1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What's in a Gay Movie?

Discussion in 'Chit Chat' started by Legnaj, Apr 4, 2009.

1. Legnaj

Legnaj Guest

Ok so I was never really able to relate to most movies when I was younger. On an emotional level I couldnt relate to the relationships of most heterosexual movies. In every movie there was always a main plot and a romantic sub-plot in where the protagonist falls in love with the opposite sex. Now I noticed that most of those romantic sub-plots are shown to either end in an overly emotional way, like a cinderalla story or a beginning of a cinderella story to come. It is very rare that the (heterosexual) romantic sub-plot ends in a tragedy but it does happend, but that tragedy usually leads to, again, a cinderella type of ending.

Now the homosexual romantic sub-plot is very diffrent. In most (if not all) GLBT movies, the story completely revolves around a romance that is almost, always forbidden. The story ends again in 2 ways, and in my opinion, both are tragedies. They either end with one, if not both characters dying at the end or they end with the impression that the relationship is that of a normal one. That the two can finally live normally in a hostile world. This I can relate to. I just wish that more GLBT movies didnt have tragic endings. We need more with cinderella type endings. I mean the only movies that get credit and awards are the ones with the tragic endings.

This thread really doesnt have a point but Im curious to find out what impressions/ opinons do you have on GLBT movies.

#1 Legnaj, Apr 4, 2009
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 4, 2009
  2. Kirakishou

Transamerica didn't have any romance in it, but it had a pretty happy ending. Not Cinderella happy, but happy nonetheless.

3. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I always get reminded of Shelter with these types of threads, and that always puts a sour taste in my mouth, so get ready for bitterness:

I almost never like them. As you said, there are very few movies with homosexuality as a major plot point that do not fall into one of two categories: one or both involved partners dies, or it's an amazingly basic romance plot with the only unique point being that the main couple is gay. The awards don't matter, the attractiveness of the leads don't matter, the underlying political message doesn't matter; if it's a shitty movie, I'm probably not going to like it.

4. Greggers

Gay ROMANCE?

Ive watched quite a few, and alot do end in tragedy (quite realistic for alot of relationships if you think about it) but i find more than that they end happy.

Latter Days, Shelter, Touch of Pink, Boy Culture, Trick

These are some of my favorites, and they all end very happy :slight_smile: Well ok, Trick is like a shit-fest that does end in a happy note but happy none the less.

I find Gay Romance to be quite....well, stereotypical in the plot lines. Its always two guys, one or both struggling with there sexuality and/or struggling to tell someone(s). They have a meeting, then the romance starts to blossom but one of them is scared to go for it, then they have some form of a "Weeeee we are SO happy" section of the movie, then it goes to major conflict, normally about family or friends not liking the relationship or being outed when they dont want to be, then they grow apart, then they end up back together right in time for the credits to roll.

It seems to atleast SOMEWHAT follow that pattern for most of the ones ive seen.

*edit: adding this part in, forgot to say this!

I wish that more gay romances were about two guys 100% confidant in there sexuality. Out to everyone, or dont give a fuck who knows. Id love to see less "forbidden love" and more...JUST love. It would be nice to have a movie were you could easily swap out one of the guys for a woman and have it still make sense.

#4 Greggers, Apr 4, 2009
    Last edited: Apr 4, 2009
  5. dragon

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    tragic endings are what we got usually form these movies, but watch more, then you'll find happy endings.

I guess all movies have its own purposes to the society, some just would like to capture a relationship of 2 gays in a rejection. some would like to capture the struggle of gay couple.

well, i guess when we find a tragic ending, we tell to ourselves not to have such end and start to do better
    or
    when we find a nice ending, we tell to ourselves that we're getting there

Movies can be inspirational and always to entertain

6. Legnaj

Legnaj Guest

AMEN

I mean I enjoy watching them because its something I can Identify with but its like watching a slasher film. We know whats going to happend before it happends. In the collection that I own I only have one movie where they dont give a flying hoot but again at the end they break up and go to a normal life.

Shelter, Latter Days, Beautiful Thing, Latter days, BBM, Get Real, Billy's Hollywood Screen Kiss, Breakfast with Scot, Burnt Money, Tan lines, Yossi and Jagger, Love of Siam and more follow the same cliche and all end tragically or the characters go on to a normal life.

The only real "gay" movies are documentaries, in my opinion.

7. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well, I'm not much a movie watcher, but I don't have any trouble watching (and enjoying, to some limited degree) films about straight romances. Yeah, the couple is straight, but I can extrapolate. The only thing I hate about most romance-type films is how hackneyed they all are, especially when it comes to (ick) romantic-comedies. Those films are about as spontaneous as kabuki, with the stock characters meeting in a cute way, falling in love, breaking up on some lame premise, and then getting back together on some even lamer one.

And honestly, I don't like "gay movies" any more than straight ones. They always make me feel like...I dunno, like I'm being pandered to. "Hey, homosexuals! We've made a movie just for you!" And, in general, being gay ends up being, in many ways, the entire plot. And there's nothing wrong about a movie about coming to grips with your sexuality, coming out, homophobia...except that it so rarely resonates. These people don't have to be telling MY story, but I should get the sense that they're telling SOMEBODY's story, and I just rarely feel that way. I get more of a feeling that the moviemaker is simply rattling off a checklist. "Scene where homophobe threatens the hero? Check."

I read a lot instead. :slight_smile:

Lex

8. littledinosaurs

DEBS was a happy gay movie! lol <3

9. Lumi Nie

The gay movies I've seen (I have to say, not that much American, but more Asian) all had a very sad ending in them. Usually in the movies I've seen one of the persons die. :frowning2: So sad. I need to see some movies with happy ending! ^_^

10. Wander

Wander Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Now that I think about it, they remind me a whole lot of Disney and Dreamworks CGI movies: two characters, usually non-humans, befriend each other because they share a mutual conflict. They travel all over the place trying to solve the conflict, and about halfway through the movie, something major happens and they get into a fight and split up. A short montage of sad scenes plays, usually with some footage of the characters walking slowly with their heads down, and then the characters reunite and totally make up. The non-humans take down the evil humans, everyone joins in, and they all celebrate while the credits roll.

Just replace "non-human" with "gay".

11. Mysterons

Mysterons Guest

I couldn't agree more! I absolutely hate romantic comedies, chick flicks, or whatever you call them. The plotlines are crammed with clichés and the protagonists are always annoyingly good-looking.

12. Greggers

Hah i love those types of movies. They are not supposed to be "Oscar winning" movies or anything, they are simply feel good popcorn movies you watch to gush over the well thought out choice of the heart-throb male lead!

Mmmmm eye candy....