1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone heard of GLAAD?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by europeanguy, Dec 4, 2016.

1. europeanguy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    im sure most people have. question: how on earth did I get on their email list?

if anyone knows id love to know. my college email started getting them and so did my personal email. none of the people i knew in college (i finished last july) get these.

im just wondering because they almost outed me at the college, and the people there are NOT nice people so it would have been used against me in a big way. im just wondering incase i get a work email or something in the future and it happens again to out me. id just rather have some control is all.

2. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey europeanguy,

Did your college also have your personal email address? Perhaps something you did through your college got you on the GLAAD email list.

What about your ex-bf? Did he have both email addresses? Could he have signed up?

For most organizations like that, there should be an unsubscribe link at the bottom of their emails. If you want to get off their list, you should look for that link and unsubscribe from their emails sent to both of your accounts.

I don't know of any way that they would know of a work email (if you got one) unless you provided it to them.

Good luck.:slight_smile:

3. europeanguy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    about that whole "ex-bf" thing.... i didnt exactly say anything....... but thats probably a problem for later haha.

yes my college had my personal email on file. but it was only on my college account. im not sure what id do for this to happen, as i never did anything......gay. on the internet whilst there on the internet, as i knew they were tracking our every moves.

the only thing i can think of is that i regularly get the queerty newsletter sent to my personal email, and i regularly checked this personal email whilst at college. which creeps me out, as that means that either GLAAD or my college were reading my emails if this is the case. another thing i did was when signing up for UCAS it asked my sexuality and i gave it "gay man" as one of the options, but these emails have been recieving GLAAD ones for longer then that.

my bf (who STILL never talks to me, to the point where i cant say anything because he's never there! bastard.) has never been given my personal email and has no way of knowing it.

i got alerted to this because i told my outlook email (which is the college email) to forward all the emails it receives to my personal email. and it has been regularly forwarding GLAAD emails, at the same time as my personal email recieves the email directed towards it (so i get double copies of the newsletter things they send). I would never sign up with my college email for anything, id always use my personal one.

This freaks me out kinda.....it means my college might have known that im gay the entire time and never said anything.

haha we need Richard Castle, Hercule Poirot or Captain Hastings!

4. Quantumreality

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Interesting. The Queerty newletter subscription may very well explain the GLAAD emails to your personal account. A lot of sites share email addresses of their subscribers.

Did the GLAAD emails start at the same time on both accounts or at separate times? It kinda sounds like they got your email addresses from two different sources, since it seems unlikely that they would send you the same emails to two different accounts if they knew that they were both yours and you yourself didn't request them.

Did you unsubscribe from them?

5. europeanguy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Family only
    yeah my college email started getting them later on then my personal one. so i think its clearly two different situations.

my college email has since been deactivated. (but for some reason is still forwarding emails it gets.....the college is completly useless haha). so hopefully no need to, or its possible i cant since i can no longer access that email.