1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's it like being openly trans?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by baconpox, Nov 2, 2016.

1. baconpox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've always been stealth, and I'm considering changing that. I'd like to hear some anecdotes from anyone who's open about being trans at work/school/church/sports teams/etc. Are most people confrontational about it? How often does it come up? Any really bad/good experiences?

#1 baconpox, Nov 2, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2016
  2. AlexanderDragon

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    For me, it's not bad actually. I live in a hella liberal area though, so I dunno about where you live. The only people that aren't actively supportive are my parents, and I'm glad to say that I've never been overtly harassed where I'm at.

3. edy

edy

Out Status:
    A few people
    It must be great. I never dared to do it but....

#3 edy, Nov 2, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 2, 2016
  4. KayJay

I'm a bit more open about it to a variety of people. I am planning to relocate in August to Regina to live with my BF and I think that I'm planning to just go stealth when I get there. I think it'll make me feel more normal in a way.

5. iiimee

I am almost entirely out, though sometimes I go stealth- I can try to tell you what my experience has been.

I don't go to churches- I left after mine basically told me that there'd be no way I could transition and not expect backlash, AND that I could never marry a woman and it be recognized by the church. I left, and eventually left everyone in the church behind. This was seen as really shocking since I grew up in a very strict religion...
    I don't work yet, but I can imagine that it'd be the way a lot of places in my fairly liberal city are- there will mostly be people who are chill with it, but if my boss doesn't respect me than nobody will. At my last school, if one teacher disrespected me, everyone else did too, but now I go to a school with no tolerance for bullying and it's great! I am respected by everyone, or at least tolerated. The only times I am misgendered is on the bus, and that's just by this girl who was acquaintances with me in middle school and is for some reason the biggest bitch to everyone she meets. Anyway, I'd definitely say that it's great to be out, but you still probably can't discuss trans things with many cis people and expect for them to understand- they don't know what T does or how uncomfortable a binder is. Still, I live in a liberal place, so most people respect me- it is fairly uncommon but not rare for me to run into a transphobe, but then again my state is conservative despite the city being liberal, so... I suggest that you do what you're comfortable with. Just remember that once someone knows you're trans, they won't forget, at least not permanently.

6. Blood Elf

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Out Status:
    Some people
    My mom like literally never mentions it. She just acts like she did before I even came out to her, which is amazing. But, I've had both good and bad experiences from others in general, like my grandma. I told her years ago and she insisted she wouldn't tell anyone without letting me know first, she lied.

7. purplewolf6

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Family only
    Depends on where you live as well as your working environment. There are openly gay managers at my job but they are supported. My manager is trans but I knew before she told me. Flattered she trusted/trusts me but either way she's a foxy lady. I liked her more afterwards but I digress lol.

But really trust who you tell I know it's not as accepted everywhere. That support is needed everyone needs to feel loved. Too much hate in the world.

8. SkyWinter

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    That sucks. I'm sorry your grandma lied.