1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Locker Room talk

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Asking, Nov 5, 2016.

1. Asking

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hi, I know no one wants to talk about the election (or as John Oliver calls it, the shit-filled cornucopia that keeps on giving, 2016), and neither do I, but is what Donald trump was doing actually standard locker room talk? Sorry, some people say yes, some say no, I just want to know. Thanks, and sorry again!

2. kibou97

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    With my personal experiences, not really. I'm not saying what he said in that video was good in any way, just that back when I had gym in high school, even guys who were friends would sometimes joke with each other only not near as vulgar but for the most part, people just changed what they needed to and got out as fast as possible. Even at a locker room in a gym, most guys just stay silent and take care of their own business.

#2 kibou97, Nov 5, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2016
  3. Asking

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    A few people
    AThanks. That's pretty reassuring actually.

4. AKTodd

Not in my experience - no.

Back in college, I did martial arts for a time and later did weights and so was in locker rooms a fair number of times per week. Guys either didn't talk to each other or, if they did, talked about the workout they had just completed, things they had to do, classes, etc.

In later years, at various times in my life, I've been in groups of guys and there has been what might be termed 'locker room talk', but it was nothing as sustained or as...directed...as Trump engaged in.

To provide examples - a guy in the group might say something that implied (or flat out stated) that he liked sex or was good in bed. Someone else might respond along the lines of 'that's what all the bathroom walls tell us' or the like.

Or a guy might say something about sex, someone else might call him a slut, and he would respond along the lines of 'you say that like it's a bad thing'.

On occasion there might be something along the lines of 'I saw a guy jogging the other day wearing just nylon shorts, shoes, and that's it. Let's just say all that exercise was really doing the job!'

The closest I've ever seen to anything like what was on the recording would either be a guy in the group giving everyone else a heads up that a really hot guy was approaching (whereupon he would probably be checked out - but not openly) or some commentary among ourselves after he passed out of earshot. There was also a joke going around for a while about the difference between a straight man and a bisexual man - about two beers.

Note that in all cases, this was a sort of quick back and forth among members of the group and the conversation virtually always went/goes elsewhere after that.

I've never encountered a sustained...monologue about someone's attempts to seduce a married guy, or someone in a committed relationship, nor have I ever heard anyone actually discuss their ability to force a guy (of whatever orientation) to make out/have sex with them. If I found myself in that situation, I would consider it creepy and not want to hang out with that person anymore and I'm confident that the people I do hang out with would feel the same way.

My 2c worth,

Todd

5. JonSomebody

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    In my lifetime...I honestly have never heard of a presidential nominee displaying or better yet...saying the things that have came out of his mouth and then wanting to represent our country as President. What really bothers me is the fact that his temperament is really bad and not qualified to be a President of the United States. If someone says or do something that he does not agree on...instead of handling the situation in an intelligent manner...he acts like a child on a rampage with all the name calling that he has done towards women, race and etc. He needs to keep his focus on Celebrity Apprentice where he can act that way since its a reality show.

6. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Middle/high school locker room talk, maybe. But among grown men with enough integrity to deserve the presidency? Never.

#6 Argentwing, Nov 5, 2016
  7. Linkmaste

I've heard some pretty vulgar stuff working in the steel mill with men (I mean effing men that hate a Lotta things) and I havn't picked up anything close to Trump. The worst thing I caught was a hot girl walking by from another company and the guys doing a fist bump whIle I had the pleasure of giving her a tour. Honestly? I can't imagine some guys in the shower together potentially naked wanting to talk about grabbing females by the nether regions. I'd just showed up and get out no eye contact.

#7 Linkmaste, Nov 5, 2016
  8. pinkpanther

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Not really. I've heard some talks from young guys in their early twenties or late teens about how this or that girl was super hot and they'd like to take her out or bang her. I've even heard a few guys bragging about their sexual exploits, like how they hooked up with a really hot chick at the club, etc. But overall it's the same talk you'd hear in the pub, nothing out of the ordinary. Older guys, above the age of ~27 tend to be very down to business, they go to the gym to stay fit, not to make friends or chat about their wives or long-term girlfriends.

The vast majority of guys tend to keep to themselves or they talk about something completely unrelated, like plans for the weekend, or how are things at work, etc. It's already awkward to be in a locker room, so most guys tend to do their thing without raising too much attention to themselves.

There are some who like raising attention to themselves because they're ripped or stunningly hot and they know it. They tend to show off without words. It's like they'll take a longish shower, maybe go to the sauna, dry their hair with a towel then they'll go butt naked to the blowdryers to finish drying it, and so on. It's more like a visual show rather than an auditory experience.:icon_bigg

I've never heard anyone bragging about how they start kissing girls or grabbing them by the pussy without permission. Sometimes the opposite is true, they'll complain that the girl didn't let them be more touchy-feely with her.

9. SHIELDAgentAlex

Nope. People in high school lockers--guys, at least--just try to change quickly and not look at each other, cos only queers look at other guys who're changing. We might bring up relationships, but no-one will actually say that he likes to grab women by the pussy--except for recently, and even then only because Trump said it was "locker-room talk".

10. SillyGoose

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Blatant sexism that no school should allow in their locker rooms..

11. sldanlm

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've heard far worse than what Trump said from women, although not in a locker room. (including grabbing guys butts or crotch or bragging about sleeping with married men) That's not to excuse what Trump did, or Bill Clinton, because something wrong is still wrong even if other people do it and get away with it.

12. KarenLyn

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've heard some pretty raunchy things from guy friends over the years but to 'brag' about sexual assault... no way! If this child becomes president look to have our rights turned back the stone age and possibly worse. His band of followers have been fueled up and are very very dangerous. Be careful out there. I fear on November 9th we could see some very bad things happen. Stay safe!

13. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think it's a metaphor.

14. Libertino

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I can only really speak for my friends, and none of my friends are wealthy celebrities, which does add a different dynamic. That said, most of my friends are straight guys and none of them are shy in talking about attractive women. I've heard them casually refer to women as "bitches". "So I was talking to this one bitch...", etc. I've heard them talk about how nice her tits were and how nice her ass was and how this one girl was a bit too pudgy, etc. Objectifying talk, certainly. But I've never heard anyone say anything that hinted at assault (as Trump did). Never heard anyone admit to grabbing girls in any way. So that's all I can offer from my own personal experience.

15. sldanlm

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Among the straight women I've overheard talking about grabbing some guys butt or crotch, there seems to be a double standard. If someone grabbed them without permission, they would consider it sexual assault, and they would be right. Some of them however have done the same thing to guys, but they don't think of what they did in the same way. Their thought process is that all straight guys want to be grabbed by women.

16. Jakob

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    "Locker room talk" is a metaphor. It doesn't literally mean what is said in a locker room. Essentially what it is is vulgar and offensive humour said between friends that should only be taken as a joke.

I know I've said things that I obviously didn't mean for humour's sake, that would get the wrong person offended if I meant it wholeheartedly.

Of course not everyone is like this, ostensibly, no one is about anything, but it's clear to me that Donald Trump was just saying it as a joke, nothing more.