1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Some observations and stances question

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Reptillian, Dec 5, 2016.

1. Reptillian

1- I noticed that there are people who believes arousal = attraction despite multiple studies analysis supporting even male arousal to actual attraction correlated at below 60%. Bogaert provided indicative evidence for libidoist asexuals.

1Q- What is the stances of the LGBTQ on this?

2- I also noticed that there are people here who cannot imagine love being separate from sex. Yet, there's a first study out there that points to two different brain areas close to each other. 2 different areas is the key evidence they are separate. Same area means they are in one.

2Q- Why am I seeing little support for separate romantic and sexual orientation in LGBTQ?

2. Chiroptera

Admin Team Full Member

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Can you link those studies, please?

3. iiimee

I don't speak for the whole LGBT+ community, but I know for a fact that arousal = attraction. If that's the case, then many of the people I know- rape victims- were clearly attracted to the person who violated them, and this is simply untrue. :/ When it comes to romantic and sexual attraction however, I am a bit torn- I think that you can love someone without being sexually attracted to them, but it is hard to say whether that is "real love" or a platonic friendship that the people involve merely insist is more. I can say that I have seen very few of those relationships work out, and most of the time it works out because it's asexuals dating asexuals, or otherwise someone who doesn't want sex for another reason.

4. Reptillian

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2811244/

https://news.uchicago.edu/article/2...-brain-s-sweet-spot-love-neurological-patient

Second link points to the actual study cited and a picture which suggests love and lust are being processed in different area of the brain.

---------- Post added 10th Dec 2016 at 06:59 AM ----------

Also, I wish I can edit comment here, but while there are overlaps observed in the second link, differences observed makes it entirely possible to separate love and lust, and even mixed orientations.

5. iiimee

^ I guess I can sort of see how romantic and sexual attraction are different... I mean, there's been people I've hated who I've also found extremely sexy. XD Still, it seems like it would be exceptionally rare for one of those relationships to work out, as I said, simply because people who only feel an emotional love for someone but aren't asexual may get bored after awhile... Most humans hope for sex when they enter a relationship, and that's perfectly normal.

6. Reptillian

In general, if you are a heteroromantic homosexual or vice versa, you are going to have a pretty bad time. Asexuals can compromise, but from what I hear, they do not work out in the end.

7. AgenderMoose

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Ha ha haaaahhhhhh story of my life and all of my fearssssss

8. Flowey

I only speak for myself.
    I did call myself a heteroromantic homosexual once because it made sense to me at the time. I found it incredibly hard to make an emotional connection with a guy, while girls were much easier to talk to and more understanding. Guys my age were just shit to talk to. Later in life, I could actually form emotional bonds with guys. All doubt's gone. I'm just gay.
    So yeah, I'm one of the people who don't support the separation of romantic attraction and sexual attraction. Maybe there are genuine cases but I bet most are just socially induced things..

9. dublinz

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    Problem with studies is that if you look hard enough, you will find one with the exact opposite findings.

For every study that states "whatever", there are ten that state the opposite. Additionally, were the results biased? Were they protected as they are supposed to be?

I just had an encounter with a study which should have been closely guarded and the fellow hired to disseminate it wanted a quick buck and forewent all the safety guards.

So...