1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Just have to share - (Feral) Cat lovers unite

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Ruby Dragon, Nov 15, 2016.

1. Ruby Dragon

Ruby Dragon Well-Known Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    For about 6 months now, I've been feeding the feral cats at work. They gradually became more tame, and one of them (a long-haired brown/black female) let me pet her whilst she eats. But she was sadly run over by a car. I was heartbroken. Her black smooth-haired male friend remained, but I have to be sneaky when I touch him, as he's not tame, and jumps whenever I touch him. He sits and waits for me to bring him food in the mornings, and calls for me when I'm taking too long. He disappeared for a week, and I thought maybe he was also run over by a car. However, he made his appearance on Monday, and even though I still can't really pet him, something amazing happened a few minutes ago...

After giving him food earlier, I went back outside and checked to see if he ate all of his food. Then he came running up to me. I then turned to go back inside, and he followed me. My office is on the first floor, and usually he only follows me to just outside the door of the building. However, today he followed me all the way into my office. He was very nervous but he jumped onto one of the chairs, but when I moved my chair, he jumped off and went back outside. I'm just super thrilled that he trusts me this much, even though I can't pet him yet. I think I'm making great progress.

I've rescued two feral cats from work and one that was dumped by someone, but they all had feline leukaemia, and had to be euthanized about a year later. I'm not looking to rescue more cats, because the pain is just too much when they pass on. But it would be nice to have feline company at work, in my office. It'll take a while for him to trust the other people, as the office can get quite busy in the mornings and afternoons when the people come to sign the attendance registers. But all will happen in good time. I'm just super psyched. I never imagined this would happen so soon. I'm definitely doing something right :grin: (!) Just had to share =^..^=

2. AlamoCity

I actually wasn't into cats (I prefer dogs) but at an apartment complex where I sometimes go to for work there was an orange tabby that would roam the property. He acted in a very genteel and finicky manner that showed he wasn't a "feral cat." An elderly couple there were his feeders but were moving away and so I said I would take him home because he hated being in the rain and no other resident would allow him inside (they would let the cat in when it rained or was cold). He was more of a cat someone abandoned because, while temperamental, did not exhibit other "feral" qualities. After many days of gaining his trust (feeding him and positive reinforcement) I took him home in my truck. He was a bit nervous but soon acclimated and loved it. I named him Sonoma (after Williams-Sonoma :lol:slight_smile:.

Attached Files:

3. Austin

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When I was about 11-12 I was with my family visiting my grandpa in a small town in Ohio. I met this stray little black and white kitten -- "Spotsy" -- and every morning it would wait for me on the porch and I would just sit there and let it nap in my lap. It was so sweet I got so attached! I was a bit spoiled as a kid (maybe I still am) and I begged my parents to take it home. There's a chance I could have gotten my way.... But, it disappeared a few days before we left and I was heartbroken! :frowning2: Searched everywhere. I think I even got my dad to drive around with me. I think one passer-byer expressed interest in adopting it, so I hope maybe it found a home. But, I worry maybe something happened to it. I still have old pics. :slight_smile: wonder if they are in a convenient location hmm

4. Ruby Dragon

Ruby Dragon Well-Known Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Aaaaw!!! He's gorgeous!

The grey cat sitting by the food bowl is the stumpy-tail female; the grey long-haired one is the one that I was able to pet that got run over; and the other pics need no description.

The ginger male is also becoming a bit more daring, coming closer to me than before, but he's quite feral still. The stumpy-tail female is also very feral. They don't display aggression, but they do display fear. But in time they will see that I mean them no harm. Like I said, I'm not looking to take any of these cats home with me, but it's nice to know I'm making a difference in their lives (aka spoiling them)

Attached Files:

#4 Ruby Dragon, Nov 16, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 16, 2016