1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm finally asking for HELP!

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Mickey, Apr 3, 2009.

1. Mickey

Okay,everyone. This is my first time asking for help and I need some encouragement!
    I am quitting smoking COLD TURKEY! Today is my third day without a cigarette. I thought it would get easier. Nope,it's harder today than it was the first day.
    I can't use the patch and have tried a number of other things before,with no success.
    The only thing I'm using right now is lollipops and sheer determination!
    To be honest,I didn't think I could even make it this far,but I have.
    It's getting really hard now and I need you guys for support and maybe some other things I can do to make this easier.I got rid of all my ashtrays,lighters,etc. There's no visual reminders anywhere. And I can only sleep so much! Any ideas? :tantrum::bang:

2. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    You can do it Mickey! Giving up smoking is one of the hardest things to do. Kudos to you for trying!

3. Just Adam

yay kick that nasty habbit :grin:

4. Apocalypte

If it comes to it, can you use Chantix?

5. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Congratulations on getting so far thats amazing, I say try and keep yourself busy, especially your hands, but chatting to everyone one here might help take your mind off it.

6. Sexiross

Sexiross Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I know you can do it... i smoked for 4 years...and i quit last january...and i can breath again when i run!!!! its awsome! you can do it!!!!

7. xequar

You can do it! From what my BF (who's over two months smoke-free now) and others I've talked to have said, the first two weeks are brutal.

BUT, if you make it through those, it gets a lot better!

8. Mickey

Thanks! I knew I could count on the people here,to encourage me! I appreciate it very much!
    I tried Chantix last year and had some real problems with side effects. I did well,at first,then I got migraines,nightmares and some others,so my Dr. told me to stop taking it.
    Right now,I feel really crappy. Tired,lightheaded and kinda miserable.
    I really need to vent,but I'm trying to hold off, 'til I really need it.
    I'm staying in my room and isolating to avoid taking it out on anyone else. ( namely,my mom) It's raining,again,so I just go outside to take the dog out.
    I'm doing okay one minute and want to punch something,the next. Damn mood swings!
    I know I'll be okay,in a few days,I just need help to get through until then! :eusa_doh:

Ps-This is my 3rd time quitting,but my first ,on my own. And I've been smoking like 6 years since the last time I quit. The other times I quit,I was in the hospital for extended times and just didn't smoke when I got out. Once was for 14 months,the other was for 7 months. I kick myself in the ass for ever starting,again!

#8 Mickey, Apr 3, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 3, 2009
  9. silverhalo

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    (*hug*)(*hug*)(&&&)(*hug*)(*hug*)

10. Greggers

Your going to think im a freak...

...but nibble on dry spaghetti when you get urges.

It sounds weird, but i swear by this method for kicking ALL nasty habits. Well i get an impulse or urge, i just grab a piece of dry spaghetti and go to town on it.

11. EM68

What about the gum. I forget the name of it.

12. Mickey

Yea,nicorette. I don't want to put nicotine IN,I want to get it OUT! I got told to drink plenty of water ,it helps to flush it out. I'm doing that.
    I don't want to replace one problem with another. Eventually,I'll have to cut any and all nicotine,so I figured I'd do it right from the beginning. That's why I'm doing it "cold turkey".
    It's just so much worse today! I'm hanging in there. In a few days,I hope to do an ex-smoker thread! Thanks,everyone!

13. MusicIsLife

My mom started exercising a lot when she was quitting smoking. like...when she needed a smoke instead she took the dog on a walk or went on a run or something.

14. Zach

I quit on new years eve about 10 years ago. I had two non-smoking friends that both bet me I couldn't quit for at least one full year. The bet was $100 from each of them if I stayed smoke free. I collected on that bet. (!) My parents, grand parents and everyone in my family all smoked so I was use to the smell and didn't really notice it growing up, and it wasn't until I was out on my own that my friends made that costly new years eve bet, and then once I had quit I realised just how bad that habit litterally stinks. Now I can't stand the smell so I don't think I'll ever start again. If you truly want to quit, just hang in there, it does get better after two or three weeks. :thumbsup:

15. Zingerific

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi Mickey.

You mentioned getting rid of ashtrays and other visual reminders. I think that's a good first step, but you might want to go further. Whenever I want to break a habit, I rearrange the furniture! It may sound odd or frivolous, but I find that a big break with the status quo can sort of "jolt" you out of patterns of behavior. A lot of breaking any habitual behavior is to break the patterns leading up to it.
    Here's what may be a stupid question: why do you smoke? If you smoke, for example, in stressful situations, it may be a good idea to develop more healthy ways to deal with stress; a previous poster mentioned exercise. My point is that a replacement doesn't have to be a bad replacement. I would suggest that once you are past the first couple of weeks, really pay attention to what's going on in your head when you get an urge, and figure out some other (healthy!) way to deal with it.

16. Mickey

I smoke because I'm stupid! I should've never started,again ,once I quit.
    Exercising is okay,but I have major back problems,so I have to keep that at a minimum. I also have COPD and the breathing capacity of an 84 year old! I made myself a friggen mess! I'm trying to regain control of my life and my health. Plus,I've lost 24 lbs. by switching to diet soda and by really watching what I eat. The first time I quit smoking,I also lost 100 lbs.,so I know it can be done! It'll just be somewhat harder, because I have since broken my back and so exercising is hard. I will do it,I just need to get through this damn withdrawal from nicotine.
    Thanks,to all who responded. I knew I could count on The EC family to be there for me!
    I'll keep you updated! And...I may need to vent some more! LOL!

17. EM68

Vent all you want! I know you can quit smoking!!(*hug*)(*hug*)

18. revolutionrock

Sunflower seeds and gum. :slight_smile:

19. Derek the Wolf

(*hug*)
    Chew regular gum. I recommend 5 gum, the red one X3
    Just as a distraction.
    Withdrawal is a bitch, but it's nothing compared to cancer. YOU CAN DO IT.

20. Mickey

Once again,thank you to everybody. Like I said,I knew you'd all be there for me. I appreciate it,more than I can say.I'll keep you all updated.

With love and appreciation,Mickey*