1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Is anybody else tired of being a millennial?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by RedEyeFlash, Nov 10, 2016.

1. RedEyeFlash

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Soo yeah.. As fun as it is watching everybody my age have no social skills and social anxiety because they text all the time and can't have a conversation anymore. And as much as I SOO enjoy listening to everybody getting offended at literally everything and needing "safe spaces" because words with no intention behind them still manage to hurt their damn feelings. And as much as I enjoy trying to explain to everybody what everybody's problem is and having them not hear you because they're too busy staring at their cell phone like a retard leaving you to converse with the top of their head. And as fun as it is hearing somebody in their 20s say that they "need" a brand new car and a $500 cellphone and a $1000 TV and labeled clothes and trips around the world then cry because they're in debt and broke. I CAN'T EVEN!!! Please somebody please ANYBODY tell me that I'm not the only one that just tired of it all. Cause It annoys the shit outta me. Social media and cell phones have made everybody so attention needy and entitles and inconvenience intolerant and socially awkward and inconsiderate where they should be considerate and considerate where they really need to calm their shit and mind their own business and SO HELP ME JEBUS IF I SEE 1 MORE SELFIE!!! Am I the only one on this planet that remembers when taking a million pictures of yourself made you a loser? Seriously am I alone here?

2. DAFriend

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You are not alone. Honestly, all of this politically correct, special snowflake garbage can go in the garbage as far as I'm concerned.

Sure I use social media, it is an inexpensive way to keep in touch with overseas friends but, I get flames a lot there for not being a pc snowflake and speaking my mind, or just using not pc language.

Too bad, I'm not going to be one of those "proper" people. Not everyone is a special snowflake, but yeah there is too much of that going on now.

We have a whole generation that doesn't even know what life without cell phones and computers is like and, could not handle even 24 hours without at least one or the other. Used to be such things were luxuries but now, a whole generation thinks they are required for survival.

They don't know how to socialize face to face and think it's just fine to text, check FB or Twitter, or messages during dinner or, mid conversation with you.

For me no cell phone and a 200.00 20 year old VW Bug was great as a teen. I wanted to socialize, I went somewhere to do so, not on a screen. That is getting to be a lost art and I wish it would change.

3. ConnectedToWall

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I think you guys need to remember how amazing it is to be a millennial. While our parents in generation x had to shift through thousands of records in the library to get a research project done, we can just use search engines online.
    We have safe spaces, and trigger warnings, because we are attempting to live in a society where people have a higher level of empathy and sensitivity to others emotions.
    This society includes more rights for LGBTQ+ people (in case you forget, there is marriage equality now) and (well if Hillary had been elected) more rights for women and other minority groups.
    Instead of fearing and hating the way things are, look to the positives, because every generation had its setbacks.

4. Gunsmoke

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I agree with this - yes, there are some people who take the whole "safe space" thing too far. There are always going to be people who take it too far.

But you're acting like people go around engrossed in their phones and that simply isn't true. Every generation, there's a crisis like this - I've studied history, and teenager crises have existed since the 1960s. There is nothing uniquely bad about being a millenial.

---------- Post added 10th Nov 2016 at 05:18 PM ----------

The people we call "Baby Boomers" now were teenagers too, once, and you can bet that people acted as negatively about their teenage behaviour as they do about ours. Millenials are far from the first generation to be seen as screw-ups.

5. DAFriend

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not saying it's all bad, but I don't see how you learn to deal with reality if every time something upsets you, you just claim "triggered" and the world stops so you can go to a safe space.

I grew up in an ultra religious, abusive home so yeah, things used to trigger me but, i learned to deal, to move on, get over it. Now if you don't want to be a pariah, you have to sugar coat and pussy foot so much you can't even carry one a decent conversation about anything that might be difficult, offensive or, just not agreeable to people.

There is a difference between having empathy and sugar coating the truth and, the sugar coating, not calling it as you see it has got to go. We can't solve problems we can't talk about and, we can't talk about them because doing so might trigger someone.

6. faustian1

:roflmao: Yeah, seriously I know it's tough sometimes to be a millennial, but have you noticed how hopelessly effed-up us boomers are?

