1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I hate texting, but I hate talking on the phone more.

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Sen1234, Nov 4, 2016.

1. Sen1234

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Why do people think it is ok to be having a conversation over text yet take forever to reply to the simplest of messages. I get that something may come up, but at least say you have to go or brb. I use text messaging as my primary communication so I would actually like to have a conversation with someone that doesn't take hours because of the reply delay. Anyone else feel the same way?!?

2. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Actually, Seneca, I'm from an older generation and I view texting quite differently. I see it as another form of email. Once I send a text, I expect that the person that I sent it to can read it and respond at his/her leisure. Sometimes that means exchanging texts in quick succession much like a phone conversation. Sometimes, it means a slow conversation over a period of hours or even days. I certainly don't expect anyone to simply drop what they are doing or change their plans simply because I sent them a text message. To me, it's not really relevant if they have time to shoot off a 'brb' text or a short text like 'I'll get back to you when I have some time.' But that's just how I view texts.:slight_smile:

3. Sen1234

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I get that standpoint, being from an older generation and all; but if I have been having a consistent back and forth messaged conversation and then all of a sudden they stop replying in a timely manner then I feel like they have little respect for that conversation.

4. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, I get that. I admit that when I'm having an active text conversation with someone and that happens, I get a little ticked at first, too. But then I remember that they are taking time out of their lives each time they respond and it would be silly of me to think that just because I'm currently free to interact with them, that they might not have other things going on in their life. And I certainly don't intend to monopolize their time.

Heck, maybe they are responding while they are in the middle of some daily chores, but I don't expect them to waste text by telling me about the chores. I just hope that they respond to my texts as time permits for them.

Does that make sense?

5. Sen1234

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It does make sense. It's easier said then done but i get it.

6. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Honestly, skype or E-mail is your best bet. I don't like texting that much because it can take forever for me to reply, the button keys are tedious. Plus, if I'm driving, I will not touch the phone at all as it is extremely dangerous. If I'm on a certain hour drive, others will just have to wait.

On the other hand, Skype is great because you just sit in front of the computer typing for hours until you have to go.

7. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I don't hate texting but I can understand where you're coming from.

8. RedEyeFlash

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I hate texting and refuse to own a cell phone for this reason. I view texting the same as I view a message on my answering machine or an email. If it is that important that I respond right away, you'll take the time to find me and tell me over the phone or in person. If it's in a message, I'll get to it when I can/feel like it and not a minute before and the sender can patiently wait for me to do so. This is how it worked before cell phone became surgically attached to everybody and we made out just fine.

9. Ruby Dragon

Ruby Dragon Well-Known Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I personally prefer text conversations over phone calls, because I hate the pressure that's put on me to respond instantly when on the phone with someone. I'm a very socially awkward/anxious person, so whenever my phone rings, I become instantly nervous, and don't want anyone to hear the conversation, no matter what it was about. When texting, it's a bit more private. I hate when I text someone and they take (what seems like) forever to read it, and even longer to reply. I mean, it's called instant messaging for a reason, not so? Still, I prefer texts over phone calls, unless it's something super important that I need an instant answer on, etc.

10. faustian1

It seems that many people who text to the point of avoiding verbal conversations are uncomfortable with the demands of actually talking to someone. In the process they give up all of the benefits verbal communications offer, because verbal communications come with many nonverbal cues that texts don't.

Of course just because Wall Street ordains we have tracking devices in our pockets doesn't rationalize the abandonment of manners and courtesies. The best illustration of how this works that I can think of is the automobile. In the U.S., some people who feel compelled to be polite one-on-one or in real time get into their cars and act aggressively, rude, or even engage in road rage behaviors. Sitting in a metal can can do all that. And hiding behind an electronic cloak has a similar effect in some people. A person who will ghost out on a text conversation most likely never would turn around and walk away without notice in a 3D conversation.

And so it is that we let somebody's moneymaking invention take away another fraction of our humanity.

11. Quem

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I see text messages exactly the same way. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: I try to say "I will reply later" to people, but I forget to do that occasionally. Actually, I also tend to send long text messages, so I don't expect a quick reply to that at all. People have other things to do as well. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

12. RainbowGreen

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I hate both, but I really hate phone calls.

No matter what, calling on the phone makes me anxious, except if I'm calling my own parents. If I'm calling to get information on something, I'll often prefer to go there in person, even if I waste time. I also push calls to the last minute. I don't really know why the phone scares me so much, to be honest.

Plain old texting, it's more because I suck at it. It takes me forever to type what I want and I also feel the need to correct any mistakes I make (I tend to forget to write words).

On Skype or Facebook, it's not that bad. I just leave a message when I feel like it and wait for the person to respond. Usually, it takes either minutes or hours, rarely days.

I still prefer plain old face to face communication because I feel like it's easier to know someone better.

13. Opheliac

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    When I'm free I will usually reply to texts immediately but on a work day I literally don't do it till I'm home. It messes with my focus if I'm trying to concentrate on something.

As for talking on the phone, I've never liked it.

14. Jolly Hermione

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Texts:
    My communications with my best friend mostly happen over text (since we don't even live in the same country).
    I actually never had any problems with her. She always tells me that she needs to go, or that her betteries are low etc.

But somethings I have the same problems, people see the text and don't respond and you're asking yourself what happenend...

Phone:
    I love talking on the phone. However, I have to admit that when I was younger I hated it so much.
    Then I started working in a company - sarcastically - as a secretary (which included picking up the phone). I had to learn it the hard way and now it's working just fine ^^

I would say: practise is the best way to learn it ^^

15. Davej

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    i hate texting sms and making phone calls. just hang out on chat app (Allo, Facebook,...) and make a video call. I don't knw why but i hate incoming call and sms alert a lot.