1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Have you ever gotten any really bad shifts at your work?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Ameryllis, Nov 28, 2016.

1. Ameryllis

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm a little bummed about discovering that I have to work Christmas Eve, Boxing Day, New Year's Eve, and New Year's Day.

At McDonald's.:tears:

2. AlamoCity

I get al federal holidays off, but the day after is hell because work piles up when there's a 4-day week.

I work for a funera home.

3. Skaros

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    New Year's Day. I had to miss out on the Christmas gift exchange with my friends...

4. Linkmaste

Sixteen hours on new years eve. Outside. In minus 20 weather. Chasing a naked drunk man down a road trying to jerk off.

Another 20 hour shift I'm stuck directing traffic and I have never had canada day off for six years.

But that time and a half is good.

5. Xochipilli

Sorry. I feel you. :frowning2:
    I had to put up with a shitty work schedule like that for several years. Not fun. We were understaffed so overtime was mandatory and that meant back to back 12 and 16 hour shifts. I almost quit my first year, but had just financed a new car so I didn't. :lol: :bang: :dead:

6. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've often worked until 10.30pm on Christmas Eve and I can't remember the last New Year I had off work. I've been lucky in avoiding Christmas Day and Boxing Day working for a few years, but the tide will turn eventually, I'm sure.

7. Jolly Hermione

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Two years ago my birthday was on a Saturday, so I assumed I was free and had it all planned, when my boss came and told me that I might have to work that day.

Allright, so I canceled all my ideas. But I hated him for that. Because I got 20. My boss always told me how important his 20th birthday was to him, so I kinda assumed he would understand that it could mean a lot to others...

Well then. I asked him four days before my birthday if he knew now, if I had to work or not. He said he wouldn't know. Allright, I mean, he already told me I had to work then, so I was okay with it.
    Friday evening he told me I didn't have to work. All my plans were cancelled, everyone had different plans... Yeah. Let's say, it wasn't such a nice birthday xD

8. Joelouis

Yes, but think of all the extra wages at the end of the month! Woohoo!!

9. timo

I used to work shifts (customer care hotline so we needed to be available), last year had to work 24 and 31 December, but at least we always were off on bank holidays.

I work in a different position now with more freedom to do my own thing, so this year I'm free from Dec 24 to Jan 2. Awesome. Only thing I'm not looking forward to is the fucking HUGE pile of work that'll be waiting for me when I get back on the 3rd...

10. Andrew99

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I have to work Christmas Eve but were closed Christmas Day and I took off New Years weekend.

11. JAlfred

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I had to work a retail "clopening" shift on Thanksgiving. The night before turkey day I got off work at 11 p.m. and had to be back in at 9 a.m. The fun part was that my coworker that day showed up stoned.

12. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Man, McDonalds was shit for me. I remember one day I came in early for my shift at 9am, and something happened where we were somehow understaffed that day, so instead of leaving at 2-3pm or so, I was there until 8pm--and I only got paid $45 that whole weekend I was working.

13. HM03

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I worked at McDonalds too! Nobody wanted to work Friday or Saturday, and that's when all the drunk people come to order their five big macs. So that always sucked. But the worst was breakfast shift with the super bitchy manager :lol:

14. backdrop

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone

That kinda seems illigal ...

For me , I worked at fedex ground in 2013. I basically got the graveyard shift that goes from 3AM -8AM . Problem is tho that the hours were not guaranteed . I worked about 2 hours per day on 12 an hour ( sometimes one ). I then had to pay a taxi which was 24 dollars so in a way I was losing money x.x .

15. Lulamoon

Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    At Arby's, I seem to always get the crappy closing shifts. When the local high school has football games, we always get really busy all night, and are understaffed because of it. A lot of costumers all ordering a lot of food. I can't make sandwiches that quickly, and my co-workers can't do their jobs either. We're supposed to have everything cleaned up and be out of the store 30-60 minutes after closing, but on football nights, it always takes longer. You'd think we wouldn't have this problem since we have several employees who go to that school...

16. Linkmaste

Understaffed and not competent workers make supervisors like me want to tear their hair out. I don't even have control over the schedule at my site and I hate the operation manager because he always thinks i can work a twelve sleep for four hours and be back for my nine hour shift. Pissed me off.

17. Kidd

Kidd Guest

I work in IT. This is first time in nearly four years that I will have both Christmas and Thanksgiving off, usually I've had to work one or the other, so I feel for everyone that has to work the Holidays this year. It sucks.

18. Gay Deputy

Luckily, I'm fairly senior in my dept so I take the party holidays off. I normally leave the family holidays alone and allow the married officers the chance to take them off. I don't mind a little holiday pay versus regular pay!

19. Bolt35

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    it can't be that bad. I had to work a christmas day one time, and had to haul in a truckful of quad ripple decks (stage decks). took two people to haul them in. they weigh around 200 pounds, 4 width, 8 feet long, per decks. there were at least 30-40 decks. we had to carry them by hand.the route was to go through a small elevator down one floor, go down two flights of stairs and a kitchen to get to the hall.....all so people can have a cocktail party. and yea, we had to go through the same route again to pack it up.
    New Years, we had a bunch of drunks roaming around and getting in our way, to the point where they blocked the truck from getting into the venue.
    in other words, you'll be fine lol, give people their food, and they'll be happy. i get bad shifts sometimes, just got to work through it

#19 Bolt35, Dec 2, 2016
    Last edited: Dec 2, 2016