1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Silly little sentimental things.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Dakku, Mar 29, 2009.

1. Dakku

So, I was wondering if anyone here had anything that they just happen to love having with them as much as possible?
    Something, perhaps, that was from childhood, from a friend they no longer keep in contact with, or even from someone who's passed on?

I just started thinking about it when I was sitting playing with my cats old collar there. (I've not been able to put it down since Thursday (.-. She was put down.))
    Then I started to think about my blanket, which had been my grandmothers AND my mothers baby blanket. And then again about Brock, my plush tiger that I haven't let leave my room since before I was able to talk. (Shockingly, he's not named after the Pokemon dude. xD; )

So, do you?

2. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    About a month ago, I moved out of home to live on campus at university. Among the things I brought with me were:
    -A letter from my best childhood friend
    -My baby blanket
    -Another blanket I've had for years
    -A teddy bear I've had since I was 9 and that turned out to be a pride bear
    -Another teddy bear I bought in year 10 and have slept with most nights since then
    -Several of my favourite books from when I was a kid

So, yeah, I do xD

3. Dakku

!!! I so did not just squeel over how cute that is! xD;;
    .. Childhood books are just the best thing ever. ]: My mom and me brought a bunch down from the attic not long ago, and they're all on my bookshelves now.

4. Jennn

I have plenty of things- perhaps not things I'd carry around with me everywhere, but I have a whole 'memory box' full of ridiculous things that anyone else probably would have thrown away.

5. Dakku

... You'd be shocked by the memory box my mom keeps for me. It has my first toenail clippings in a little jar. D: Damn, it even has my umbilical cord (EWEW.) in a glass jar. ]:
    But yeah, a lot of people keep boxes like that.

6. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ...Ew. I have one of my baby curls (my hair straightened out when I was about 2, and this is apparently "my last curl"), and things like my first pair of shoes, but the umbilical cord is taking it a little too far.

And childhood books are brilliant. I'm studying a unit about children's literature at the moment, but a lot of what I have here (half a dozen books or so) are just for comfort rather than study. The Baby-Sitters Club books were my childhood, and they're my ultimate comfort if I'm miserable and just need something happy and familiar.

7. Dakku

xD;; It is taking it a BIT far, I know. But my mom's one of those kinda... overly hippy types who thinks that it's some sort of magical bond, and so long as it's kept, I'll be closer to her.
    o-o;; I was doing a class at college that entailed us using children's illustrators as a base for some pictures we were drawing/painting/etc. xD;

8. pirateninja

Well, as I've basically moved practically all my stuff from my dad's house to my mom's, I've learnt what is really special to me and what isn't. :grin:

I mean, I have these really tatty wooden bookends with a train on them, but my late grandfather made them up to be the Hogwarts Express from when I was obsessed with Harry Potter. And as tatty and lame they may be, I cannot imagine parting with them.

There are also some clay figures that me and him made together; one in particular was a hamster made with an orangey brown clay. Me and him made it together after my first hamster, Rodney, had been put down. Me and Grandad made it together and he fired it and painted it :grin:

Also, because we were moving some of mom's old stuff that she had left before she moved out, we found a load of stuff from their wedding, even the lined sheets where she wrote out all the wedding plans. It was quite fun to see "Location - St Chad's Church, Reception - PP Hotel, Camera - Jim, Video - Dad, Bridesmaids - Di, Annie, Helen etc" :grin:

9. Katherine

The land of rednecks and pine trees (Georgia)
    I still have all my old childhood books on my bookshelves. And there are lots of other things, like this gold ring I have that my mom gave me when I turned 13. I'm always wearing it (I NEVER take it off) and have decided that if I have a daughter someday I'm going to pass it down to her. And I have lots of my old drawings from like kindergarten that I could never throw away. And video games that I used to play with my brother when we were little...I could never, ever get rid of those....

I'm just sort of a very sentimental person, I guess. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Now I'm feeling all nostalgic....

10. Mickey

First,I'm sorry you lost your cat. I know it's hard.
    My mom is the packrat of all packrats! She keeps mostly EVERYTHING,from Christmas stuff to a 5 dollar bill she found in my Grandmother's book,after she passed away.
    While I'm sentimental,I don't have a lot of room to keep things. I do have a blanket my other Grandmother made. It's on my bed right now and I will keep it,for life.

11. Bryan44

I have like this obsession that everything someone gives me will mean something to me, so I keep everything. I can never seem to get rid of anything that I receive from someone else. And most of it is in my closet or in storage.

12. Just Adam

whenever i go to the beach i bring back some pretty stones and shells and keep them :icon_redf its silly i know but its a memento of my trip :grin:

13. Thisisnew

My pogs from when I was little but I lost all the slammers and a small plastic horse I used to bring to 1st grade.

14. Just Adam

pogs:grin: i still got mine somewhere loads of them hehe i miss pogs i want them brought back i remember one of the happyest things was going into the shop and opening that packet seeing all the shiny pics of pog i have metal slammers hehe nija stars and saw blades glad i got them before they were banned :grin: ahh memorys :grin:

15. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I have some green jelly beans given to me by one of my favorite teachers in high school. They are 29 years old. lol I'm surprised I didn't eat them because I LOVE jelly beans!

16. Just Adam

i love jelly beans :grin:

17. The Enigma

The Enigma Guest

Nothing. I could leave all my sentimental valuables behind very easily. I don't attach myself to them. Nor do I like my 'baby' blankets, tore the teddy bears up, and there's not much else. I am a super neat freak and if something in my room doesn't serve a purpose it's tossed, sold, or destroyed.

18. Janvier

I have a picture of me as a baby in my mother's arms and a little yellow plush duck, my first toy.

19. Eleanor Rigby

I have a teddy rabbit that my mother knitted for me when I was a baby
    I have my husband chain around my neck from the day he gave it to me (8 years ago)
    I have in a boxes all the letters my best friend ever send me and the book he gave me when we were 14, and the last christmas present I bought him and never had a chance to gave him.

20. tm74

tm74 Guest

My childhood teddy bear, is sat on top of the chest of drawers next to my bed...