1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How do I overcome depression and accept my sexuality?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Georgia111, Dec 11, 2016.

1. Georgia111

Hi everyone, i'm having some problems with accepting the fact that I'm bi. This was never really a problem before, but recently it has been bothering me and affecting my life severely. Any advice? How did you come to terms with your sexuality?

2. Ram90

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    What about it bothers you? I had a hard time accepting I was gay years ago. At that time I didn't want to realize I was Gay since it was a taboo thing in my opinion. The circumstances were tough and I was young at that time so that didn't help either. I was scared of being homosexual and what that would mean for me, my family and how society would brand me.

3. Georgia111

I don't really have a problem with my homosexual feelings or anything like that, but I'm just scared that because i'm a bi girl people will think that I'm just doing it for attention. I just want to be who i really am without all these stupid stereotypes such as greedy, confused, attention seeking etc

4. bubbles123

bubbles123 Guest

I find when I'm struggling with something like that, it helps to sit down with no distractions and think really deeply about it. Of course, you should probably only do this when you are feeling okay and not depressed. Think about why exactly you're not okay with it, and think about why it is that other people feel that way about bi people, and why those opinions are affecting you in this way. Ask yourself questions your afraid to ask. Sometimes it helps to ask why 5 times: You ask one question, then when you get an answer, ask why that is the answer, and keep doing that.

Sorry that's just one random way I like to sort things out. It will probably time and that's okay! You've been raised in a world that conditions you to think that being straight is the default, and that liking multiple genders is something to be looked down upon. It's not! It's natural to struggle with accepting yourself and you deserve time and self-patience.

Biphobia is very narrow-minded. Mostly I think it comes down to sexism. It's why people call lesbians who haven't slept with men "gold stars," because our culture circulates around the idea that being penetrated by a penis means you've been dominated, made impure. There's no logic in that, and revering women in the LGBT+ community who haven't slept with men or who are more masculine-presenting only further serves to slut shame those who don't fall into that category. A woman could sleep with a hundred women in many situations and be considered cool, but sleep with one man and be looked down upon. There's no logic behind that. It's all just ridiculous and perpetuated by people who just give into these useless cultural ideas. You know who you are, and you don't deserve the labels that some people may put on bisexuals. You're not confused or attention-seeking. You feel what you feel and nobody can or should change that. I hope this helps and know that in time, this will get better. Best of luck:slight_smile:

---------- Post added 11th Dec 2016 at 08:10 PM ----------

Also this self-care guide can help when you're feeling down. I use it a lot.

5. Georgia111

This really helped me. Thank u for all the advice! I'll try to just give myself some time. Thanks again for replying and showing an interest. It means a lot <3