7. Gunsmoke

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yeah, I agree - I think that there should be safe spaces for some things, though. Like, I don't think that frightened LGBTQ+ youth should be forced to deal with homophobia. I don't think that Muslims should have to listen to radical right-wingers harassing them and saying they should be deported. I don't think that young lesbian/bi/pan women like myself should be threatened with corrective rape. I think there should be spaces free from all of that, and if we can't make the world one yet, then we should have little places in the meantime.

But yes, some of the SJW stuff is, to be frank, f**king ridiculous and/or completely regressive and needs to be stopped right now.

8. RedEyeFlash

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    A. Searching around the library meant you were putting more effort and pride into your work. That's headed out the window in more ways than one.

B. Safe Spaces and Trigger Warnings are not making the world any more sensitive to other's. What would make the world more sensitive is for everybody to quit having conversations with the top of each other's heads between texts and Facebook posts. These safe spaces do nothing for the world. They make that particular space a more sensitive environment so people can go to these safe spaces and hide. Then wonder why they don't know how to deal with the world when they have to go out and deal with ACTUAL people. Safe Spaces are just a short term solution making the long term problem worse. How are you supposed to overcome hate and intolerance if you're learning to hide from it all

C. Marriage equality was on it's way here LONG before the internet and the cell phone and "Safe Places." If you look at the 70s through the 90s You can literally see the progression before any of these were even a thought. The internet and the cell phones and safe spaces didn't do that. PEOPLE who were sick and tired and made strong by all of these things were able to rise above them did that. And I'm sorry but our generation has no idea about any of that.

9. Sen1234

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I hate having to constantly feel the need to have my phone on me because I think that I'll miss an important txt or notification. Its mentally draining.

10. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Yes I'll explain why later.

11. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It must be tiresome to be a beacon of enlightenment above a sea of spoiled techno-zombies.

I think you really just need to relax. Those are all vicious stereotypes that are no more true than any other claim about a group of people who can share as little as a birthday within a decade of each other.

Before phones and tablets, people engrossed themselves in newspapers. I have an $80 phone (with which I never take selfies), a used car, and I cry about being broke because I can't afford a trip around the world, or even to the place where I wish to get a better job. (literally cannot make it to a job interview because it's too far away to do in a day and my current job is in a blackout period for requesting off. I'd have to risk being fired in order to have a chance at the new one.)

And as far as having things like research too easy, are you insane? Having an easier life means we can accomplish more and get better enjoyment out of our short time on this rock hurtling through space. I still tremendously appreciate food despite not having to hunt an animal with a spear, only to have an older tribesman tell me how cheap a kill it was since I didn't strangle it with my bare hands.

I forgive you your rant because we may never know what goes on in another person's life to cause them pain. Millennials, by and large, recognize this, and it's one reason I have tremendous faith in our age group.

#11 Argentwing, Nov 10, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2016
  12. Gengars

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Or perhaps you can all get off of your high-horses and come back down to Earth with the rest of us. Literally every new generation that has ever come about and will exist in the future will be like this. A new advancement will come about that the older generation will scoff about, remembering a time when they lived without said technology. For the boomers, it was television. For millennials, it was computers. And for Gen Z, it's access to smart devices and wireless internet.

Also it's kind of hypocritical to condemn the "special snowflake" and "safe space" attitudes of millenials when it can be argued (and i'm not saying this is true) that the LGBT community itself is both.

#12 Gengars, Nov 10, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 10, 2016
  13. Libertino

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Reducing an entire generation to the "internet, cell phones, and safe spaces" is a new one for the ages, of that I'm sure.

Moaning about the current young generation's decline and inferiority against others is, as I'm sure you know, a timeless feature of humanity. Now, obviously there are important differences between this generation and others, viz. the technology that we have access to and were raised with, and I will admit that there are some social trends that I see in others of my generation that I cannot connect or relate to, but that said, many young generations have been idealistically liberal--in some ways, this behavior is more a result of youth than a unique result of having been born in the 90s--and younger people are often more willing to quickly adopt an accept the new technology and societal advancements.

