1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mommy, Where do gay people come from?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Jtonka1, Apr 1, 2009.

1. Jtonka1

Okay, pardon the title......I was trying to be clever....

I was wondering everyones thoughts on where homosexuality comes from i.e. Genetics, choice, if your born with it or not, event the horrible idea of mental illness.

2. Greggers

I believe Homosexuality comes from Cher.

3. Jtonka1

LOL OMG.....everyone is asleep at my place and i just broke out laughing and woke my nefew up! I BLAME YOU!

4. davo-man

Zeus and Thor had a little hubba hubba one day and a rainbow was born. When gay babies are born, we slide down the rainbow collecting all the gay we need. Then Cher straddles a navy boat's cannon, shoots gay holy water at us, and the birth is complete

Or it may have to do with genetics :grin:

5. Colly

I totally agree with the Cher idea.
    My Idol. My Queen. God.

But on a different note. People seem to think anything from genetics to upbringing. But I have recently heard about a theory of birth order, with every male child a couple has, the chances that he is gay goes up by 33% with every male born.

6. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Its genetic/biological.

7. Mestiz0

I say you're born with it...

I REALLY like the Zeus and Thor birthed a rainbow though!! :grin:

8. Greggers

:eusa_clap

9. Meropspusillus

Combo breaker?

10. Mickey

Okay....but what about the lesbians. I believe in generics,for us all. But I wonder ,too about the birth order thing. Hmmmm.......

11. Just Adam

im just me and im not normal im proud of that :grin: but beeing gay is just how you are it can be gentic you have to have the abbility to love a guy but i suppose you need envirnmental help to be able to realize that love and express it

12. Alice Insanity

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh man how stupid can you people be
    I mean come on
    Everyone knows that gay babies come from awkward silences
    DUH!!!

#12 Alice Insanity, Apr 1, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2009
  13. MusicIsLife

xD I love this thread.

Besides, everyone knows that lesbian babies are the result of exposing the mother to unnaturally high levels of folk music and the Ellen degeneres show >.>

14. silentsound

Two words: Sailor Moon.

But more seriously, I know it's not a choice and I think it is something you're born with not that's created by your environment. But truthfully, I guess I don't really care. All of the searching for "what makes people gay" just serves to alienate gays as something different or a problem to be solved.

15. SirBoobalot

I used to think it was because I used to stay up all night watching tv shows which were interspersed with pictures of BOOBIES. Then I realised I liked girls when I was eight years old.

Anyway, you know they say pregnant mums shouldn't eat strawberries? Well... mine did.

(In seriousness, I don't know what causes it, but it's hardwired into our brains. Genetics, womb conditions, very early infancy, dunno. But you can't change it and you should never, ever try.)

16. Nugget

Oooh... I love strawberries.

I was born in Florida... and my mom ate strawberries down there because they were easy to get.

And then there's the large amount of gay people in Florida...

OMG! I think you're on to something here! YES! It makes sense! Spaghetti makes twins, and strawberries make gay people!! :grin:

17. starfish

I know just enough about biology to be dangerous.

I am a proponent of the theory that sexuality is determined by hormone levels during fetal development.

My reasons for this is that overall the human genome is fairly generic and just a couple of small changes determine who we are. For example the Y chromosome provides very little genetic material. Its main purpose is to flip the switch to male. Even then everyone starts out as a female. I believe that it is about the end of the first trimester that fetus will become male and start growing the appropriate bits.

In females there is correlation between non-sexual traits that are known to hormone controlled and sexuality. In males there is a correct between events that cause hormone difference and sexuality.

So when our brains are formed at some point the bits are set for our orientation. I think these are determined by a combination of hormone levels and chromosomes.

There are still a lot of LGBT folks that have biological children and I would like to see if there is a correlation between the parents and child sexual orientation. My hypothesis is that the correlation would not be statistically significant.

Of course the reason for the variance in hormone levels could be environmental or genetic. So genetics may be indirectly responsible.

You know what would be nice is if there was a way to simulate the development of a human with a computer. If we had an biological indicator for homosexuality, a few Monte Carlo simulations would give significant insight as to the cause. Man that would be an awesome research project.

18. I agree with the prenatal hormone thing. I do NOT think it's genetic. Because just based on natural selection, it's not a gene that would help us be better suited to survive thus it would have been evolved away. And it hasn't been, so it has to be something else, i.e. hormones. Although, personally I think I turned gay because I always liked girls when I was younger so something happened along the way.

19. starfish

I have heard of research that suggests a genetic mutation that causes homosexuality in males, causes promiscuity in females. Now that is a trait that natural selection would promote. Though it does not explain homosexuality in females.

You know if the resources were available it would be great to sequence the genome of say several hundred straight and gay folks. If we picked people of similar genetic background it should be apparent if there any common genetic differences. Basically we could do proof by contrapositive. Instead of trying to show that it is caused by genetics, lets try to show that it is not caused by genetics.

Hormonal testing would be very difficult for obvious ethical and moral reasons.

This is one thing that annoys me. We have the technology and knowledge to answer this and many other questions, but we won't contribute the resources.

20. Jtonka1

Well, the horomone idea is very interesting but I'm not at all comepletly sure although I hope it's not genetic because if it was you know they would isolate that gene and soon we have a genocide on our hands.