1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Writing

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Qwertuvle, Nov 28, 2016.

1. Qwertuvle

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So I've been trying to write for some time, as it seems to be the only thing I've shown any skill in. But whenever I go to write I end up getting nothing done. It's not like I don't have any ideas, I just can't seem to get myself to write anything.

If anyone has an experience on the subject, I'd like some advice...

2. Deinna

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I have this problem all the time! I have been writing a fanfiction, but now with this chapter, I just can't get forward with it.
    I also have an original story to write, but I haven't started that yet. I've just been designing and planning the characters and the plot, but sadly no writing yet. I'm waiting for that inspiration to write again.

3. ThatBorussenGuy

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    This might end up being useless advice, but I know when I sit down to write, if I'm actively trying to write, nothing will come of it. I don't know if it's that you're trying to force it when you sit down to write, but if you are, don't. Trying to force yourself to write is the easiest way to murder the everloving shit out of any motivation you might have. If you've got an idea you're genuinely excited about, you won't have to try to write; you'll just write.

Again, not sure if this advice is helpful or not, but it's what I've got. :astonished:

4. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
  5. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    When you go to write, do you feel inspired (like an idea already in mind for what you want to do) or are you forcing yourselfyourself to write something? Are there things distracting you?

Darious Britt on YouTube made a video on how to overcome writers block and it's fantastic. I could help you out!

6. SabreBear

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have this issue a lot as well. I think one of the most important things with writing is going in with a clear mind, and an understanding of what you want to do.

I would never claim that abstract writing methods are bad, some of your best thoughts can come from pure abstract moments in life. These moments, and the writing that follows shouldn't be used as your primary writing directive. If anything these times should be used to form a foundation. My English teacher used to make us go to class, and the first five minutes we'd have to write something random - abstract, to open our minds for when the actual writing took place.

When it comes to actually sitting down and working on what you want, it's good to have some kind of physical brainstorming period. Jot-notes, thought-webs, whatever works for you. One of the biggest challenges for me was focusing on a topic and sticking with it. I blame that on my inattention and ADHD, but nonetheless it was something that I had to overcome if I wanted to get something done. I used to think I could keep everything mentally in terms of brainstorming, but that didn't work, and interesting concept got mangled to the point where they were unusable.

Also; don't try and write perfect. Nit-picking can be a dangerous thing when writing, as it leads to second guessing yourself and your ideas. Change things if you need, but it's more important to push on ahead. Leave the rest for later, when you can afford to sit back and edit your work.

The most important thing though? Write for yourself. It may sound silly, but don't write for other people. Don't write with the thought, "how would someone else feel about what I'm writing?" Write with the thought, "how do I feel reading this?"

Some people would say that you should always take other peoples opinions into account when you're writing. I call BS on that though. We writers can afford to be selfish, and there is no shame in that.

I hope you manage to overcome your issues!

7. Creativemind

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you want to make a story, it helps to make a roughdraft first. It can be messy, or even scripted, and you can change ideas later. I wouldn't recommend trying to write without having a script to follow.

8. Qwertuvle

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think this'll help me a lot...
    Thanks everyone!

9. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you're on tumblr, there's a blog called writing prompts (I think) and every day they post a picture or concept and challenge you to write something based on that. It can help to get the creative juices flowing if you feel stuck with getting into the spirit of writing.

10. Argentwing

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I hate quoting Edison, but at least one can be paraphrased to great effect. "Writing (like inventing) is 1% inspiration and 99% perspiration."

I battle with this right now. I've got all the inspiration I need, but am feeling too brain-dead to form the ideas into a cohesive expression. To do it takes sheer force of will. If you can do that, you're there.

#10 Argentwing, Nov 29, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 29, 2016
  11. Ruby Dragon

Ruby Dragon Well-Known Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I write poetry, and have also experienced writer's block. The motivation to write is there, but the words just don't seem to flow. I currently started writing a poem, but only finished one phrase of the poem. I have so many ideas but they just don't seem to fit in with the general "feel" I'm looking to bring across. The barely started poem has been sitting there for about 4-5 days now. I don't want to force it. I used to force myself to finish a poem I've started that same day, but lately I don't mind if it takes a few days to get it going or to finish it. Sometimes I intend on writing a short poem, which then turns out to be a long poem, because the ideas just won't stop. Then I get writer's block days and am left feeling frustrated. My advice is to just relax. I know the urge to write, and know the frustration with not being able to find the right words. It happens to the best of us. The creative juices will flow at its own time, just be patient with yourself. Think of it this way: The longer you struggle with finding the right words, the better you'd feel about the finished product, and the more you'd appreciate your hard work :grin: Hang in there (*hug*)