm now 61).
    The secret of keeping fit is working hard at having fun. The boxing sounds like fun.
    If you can cook instead of buying prepared food, that also helps.
    :thumbsup:

3. boxinggirl87

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Boxing is fun and I would like to fight some day. The issue I run into most time's is I also suffer from depression and bad anxiety. So i was only going to boxing one day a week on a day off to the morning classes because there were fewer people. Right now I'm on new meds and they seem to be helping. The depression being a draw back is fairly simple. Again I'm working with getting the right meds for that but it takes time and most have a side affect of weight gain.

4. Batman

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'll second what YermanTom said about doing something you actually like. So many people treat going to the working out as a punishment, or view it as a "necessary evil", when it should be bettering your health in a way that works for you.

Another thing which helps me stay motivated, is by switching it up constantly. Whenever I start doing the same gym routine too often, it gets dreadfully boring. And its pretty hard to care about something that bores you. Trying out different machines or classes, or just doing what you normally do in another order.

I cant attest for this tip personally, but tonnes of people say working out with a buddy improves their time at the gym. Cuts down a bit on the "im all alone and dont want to do this" factor, and is someone who can hold you accountable for skipped sessions.

But mostly, just make sure to use proper form and in whatever you do, and have fun : )

5. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It sounds like you already know the root of your issue -- your "eating habits are really bad." Start introducing small changes to your diet until they become a routine. For example, cook an extra meal at home once a week, and find a nice, healthy recipe. Start eating an extra fruit or vegetable each day. Switch one meal to whole grain (eventually get to all). Etc. The statement I'm about to make I've really done no research on, but it makes sense to me: fitness/exercise shouldn't be used in place of a healthy diet. I think a healthy diet should be the foundation for your weight loss goals. It makes me sad to see people try exercising without fixing their diet, because I feel it'll never be a permanent solution.

6. Opheliac

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    "Exercise is a celebration of what your body can do, not a punishment for what you ate."

So I agree with the others here who say you should find a sport you enjoy. If you can make or bring along friends to do it with you, that helps even more! Having another person with you might seem demoralising at first but it really does help you maintain a schedule and stop you from giving yourself too many "cheat days" or "lazy days".

But I also think perhaps instead of trying to lose something vague like "50+ pounds", you should set yourself smaller, more achievable, weekly targets. Giving yourself a time goal can really help, and it's very motivating to see yourself make small improvements every week, rather than agonizing over large and random numbers in an indefinite amount of time.

Eating-wise it looks like you already know your problems. In addition to avoiding soda and sugary food, I'd suggest also try to avoid readymade food, and food made from white flour as much as you can. Also remember having 5-6 small meals throughout the day is healthier than having 3 huge ones.

7. boxinggirl87

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    All good points.

A friend and I are working on monthly bets. We both put in $10 and at the end of the month who ever has lost the most inches gets the $20. I do have smaller goals but I also know there's a bigger picture and maybe I do focus too much on that. I want to get to the point where my trainer says I'm ready to get in the ring and fight. I've been in the ring before as practice for other people and as fun as it was, it wore me out. Funny side note, one of the girls I was working with stopped and yelled at the trainer "Charlie she won't hit me!" mostly because the training's I had been to we were suppose to hold back. She didn't want me to hold back but I would still get just close enough to her face without touching her and bring my glove back. She said it's good I know my range but she wasn't going to move or block till I hit her.

I do have an issue with knowing which foods are okay to eat and which ones are not. It doesn't help that I'm a rather picky eater. I don't like nuts at all so those are out. Or most veggies though I love most fruits.

8. TidMaskin

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    As I know from my own experience the best solution is combining the healthy eating habbits (or diets) with different physical activity :slight_smile: That's very good that you're taking boxing, I like this sport too :slight_smile:
    Also you need to consult with a good doctor about your eating habbits, I think that such person can really give a useful piece of advice :icon_wink Try also to drink more fresh water, it's very good for cleansing your body and loosing extra kilos :slight_smile:
    And I think that you need to add smth to your boxing... As I know it's good for musculs but for loosing kilos it's better to start running, practise shaping or work with the special sport stuff like this one on StyleMann for example :slight_smile:
    I have the one in my house and it's a good extra activity to my usual yoga complex :rolle:

[​IMG]

Swimming is a good idea too :icon_wink

9. SunbroIbex

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I want to get in shape too. I'm actually thinking of going out for a walk now, and maybe jog some if I can be bothered to do so.
    But I still have some common cold shit left in me. It just doesn't want to go away this time.
    Exercise can help the process of getting healthy actually.
    And I hear it can help get rid of a headache even.
    Just don't do any exercise if you have a fever, since you will make it worse.

You can do some exercise stuff at home. Like squats, easy enough to do.
    Psuh ups, sit ups. Though you might want to buy some exercise maths.
    Jumprope is a great way to get exercise.

10. AlamoCity

When I started college I was relatively unfit and I tend to be an all or nothing person so I signed up and did a half marathon. Next Sunday I will be doing my sixth half. I like the goals of a race and the fact that it's motivation. I may not be the fittest but being able to run/jog some distance helps me keep in relative shape or at least not feel winded going up stairs.

Food wise, I stick to a mainly "paleo" diet. I just eat all the meat, fruits and vegetables I want and don't care about portion sizes. So far it's worked.

11. SunbroIbex

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    If you can, get a membership at one of those fitness studios.
    Going for runs in this season is damn cold if you live in a cold country like I do.
    I just went outside to exercise some. A little bit of jogging and walking, motly walking. Got so cold on my ears. My beanie was wet from Friday's work.

Get a membership, use the treadmills if you want to work on your cardio. I recommend it. But just like 2 days a week, like Monday and Friday. Then the other day do muscle training. Squats, stomach exercises, back and more.
    If you want to loose weight, don't be surprised if you'll gain weight at the start, since muscles weigh some too.

12. Nikky DoUrden

Something that i found working for losing weight is eating less oily things, and when u cook do it with less oil

13. Bolt35

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    diet plans don't really work out for me. i guess the key is to eat correctly. balancing out your meal is pretty important to your workout, especially when taking boxing classes. they require a lot of stamina and cardio, so you could probably throw in some meals that can help you out in the long run that goes along with your boxing. don't have too much of anything, sometimes people tend to eat more than they should.