Young people often desire more than they can afford or more than they will have, but part of being young is being a dreamer--before the weight of the world is sufficient enough to put those dreams to rest. And young people also often are very certain that they know all there is to know, but will of course realize as they age that one's body of knowledge is always expanding and refining and one's frame of mind is in constant flux. Our generation is dealing with increased exposure to the world's events and the voices of many other people (more so than ever before, due to the connection that the internet provides). Although "SJW" is extremely stereotypical, and not something that I would immediately equate with Generation Y, it may be a symptom of this increased exposure and a desire to sort it all out in the most fair, idealistic way (while often backfiring majorly in practice).

In other words: there is much of this that I do not see as specific to Generation Y, and much of this that I see as reductionist and overly reliant on stereotypes. But I've accepted my position in the zeitgeist even if I'm not always in harmony with it.

14. AlamoCity

While I respect everyone's right to self-identify, especially on matters of sex and gender, I do find it a bit ironic when people here claim that millennials are all too much into being special snowflakes when they themselves fail to abide by the gender binary. I am a bit more traditional and tend to see gender a bit more black-and-white, male and female, but I understand that's my view and sexuality could be more complicated, less rigid for others, and increasing labels tends to help others find a better fit. It's as if the world had two pairs of pant sizes 30 and 40 and most fit into those but making 32, 34, 36, 38 would make all the difference for those that don't fit into '30' or '40' and helps them fit in better, in a world satisfied by thirties and forties.

To further conflate the issue more, we have two different issues coming into play at the same time: a cohort bound by technology and all the trappings and whatever you wanna throw at millennials AND coming of age/early adulthood (in a world that's evolving and that faces economic uncertainty). The growing pains of developing (in any era) tends to produce societal pains and groans. Further, if you look at many of the revolutionary and incendiary eras, you find many had a large population of young people with no jobs or prospects or ability to craft an identity. Stagnation of real wages (not nominal) puts increased pressure on millennials and leads to stress that might just be temporarily fixed by an IPA :lol:.

15. Gay Deputy

I am fearful for those who feel the need for these "safe spaces" especially while in a collegiate zone. There are no "safe spaces" in the real world and it's a big scary place. In a way, this is teaching people to run away from rather than confront things they may not agree with or understand. This won't work out here. College is supposed to ready people for the real world. It's not PC out here, there are people who don't agree with you out here, there are people who despise you out here, there are people who will always have more than you out here, there are people who will get ahead of you who haven't earned it out here...it's rough out here. I think more emphasize should be placed on teaching people to talk differences out, learn from others before judging, embrace each other's differences, and acceptance of all no matter how they feel.

Freedom of speech is just that. EVERYONE has the right...whether you agree or not...whether you like the way it was said or not. We are PC'ing ourselves to death. I do not have the right to not be offended. I cannot press charges against someone for offending me. It's almost to the point of ridiculousness. If you don't like it, walk away, healthily debate it, ignore it, attempt to teach them, turn the channel, block the channel, whatever you gotta do, but don't attempt to limit their speech cause you got butt hurt.

This isn't a generalization of everyone considered a "millennial." This actually reaches across multiple generations.

16. Opheliac

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    All but family
    This is exactly what I was thinking while reading this entire thread :|

17. Totesgaybrah

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I cant wait to grow up and become a boomer.

18. DAFriend

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Exactly Gay Deputy, we are teaching whole generations how NOT to deal with upsetting, scary, triggering situations and events and, how NOT to speak up if what needs said even might upset, offend or trigger someone else.

It's ridiculous, can't call anyone a mailman, waitress, salesman, mexican, black, indian, etc... Oh no, it's xxx-person, person of color, person of xxx-decent.

Get over it. I will never stop calling myself a queer halfbreed or a fag hag - and yes pc/snowflake would be Mixed racial heritage LGBT person of apparent female gender who has many LGBT friends of apparent male gender. PLEASE!

Can't even tell a gay or blond joke, for example, even in a private office to another gay or blond person when you are one yourself - you get fired for that because sissy poo over there might be offended had they even heard it, which they did not.

I'm sick of it, time to say what we mean, the way we want to say it and, time for people to grow up and grow a skin already. Deal with it - the world is a hard, hard, triggering, scary place. You won't survive it by hiding from it or pretending it's all hunky dory.

19. Gay Deputy

Agreed

20. AwesomGaytheist

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm tired of the stereotypes that come with being a millennial.